Funny Hunting Stories.... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Funny Hunting Stories....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Partner looked at me, without a pause, said "But I could be wrong."
ROFL! That is a good one!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #12

Liked 76 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Mothers first goose hunt.

I remember a story my mother related about her first goose hunt, My folks were ranchers in Northern Nebraska in the hilly country next the Niobrara river breaks, the time was winter my folks had rented a corn field to overwinter ther stock cows on the cornstalks, the cattle could rummage for downd corn, we useally fed the cows once a day (hay and cake) and made shure they had salt/minerals and water, during evining chores they shook out some mineral in the salt box, Mom noticed some geese were hanging round the edge the corn stalks, The Canadian Geese were picking kernals of corn out the cow ****, mom was amazed the geese appeard docile, Dad said he would try and nab one and they eased the pickup slowly in the direction of the geese when 20yds distant Dad pulled to a gental stop and had Mom ease her side window down, Dad meinwhile slowly pulled the shotgun out the gun rack (back window) and made ready, very slowly sighted on a likely target and dusted off a shot takeing a nice size corn fed Canada goose, Mother related how she had always been under the impression Goose hunting involved hard ship and freezing in a cold blind wateing for some geese to come by, she wonderd why would one do that when they could easily shoot them from the heated cab of the 1/2 ton 4x4?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #13

Default In My Face

This is a short story from a Collection I wrote about my adventures In Alaska in my younger yrs. Hope it isn't too long.
In My Face

My brother and I and a friend named Mike had hiked over to Keena Cove to try and get a deer. We were living at Coal Bay and had been out of fresh meat for a while. Keena Cove is a pretty good place to hunt.
There is a small valley behind the cove that was logged quite a few years back. The valley was grown up with new trees mingled with brush and the slash that was left from the logging operation. There are old logging roads about half way up the slope on both sides of the valley. The roads haven’t been used for a very long time and there are alder trees growing in the roadbeds.
We found an old Fresno road grader sitting where it had been left after the last time it was used. It was a horse drawn grader so it is pretty likely that the operation was early in the turn of the century. It was in perfect condition except for some rust. We often speculated about how we could get it out of there and sell it to some collector or museum. That never happened but I’m sure some one got it.
The preferred method to hunt Keena was to have some one up on the road to watch the clear cut and some one else to go into it and get the deer moving. Visibility was limited at ground level and from the road you could see a lot more ground.
The problem was without some one in the clear cut the deer didn’t move much; they would bed down during the day and it took some one to spook them to make them move. If you were a really stealthy hunter and very patient it was possible to walk up on one but the odds were against you.
This particular day the three of us had walked up the road on the east side of the valley. We were reluctant to go into the brush and tangle of the clear cut. I guess we were just feeling lazy that day. We sat on the side of the road just below the roadbed and watched the clear cut hoping to see some movement. It was a bright sunny day and warm for the time of year. After about half an hour I moved a little further down on the jumble of large rocks that were placed as fill on the side of the hill. I spotted a rock that looked a lot more comfortable than the one I was on.
Mike was directly above me and my brother was moving back and forth between us and occasionally throwing rocks down it the brush to try and scare a deer out of its bed. He managed to spook a few ptarmigan but not much else. They were quite a distance below. No one had a .22 or shotgun so they were safe for the moment.
I got to my rock and was making myself comfortable on it. It had a large flat area and I was thinking about how good it would be to lie down, put my coat under my head and snooze in the sun for a while. Nothing was stirring below and it was really warm in the sun. My brother finally got bored with his rock throwing and decided to scout around. Mike was sitting above me watching the valley below for any sign of deer.
The sun and boredom finally got to me and I laid my head down on my coat and was almost instantly asleep. I’m not sure how long I slept but it was long enough to make me groggy when I woke up and to drool on the front of my shirt.
I tried to come out of my sleep-induced fog and sat up. I moved up to another rock just above my napping place. I sat on it with my knees drawn up in front of me. I looked back to see Mike still sitting on the same rock like a stone carving watching and alert as ever. That man was is one of the best hunters I know. He can move through the woods like a puff of smoke and sit for hours without making a discernable move.
I couldn’t see my brother but the last time I had seen him he was going down the slope below me into the brush near the beginning of the clear cut. He was wearing a green wool halibut jacket and a black felt hat called a crusher. It was a wool felt, shapeless hat that the loggers used to wear.
As I looked over the edge of the rock fill I thought I saw the brush move a little at the very bottom of the slope. Could have been the breeze or maybe my brother moving around. Still nothing we could call meat moving around. I sat there for a while longer slowly coming out of my wakeup stupor.
I looked down again and again I thought I saw movement. It was directly below me so Mike couldn’t see it. I signaled him to look down. He gestured that he couldn’t see anything. I shrugged and went back to looking and sort of half way day dreaming. There it was again a little further up the slope; just some brush and small saplings moving a little.
I stood and carefully looked the whole area over but couldn’t see any thing. I didn’t want to call out to see if it was my brother or not because shouting isn’t really a good hunting technique. I stayed alert and on guard for a few more minutes then decided it was my imagination. The next time I saw it, it was much closer and I saw some movement and a flash of something black.
I knew then it was my brother working his way back up the slope. It was very steep below me and I wondered why he was coming up that way. I wasn’t really surprised because my brother is very hard headed; if you tell him the sun is shining he will turn on his lights. It’s like that saying: you can always tell him but you can’t tell him much. In my brother’s case you cant tell him anything.
Well the mystery was solved so I went back to scanning the clear-cut and thinking how good it would be to have some sweet venison liver for dinner.
There it was again the movement and the glimpse of something black. I was sure it was my brother but I couldn’t see into the dense brush, there it was again the movement and the glimpse of something black.
I leaned back on my elbows and my rifle was lying across my legs. There was a round in the chamber and the hammer was at half cock, which is the safe position. There was a slight rustle of brush in front of me and suddenly I was eye to eye with the biggest Black Bear I had ever seen.
I have been close to bears before but never that close; and never sitting down. He was at eye level with me and I could feel his breath on my face. I was so shocked I froze for an instant. My reflexes took over and I tried to throw my rifle up to my shoulder. Some how I got the sling tangled around my foot and wound up falling over on my back
I finally managed to sit up and bring the rifle into firing position but I was so flustered that instead of shooting I levered a live round out on the ground and another one into the chamber. By the time I found the sight picture all I saw was a huge black rump going into the brush at a high rate of speed.
I can only imagine what it looked like from Mike’s position above me. When I gained enough composure to stand up I found that my knees were very shaky and I had to sit back down for a few minutes. As I sat there I had the feeling that I had been very close to serious injury or even death.

