Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > First time coyote hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
LOL - She sounds like a keeper, but get her out of the Cabela's catalog for that high tech stuff. Gen IV would be awesome. But mucho $$$ and I have heard they really eat the batteries.

But, having one would be a very nice addition. I am looking at adding a Night Vision Attachment for my Boltgun Scopes. Something of a snap on, snap off, you be dead all night long toy.
Yea, those Gen IV toys are just a dream. I would not buy from Cabela's for any of that. They are way too proud of all of their stuff. The way I figure it, the more and more those coyotes wake her up, the easier it will be to work that into some fun stuff that would also take care of the night shift zombies.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, those Gen IV toys are just a dream. I would not buy from Cabela's for any of that. They are way too proud of all of their stuff. The way I figure it, the more and more those coyotes wake her up, the easier it will be to work that into some fun stuff that would also take care of the night shift zombies.
Nice!

JD

Old 03-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #13

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

A 12ga w/ #4 lead is great medicine. The .17HMR is not a good round. For a bounty your 7mm08 is better. What calls are you using? I have some that you can use on CD.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #14
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5617 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4695

I would really like to read a post of a confirmed coyote kill with the ipod/iphone "Kitty!" app providing the "call".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 03-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #15

Thanks for the advise all. Appreciate it. We didn't get a coyote but it still beats a good day at work. We sat in three fields yesterday. Saw a shadow, dog sized, in the bushes, but really couldn't make out what it was, from the first field. All we had was an injured rabbit call and I doubt I used that properly. No luck on the second, and sat the rest of the evening in a friends farm field. Shots up to 500 yrds there. I did feel a bit under calibered then. I will take the advise of using the 7mm08. Thanks. I knew it was a no go when the wind started clocking on the field, but we stayed there anyways. We did manage to draw in a red tail hawk and a bald eagle though, that was pretty neat. I wish it was deer season though because we counted about 30 deer yesterday. Saw one that could have easily passed 230. That is a decent size deer around here.

Not the change the subject here, but I did want to share a story that still has me wipping my shorts. Well I have known my friend for a long time that I went hunting with. We shoot together all the time and I consider him responsible with his firearms. With that said. I was in his house as he was getting ready for the days hunt. He had a Ruger 45 auto sitting on his dining table. I noticed it was cocked so I asked him if I could look at it. He replied sure. I checked it if it was loaded and it was. I noticed the swing lever on the back of the slide but didn't know if it was just the safety or a decocker. So I asked, handing him back the gun, rather than messing with a firearm that I am unfamiliar with. I carefully handed the gun back to him reminding him it was still loaded. He responded no problem the safety is on. He takes the gun and to demonstrate the safety and POW!!!! ...Excuse me wipping my shorts..... the gun discharges. Fortunitly it was only his kitchen floor that suffered any casualty. Just a good reminder to check your safety...ALWAYS.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think in that type of situation you need to do mare than just check the safety, I think he needed to check his $hit at the door. That could of ended up real tragic like.

A buddy and I were sitting on a couch a crossed the room from another buddie. He was showing us how he kept the hammer on his .357 revolver on an empty chamber when, kapow, he shoots a hole through the couch we were sitting on. Talk about checking your shorts. Should of kicked his ass but we just got up and left never to returned to his house again. I still ride his ass about it ever time I see him and he still gets pissed at me, o'well.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #17

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
He takes the gun and to demonstrate the safety and POW!!!! ...Excuse me wipping my shorts..... the gun discharges. Fortunitly it was only his kitchen floor that suffered any casualty.
Friends are friends, I understand that, but the fact that one of you could have been a DEAD friend.....if it were me, I would rethink that relationship.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
He takes the gun and to demonstrate the safety and POW!!!! ...Excuse me wipping my shorts..... the gun discharges.
Demonstrate the safety?
I never keep a loaded gun indoors, I check and double check that they are empty before puting them in their holsters after a hunting trip and heading back home.
Thank God no one was hurt.