Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   First waterfowl experience (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/first-waterfowl-experience-21437/)

ta1588 12-24-2009 08:04 AM

First waterfowl experience

I am spending Christmas at a ranch in Nebraska and at 5 AM this morning I went on my first duck hunt. It was the first time I've been on any hunt at all even. It was a very interesting thing to do although I wasn't doing the shooting. It looks like it takes a lot of skill to really get them in and make the shot. The guys I was with reached the limits around 8 or 9 and we left with 6 geese and 10 mallards. What do you guys think about duck hunts?

hunter Joe 12-24-2009 02:47 PM

One of the most exiting hunting I do is laying in the middle of a cut corn field amongst a few dozen goose deeks. There's nothing like watching the geese circle a couple of times and then they start lock'n and rock'n, and then someone shouts take em. More than once I had to roll out of the way to save from being hit by a goose falling out of the sky.

dukech1 12-24-2009 05:39 PM

I love to hunt ducks, as much as hunting deer. We have had lots of rain this fall so we hunt on flooded fields, which is better than jump shooting IMO. We mainly get woody's and mallards, some teal early in the season and then a pretty good mix of widgeon and pintails.

.22hustler 12-24-2009 05:54 PM

I stopped all my hunting except for waterfowl years ago.I used to hunt on Lake Ontario, shooting divers, and the occasional goose.Nothing like being frozen in place waiting for a flock of golden eyes to come in!!!

suprdave 12-28-2009 03:31 PM

There is nothing...I repeat, NOTHING like a group of 50 mallards cupped up and diving in front of you. I stopped all other hunting to concentrate on ducks. I haven't regretted my choice...;)

Glasshartt 12-28-2009 08:46 PM

I haven't done it in about 20 years, but I had a great time. I have a great Mallard Drake in flight on my dining room wall. (even though DZScubie hates it :p)

suprdave 12-28-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glasshartt (Post 205252)
I haven't done it in about 20 years, but I had a great time. I have a great Mallard Drake in flight on my dining room wall. (even though DZScubie hates it :p)

You tell Scubie to shut his pie-hole and take you hunting! If he knows what's good for him...:D

ItsmeShane 12-29-2009 04:09 AM

im on vacation next week, and plan to go on my first duck hunt with a buddy. Im definitely looking forward to it.

Dzscubie 12-29-2009 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suprdave (Post 205265)
You tell Scubie to shut his pie-hole and take you hunting! If he knows what's good for him...:D

Hey Dave!!! Donít encourage her! :eek: She is hard enough to live with as it is, besides who the hell has a Duck, in full flight mind you, mounted on the wall of their formal dining room??? :confused:

suprdave 12-29-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzscubie (Post 205461)
Hey Dave!!! Don’t encourage her! :eek: She is hard enough to live with as it is, besides who the hell has a Duck, in full flight mind you, mounted on the wall of their formal dining room??? :confused:

I have 4 (in full flight, and 1 standing, along with a deer mount, hog tusks and an albino squirrel) in my den...I had to mess with you