I guess I startled the bear as much as he startled me. That isn’t always a good thing; he could have just as easily taken a bite out of my face. Bears are unpredictable especially
when you startle them. Mike was above me watching the whole scene but he couldn’t shoot because I was in his line of fire
After the adrenaline started to recede and I stopped shaking I could see the humor in it and I had to laugh at the spectacle I must have made flopping around on the ground trying to get my rifle up. We decided to call it a day and went home without any venison or bear meat thankful that I hadn’t been a late fall snack for that bear
A bear in my face was just another of those adventures I had come to expect living in this beautiful and exciting place called South East Alaska

By Ronald L Arnce

Live free or die. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what is for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. I will give up my guns but I insist on being the last man to do so. John 3:16,10:10 Acts 11:7

Old 03-02-2010, 04:54 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Crazy deer attack

Ok, a few weeks ago I was playing paintball. The field I was at is kind of out there and I was noticing a lot of turkey and deer tracks while setting up the bunkers, I mean a lot of tracks. About half way through the day this psychotic deer, maybe a year and a half old doe, comes out of the woods next to the snake and starts attacking the player! The guy goes to defend himself by picking up a good size rock and giving the deer a few good blows to get it off him. We all scared the thing back into the woods and after a few minutes I go in the woods to "drain the main vain" and what would you know I see a little white belly about 30 yards into the brush. Sure enough the guy did a good number on the deer and ended up killing it.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
Ok, a few weeks ago I was playing paintball. The field I was at is kind of out there and I was noticing a lot of turkey and deer tracks while setting up the bunkers, I mean a lot of tracks. About half way through the day this psychotic deer, maybe a year and a half old doe, comes out of the woods next to the snake and starts attacking the player! The guy goes to defend himself by picking up a good size rock and giving the deer a few good blows to get it off him. We all scared the thing back into the woods and after a few minutes I go in the woods to "drain the main vain" and what would you know I see a little white belly about 30 yards into the brush. Sure enough the guy did a good number on the deer and ended up killing it.
that's just mean lol

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 03-02-2010, 06:05 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioActiV View Post
that's just mean lol
The deer or the guy?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:12 AM   #17

This happened to me while I was deer hunting with a friend.
1st hunt too.

We Head out to my friends hunting spot one cloudy morning. I take my 20 gauge and a Few slugs and He takes his .22. I asked Him if he thought he could take a Deer with such a small caliber. He said that he could take one with the .22 before I could with my 20 gauge, So It was sorta a bet.
We start walking along the Property, After about 2 hours and 3 miles. We See a BIG, no HUGE BUCK. I saw it first and raised my 20 gauge, had my sights right on him, Maybe 20 yards. Go to pull the trigger and my friend shoots at a squrriel.....The deer gets spooked and runs, I tried to stop my finger but I already hit the trigger.. BAM....apperantly I get lucky and Un-lucky. Lucky, I took off a Squrriels head. Not so Lucky, I was standing in a semi-wet and Slippery mud spot, and I was standing on a Slant.... The recoil of the Slug made me fall. Thank God I went back first though.... Right Into a Cow pie..... :-D YEA FIRST DEER HUNT!!!!!

Old 03-09-2010, 04:41 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1885 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

Default single shot rifle and one eyed dog

This ain't no deer hunt, but maybe a Turkey hunt. One night while out coon huntin with out the dog and nuthin but head light. I spotted that tell tale yellow eyed cousin to the dog. I took a few more steps to get a good head shot when all hell broke loose. I had steped right in the middle of a flock of Quail. Believe you me You have to experience this once in your life when your out in the woods by your self at age 14. Any one here eat Gator. Wills in da swamp in La.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:47 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
The deer or the guy?
the deer was what i was referring to

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 03-09-2010, 05:49 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioActiV View Post
the deer was what i was referring to
Even the turkeys are mean, my buddy who works at the field said a turkey tore up one of the inflatable bunkers.