Fish Shooting

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Fish Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Fish Shooting

Is there any way to shoot fish with a gun (while they are underwater of course for hunting purposes)?

I know you can do it with a bow and arrow and that bullets typically lose alot of their power and the trajectory gets all skewed in water.

What if you had pointy bullets made for water somehow? There have to be certain rifles that can fire a far enough distance underwater to hit a fish...

Ever forgot your fishing pole but had a firearm?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2007, 12:22 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I think the easiest way to put this is, NO! Bullets can and will ricochet off of water.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:00 AM   #3

Default Underwater shooting

There is what they call a boom stick or some call it a bang stick, it is primarly used by under water divers, it's a poll that is ajustable from 2-6 feet and at the end of it is a 12 gauge barrel that is discharged by striking it against an object, just takes a little tap, you really don't have any range, the poll must come in contact with target, people use it to kill sharks, I'm sure this is a last resort thing as killing one fish with a boom stick is probably the equivelent to swimming with a chum bag around your neck, it would be just a matter of minutes maybe seconds before you would have shark city on your hands, thoes of you that saltwater fish can relate!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Hand grenades solves the problems. Well, it worked for me overseas.

Seriously it has been proven that anything/anyone under the water just a few feet is impervious to any gunfire, including a .50 cal.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 09-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #5

Likes Given: 2

i was snowmobiling in a state park.. i saw 2 guys with firearms shooting into the water, and the dog was waiting for a kill...

did they get anything... they had too much beer and ammo around them for me to go anywhere near them...

should i have called them in? i diddn't know if 911 would do that sort of thing

Old 09-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnorse View Post
i was snowmobiling in a state park.. i saw 2 guys with firearms shooting into the water, and the dog was waiting for a kill...

did they get anything... they had too much beer and ammo around them for me to go anywhere near them...

should i have called them in? i diddn't know if 911 would do that sort of thing
911 may not but in most states you can call a hotline and report these kinds of stupid and criminal acts. Every hunter or fisherman should have this number on speed dial in his phone for his area or state. These people are not helping up they are helping themselves and hurting all of us in the long run.

We used to deal with it in a different way in the mountians of Northern California. We would have orenintal immagrants come and 40 or 50 of them would drive deer to two or three of them threw camp sites over cliffs what ever. Then the two or three that were waiting would start killing as manyas they could so everyone got a deer. We on more than one occation made it to where these (Insert expletive here) had to walk down out of the mountians because we flattend tires, cut radiador hoses, spark plug wires totaly disabeling vehicles. If we could have gotten away with it we would have shot the perps too.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Legal in Vermont for Pike, Pickeral, carp, etc...

You don't actually shot the fish, just near it. The shock wave stuns them and they float to the surface. It's generally done in swampy areas where the water is shallow.

I've never done it, but I've heard about it. It is mentioned in the Vt fish and game rule books.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #8

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

You won't hit anything underwater because of the tendancy of bullets to break up when they hit the water. But in the case of fish, you don't even have to hit them to kill them. Fish have nervendings near their gills that are VERY sensitive to vibrations. The entense vibrations and/or concusion of the bullet hitting the water is enough to kill most fish.

But PLEASE use some common sense and don't shoot into water, the bullets could richocette and hit you or someone else.

GET A FISHING POLE, if the game wardon finds out you are shooting fish, your ass is grass.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 09-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfield View Post
Legal in Vermont for Pike, Pickeral, carp, etc...

You don't actually shot the fish, just near it. The shock wave stuns them and they float to the surface. It's generally done in swampy areas where the water is shallow.

I've never done it, but I've heard about it. It is mentioned in the Vt fish and game rule books.

I have done this, once. During the early spring when Lake Champlain floods out the coastlines, the pickerel move into the shallow water. Look for the ripple and shoot at it. The concussion stuns them, they float to the top and you spear them.

I was only about 16 at the time, but after hearing the bullets ricochet through the trees, I decided I didn't have any interest in doing it again. Legal or not, common sense told me it was a bad idea. Plus, when my dad found out, I had trouble opening my mouth for a few days...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 09-18-2008, 12:14 AM   #10

It is legal in Virginia . . . . from the Dept. of Game & Inland Fishery's website:
Strong populations of redhorse suckers and carp are available for anglers with the prowess and inclination to pursue them. These bottom-feeding fish can be caught on small pieces of worm fished on small hooks and light line, especially during the spring months. Redhorse suckers are most visible in the shallow water near the tails of pools. In Scott County, these shoals are the focal points of a unique spring tradition - the sucker shooting season. From April 15 to May 31 enthusiasts climb to platforms built in trees along the river to gain a better view of the river. These shooting platforms are often located at perilous heights, and are easy to spot when floating the river.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but that it is regulated and legal.