First Squirrel of the Season! (Graphic) Pic And Dog Story - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > First Squirrel of the Season! (Graphic) Pic And Dog Story

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
Hello,

There is no good reason other than to satisfy curiosity if you have that bug, or for the experience.

If I may ask, how does it seem dangerous? Some folks say this, but never elaborate.

Thanks,

Josh
There is no way to cushion the rim(primer). It seems like it would be much easier to set off a rimfire cae then it would a centerfire as the primer is cushioned when pressed into place.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #32

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I don't know about anyone else but I never seated primers with a HAMMER.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I don't know about anyone else but I never seated primers with a HAMMER.
well im guilty of this ive seated hundreds of primers with a hammer dang LEE.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #34

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
There is no way to cushion the rim(primer). It seems like it would be much easier to set off a rimfire cae then it would a centerfire as the primer is cushioned when pressed into place.
Hello,

So your contention is that the tool is suspect?

It is an accurizer with a rebate for the rim, and was not made by me, but by D Rock at Rimfire Central.

A similar tool is made by Paco Kelley at leverguns.com .

I usually use a press so as not to shock the cartridge, but after having reshaped a number of bullets in live rounds, I decided to try tapping on it with a hammer, as is advertised. Nothing to the contrary happened, and I therefore began using a light hammer about as much as the press.

I guess if that's your main concern, I can see where it comes from, and I had the same concern at first.

It just doesn't seem to bear out as a problem as that rebate is there to keep the pressure off the rim.

Now, if the other side were used - the side without the rebate, yes, it most certainly would go off.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 09-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #35

Everytime you post you make it clearer and clearer to me that you shouldn't be doing this.

First placing a RIMFIRE cartridge on a HARD flat SURFACE then BEATING on it with a HAMMER is not smart. You are setting the RIM on a flat hard surface and hitting the top of the cartridge. This COULD cause the case to pinch the priming compound (The SAME exact thing a firing pin does) and set it off. Priming compound is meant to be set off by the rim getting pinched by the firing pin. SO again BEATING on the top of a LOADED rimfire cartridge is NOT VERY SMART in my book......

Old 09-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #36

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is a picture of the inserted case. Note the rebate on the tool:

Then, with the Lee Classic Loader (I've never used this), you smack things around with a hammer.

Josh

Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #37

OK HOW HARD IS THIS TO UNDERSTAND? Hitting the top of a rimfire cartridge with a HAMMER IS A VERY BAD IDEA. I don't give a smack about weather your tool is rebated or not. That has NOTHING TO DO with beading on the top of the RIMFIRE cartridge with a dam hammer.

PLUS with a centerfire cartridge the primer is slight rebated when seated properly. So hitting the top of it with a hammer is placing pressure not on the primer but on the case head and rim of the cartridge.

Again you can't understand simple things maybe you should stop doing this. Just me but someone smart enough to BEAT on a rimfire cartridge with a Hammer is smart enough to blow their fingers off.

Have fun. I wish you would not post this stuff on here as we don't like to give out PISS POOR bad, or Dangerous information that can cause serious injury.

I am walking away from this now as I don't wish to argue with you about it as you know everything and everyone else is stupid.

Tango.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Sly Fox Squirrel!

Tree Rats are hard to clean. I'm sure someone here has used the aircompressor method to separate the skin from the meat. And by the way Do not feed your Dog the entrails from any wild Game. To many parasites passed on to your Dog and will cost you more than it's worth. Head shots work best unless you like the Brains like some hunters. Wills in da swamp in La.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I'm sorry but I can find no good reason to attempt to reload 22LR. The practice seems dangerous and offers no benefit when commercial loads are readily available and cheap.
I know very little about reloading & zero about reloading for rimfire, but if our ancestors had followed this logic, we might still be riding horses. Compressing gasoline or diesel is inherently dangerous as well; let's not even talk about steam power, whoah scary.

Duder has posted warnings & doesn't sound like he's recruiting school children to help him. If he blows off a thumb or an eye, then this thread will be a valuable warning to others; if not, then his hobby is his hobby, dangerous or not.

Good luck man! Don't forget the armored cup for up-close benchwork.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #40

Quote:
CCI primers are the only brand of primers that will rebate after being seated.
Sorry but no. I have Wolf, CCI, Remington, Winchester in my supplys and they are all slightly rebated WHEN seated properly. Some (IE CCI) more than others.

Sorry If I feel that telling people to beat on LIVE RIMFIRE ammunition is not a good thing. You and him can both do it. I just feel that it is not good for the board that he tells people to do it here.

If you don't like that There is the door don't let it hit your face on the way out.

I am not freaking out I am just stating how I feel.