first time deer doggin
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > first time deer doggin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default first time deer doggin

As a native Texan, I had the opportunity to travel to south Georgia in Dec . and experiance a true southern tradition of running deer with dogs ....the practice was outlawed in Texas some years back before I even started deer hunting . I had the hunt of a lifetime ...the fun , food ,fellowship , stories around the fire,the history of Portal hunting club in Riceboro,Ga est in 1900 ....was more than I expected .I hunted with some gents in their 70's whose grandfathers were members . 3 generations of the Deal family were the highlight of my hunt. The sound of the walkers and beagle on the races is something I 'll treasure the rest of my life. I hope to go back next year. I encourage everbody that loves the outdoors to step out of their box ,and try something different ,meet some new friends ,see some different country,become part of someone else's traditions or hunting style , and then do the same in return to someone who has never hunted in your tradtional style , that is what makes memories and that is what makes hunters . There were several shirt tails cut off due to missed deer ....This was done in ''Court '' where the ''offender'' had to explain in great detail about who /what /why the deer wasn't hanging in the cooler! On the last hunt of the last day, the walkers /beagles ran 2 does out by my stand at about 40 yrds.... 2 shots ....2 deer hanging in the cooler ....they cut my shirt tail off too ....not for missing a deer .....but for wearing my cap in the kitchen ! Which isn't done at Portal club.....Tradition .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #2

Liked 1282 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 546

No need to go all the way to GA. Most of the Sporstman's paradise allows the use of dogs to hunt deer. It is why I allocate of week of my vacation every year to visit the Sportsman's Paradise in mid-December.

No better deer hunting experience than hearing the hounds turn in your direction and suddenly the branches start snapping! Just MHO.

Glad I bought my lifetime LA fishing & hunting license before I had to move.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #3

Default deer doggin

I live in east tx ...40 miles from lousiana ....i really wanted to go to ga ..after talking to a man that had been a member at Portal ...it is the oldest est deer dog club in the whole state of ga . I think they still run em in arkansas too . i wasnt sure about the lic. requirements of my neiboring states ...a 3 day non resident hunting /fishing lic is 20.00 ,big game deer permit is 90.00 , deer dog fee is 5.00 ....115.00 total lic and fees /tax not bad for a non resident . I think to hunt Texas for a non resident is over 300.00. when you come down to lousiana next year give me a holler ill take you hunting at my club ...deer ,hogs or ducks ..903 692 0014 powg

Old 01-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1149 Posts
Likes Given: 10417

Driving deer with dogs. When I lived in North Carolina, I thought that this was a rather lazy and half a$$ed way of hunting. Then my dad and I tried it for ourselves. We both learned that we were wrong to judge the practice by all the drunks parked on the side of the road on the state lands. We went out with an organized club and had the time of our lives.

One gent in the club had a STRANGE AND UNIQUE way of hunting with his deer dog. He would cover his bull dog with doe in estrus, and let him wander the trails on his property. When the dog walked back home, it would pass under his stand, usually followed by a large buck. Because the dog walked so slow, the deer would just walk along behind it never suspecting that it was a set up. You should have seen his trophy room, it was very impressive.

Now I live in a state where it is illegal to hunt deer with dogs. The only exception is if you call the DEC for help in tracking down a lost deer. They may send a tracker with a dog to help you recover it, or tell you to call in a better tracker than yourself.

Thanks for bringing back a few good memories to a forced yankee on a cold winters night.You're right,new experiences can be eye opening, and a lot of fun.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Last edited by kfox75; 01-19-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #5

Default kfox ..u got me thinkin

I hunt a very long pipeline over 1000 yrds long ....your friends estus dog gave me an idea ....a radio controled all terrain toy monster truck could drag a rag soaked in hot doe up and down the pipeline easier and quieter than I could ....could use it coyote hunting too ,set up the call and cover the truck with a piece of fake fur and make slow cirles 4-6 ft .

Old 01-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1149 Posts
Likes Given: 10417

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
I hunt a very long pipeline over 1000 yrds long ....your friends estus dog gave me an idea ....a radio controled all terrain toy monster truck could drag a rag soaked in hot doe up and down the pipeline easier and quieter than I could ....could use it coyote hunting too ,set up the call and cover the truck with a piece of fake fur and make slow cirles 4-6 ft .
That would be something to try powg. If you do let me know how it turns out. Coyote season is still on up here, and the local archery shop is holding it's 'yote contest. I wonder if I can draw out the big SOB I keep seeing in my back yard like that. I know where the wife and I will be tomorow night!

Thanks for the inspiration, If we get him and win one of the cash prizes, I'll split it with you.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #7

I Lived in South Carolina for 14 years and went on several hunts where they released the hounds. Great time. Savanah River plant used to offer draw hunts for deer hunting on their property. All the hunts were with dogs, and lots of them. I remember my first hunt there, I stepped outside to take a look around and went to an area where all the dog handlers were. I thought I stepped out into a Wal-Mart parking lot on Black friday. Yes there were that many trucks loaded with dogs. The workers there do all the transportation and handle all the game (deer and hogs, no limit). As soon as the first dog yells, it sounded like a war zone. Don't get me wrong, it was a very safe hunt as each hunter had their own area to site. Take a lot of buck shot. I have known some to shoot up four boxes in one sitting. You change locations after lunch. And yes take everything with you that you will need for a days hunt, because you are out all day. I enjoyed each and every dog hunt I have ever been on. It is different and not for everyone. If anyone is ever offered the chance you ought to try this true southern tradition.