Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > first time spring turkey hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default first time spring turkey hunting

I will be heading to the woods with my 16 year old son later this month for my first spring turkey hunt . I will be using a mossberg 835 with 3.5 inch shells using #4 turkey loads . my question is how far can i hit a turkey with this?the barrel is a 24 inch with extra full turkey choke.The guy at the counter told me these shells would shoot out to 75 yards , but that just seems awful far to me from a shotgun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IMHO you need to get out and shoot that load and choke combination to see how it patterns at various yardage.

The longest shot I've made to date with my 835 with a super full choke and 3"-4x6 copper coated duplex turkey loads was 45 paces. This was back in the early 90s when I first started hunting those Thunder Chickens. At any rate it was exiting because it was my first turkey and my second year hunting.

I did not have the patients in those early days of turkey hunting that I have today and probably would not attempt a shot that far anymore because I have a few fans on the wall now. I try to stay under 25 yards and I don't use a blind. I'm now in it for the challenge.

Those shells may travel 75 yards but I'd hazard to guess they will only bounce off a turkey. Believe it or not those toms are pretty hard to kill.

By the way, when your patterning those 3.5" shells, wear heavy jacket cause they'll beat you to death. Shoot Straight and be Safe, Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 03-13-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #3

Roger that

Old 03-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I agree with Joe. 75 yards is not a shot I would take at a turkey. 40 yards is more realistic. You will know more after you pattern the loads.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #5

My first year hunting I got over eager and being uses to rifles I took a shot at about 75 meters, I now know better. felt really embarassed. I totally agree with the other guys keep it close. you risk being seen but its unreal to watch them strut 15 meters in front of you, and the gobble will make your heart skip a beat.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #6

good luck by the way