Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   First time coyote hunting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/first-time-coyote-hunting-24043/)

gadrooning 03-01-2010 01:36 PM

First time coyote hunting

Going out for the first time to go coyote hunting. I've hunted all my life but, I typically don't predator hunt. The coyote population has gotten out of hand here in Upper MI. There is a bounty on them now. Going to try my luck. If anyone wants to give me some pointers on this kind of hunting. I sure would appreciate it. I will be using my 17hmr since the terrain around here does not allow for a shot more than maybe 80 to 100 yds. Otherwise I would take my 7mm08. I will be using a .45 1911 with cor bon dpx ammo as backup. Comments, critisizms welcome.

Mount_Sannine 03-01-2010 02:13 PM

Wish you luck! Bring back pictures :-)

hunter Joe 03-01-2010 05:09 PM

Shoot straight and be safe.

stalkingbear 03-01-2010 05:20 PM

The .17HMR will kill them with perfect shot placement but is a little too small for my tastes. We've had several to run off, only to expire on a different part of the farm or the next farm over when hit solidly with the .17HMR. Followup concluded good shot placement when we found them. Why not use your 7mm08 anyway? Ideally, a .22 centerfire is as close to perfect as you can get. I use my scoped AR for all my coyote hunting now.

Use calls, decoy, and bait to attract them in. Remember once you shoot 1 out of a pack, the rest will be educated to that particular call. That's the reason I have/use several calls-just like turkey hunting. The best bait IMO is a dead cow or calf. If you can use a motion decoy it'll really pull them in close. Set up so that the coyote has to come in from upwind. Otherwise they'll circle downwind and catch your scent.

Dillinger 03-01-2010 05:28 PM

I agree with The Bear. You need to take enough gun to put the thing down hard and not have it take off bleeding and make it even more dangerous.

Hunting Coyotes is about as close to hunting the ultimate prey as you can get. They are very crafty, they are very wary and what works today ( if you are lucky ) probably won't work again. They are smart predators and they are almost arrogant in their taunting of you about it.

If a coyote paw could flip you off, I am pretty sure I would have seen it happen to me by now. :o

My second time out, I was shooting with my .308, and there was a coyote pack that was out at about 250 or 275 yards. We had been trying to call them in, but only one would show itself.

Arrogant little bastard seemed to know where we were and was on this slight rise, just pacing back and forth, then would drop down after about 3 or 4 paces, just as I was developing a rthym of where he was going to be.

This went on for about 25 or 30 minutes and it was frustrating as all hell. See him pop up, head on, not a great shot, then turn sideways and pace a bit, then back down the other side of the rise. Talk about scope fatigue.

I had my choice of no shot, taking a moving shot, or trying to get closer. Thinking I was one with the Universe, I tried to creep closer while my buddy kept position and was watching with his binocs.

I made it about 12 yards before the coyote just up and left. I am pretty sure he farted in my general direction when he left too. :mad:

I love the hunt when going after coyotes. They are definitely a tough shot. Don't get discouraged if you don't get one, and don't get to cocky if you do. Your fortune will change either way... LOL

GOOD LUCK!!

JD

amoroque 03-01-2010 06:02 PM

One thing to remember is that coyotes have a great sense of smell. So use some scent control spray.
I also like to make sure I'm with a buddy that is facing the other direction, so that if they come in from behind you can get a shot, and also so that you dont get startled to death....LOL
If you get one, make sure to bring back some pics.

How much is the bounty out there?

skullcrusher 03-01-2010 06:07 PM

Good advice with those responses.

The coyotes around here are getting thick as well. Last night, one was close enough that my wife woke me after she heard it. It was just carrying on and on. I asked her if she could see it anywhere. She said no. I went back to sleep.

Dillinger 03-01-2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 239123)
It was just carrying on and on. I asked her if she could see it anywhere. She said no.

Night Vision is a many wonderous thing My Friend. Ask Jack, I bet he has a really good set he can loan you for a month. :)

skullcrusher 03-01-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 239124)
Night Vision is a many wonderous thing My Friend. Ask Jack, I bet he has a really good set he can loan you for a month. :)

You have no idea how close that hits to home. Mrs. Skullcrusher was going through the new Cabela's Shooter catalog and was asking about the night vision scopes yesterday. I said we need to save for the Gen IV stuff. :D

Dillinger 03-01-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 239127)
You have no idea how close that hits to home. Mrs. Skullcrusher was going through the new Cabela's Shooter catalog and was asking about the night vision scopes yesterday. I said we need to save for the Gen IV stuff. :D

LOL - She sounds like a keeper, but get her out of the Cabela's catalog for that high tech stuff. Gen IV would be awesome. But mucho $$$ and I have heard they really eat the batteries.

But, having one would be a very nice addition. I am looking at adding a Night Vision Attachment for my Boltgun Scopes. Something of a snap on, snap off, you be dead all night long toy. :D