First Squirrel of the Season! (Graphic) Pic And Dog Story - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > First Squirrel of the Season! (Graphic) Pic And Dog Story

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Dumb question, but what is the bushing/rubber donut thingy on your barrel? I'm guessing that it is something to dampen the vibrations.

That dog just looks hilariously happy in that pic, practically smiling.
Hello,

It's this: LimbSaver Bull Barrel De-Resonator *::*Firearms Accessories*::*Firearms*::*Limb Saver

They make them for both sporter and heavy barrels, and depending upon the rifle, it does work.

Hope this helped!

Josh

Old 09-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #22
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2867 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

What does your reloaded .22lr do that is not commercially available?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
What does your reloaded .22lr do that is not commercially available?
I'll let you know when I figure that out

I have to tinker. That's part of who I am.

Additionally, I think that, with a slower powder, the round could be more efficient.

It's mostly just an exercise in ballistic learning at this point. I do have some ideas for it down the road, but that's only if things prove what I think they will now.

Josh

Old 09-02-2010, 02:47 AM   #24

Wait, I'm still not getting how you REload a rimfire. The case is "ruined". You can't REprime them. I might believe that you may order rimefire casings and load them yourself, but that's not what you said. You RE-load them. I guess I might be mistaken but I've never heard of this before....Please elaborate...

Old 09-02-2010, 04:23 AM   #25

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith
Additionally, if I load a .45acp and double charge it - say 9 grains of Bullseye as I do like 4.5 grains of the stuff under a 230gn TC cast bullet for all manner of critters out here, my nice custom built 1911 is coming apart in a not-so-cool fashion. However, if I load a .22LR and double charge it, one of two things will happen: If it's a hot load, the powder will overflow the case. If it's meant to be a mild load, it will just end up being a high velocity load. From this perspective, it's one of the safer cartridges to handload! J.S.

OMG Really I thought what you posted before was dumb. What happens when you put so much powder in that thin little case that it ruptures and blows HOT razor sharp shards of brass and HOT BURNING POWDER back into someones face. Lets face it not many people wear ears and even less wear eyes when shooting. Again this is asking for nothing more than a REALLY BAD Law Suit being filed on YOU the disseminator of the information.

Do you use any kind of pressure measuring device on the action of the gun? Do you use a chronograph to make sure you are not pushing the small SOFT LEAD bullet so fast that it leads the barrel really bad? What are you using to determine the proper amount of powder and what kind of powder use in this case? Are you using rifle or pistol powders? You are doing this are you also "CUSTOM BLENDING" powders to get more speed? This is just nuts. Ammo manufactures have people that they pay really good money who have Masters and Phd's in the area. They put years of work into creating a good safe product. If you want a faster rimfire buy a stinger, yellow jacket or a viper round. As they are loaded to a faster speed over regular HIGH Velocity 22lr rounds.

I for one am glad that stupid crap was yanked off the board. There is no need to be posting stuff that could cause someone harm.

As for the reloading rimfires is safer that reloading centerfire I CALL BS on this.

Because the reloaded rimfires BACK IN THE DAY doesn't mean it should be done. Hell BACK IN THE DAY the didn't use ROPS (Roll Over Protection System) on heavy equipment. Now it is a LAW that all heavy equipment have ROPS that can support twice the vehicle weight.

BACK in the day they raced cars with no seat belts. Now it is mandatory in all forms of auto racing.

Sorry JD and other mods but I just have to thrown down on this thread.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:22 AM   #26

Actually, I pulled it because some folks can't think outside the box. If anyone wants it, just PM me and I'll give it to you.

Capt Tango (Captain of what?), 1.5gn of x powder is what comes in the cases. In standard velocity, same powder (yes, I ASKED THE AMMO MAKERS), 1.0gn is used. Subsonic, 0.5 to 0.7gn is used, depending upon a couple factors.

I'm sorry you're so rigid so as not to be able to see beyond the popular knowledge of today, whether that knowledge is right or wrong.

And no, I do not "custom blend."

How much do you really know about reloading? I'd like to know. Really. What do you reload?

Old 09-02-2010, 05:55 AM   #27

OK, I just read through "CaptTango30"'s other posts, and the majority of them don't look much different than what he has posted here. He seems to continually get fact and conjecture mixed up.

He is therefore the first person, from any board, EVER, to be put on my ignore list.

If I am asked not to talk about this any longer by the moderators, I will not. Thankfully, this guy is not a moderator.

Now, as for handloading .22LR brass, please remember that the weak point is always going to be the rim. No matter how strong the action, chamber, etc, that rim is always going to be a balloon head out of necessity. This is why Elmer Keith went to the .44spl over the .45 Colt of the time: He was limited by balloon heads.

If they had had modern .45 brass back then, Keith may well have developed the .45 Magnum instead of the .44 Magnum.

Make sure your rifle is of modern make and design, and has a strong action and all matching serial numbers. If it doesn't, make sure you check the headspace.

All handloading is inherently dangerous. Always wear ear and eye protection, and work up VERY slowly. As in, one grain at a time.

Do not mix powders, etc etc. All handloading safety rules apply.

Josh

Old 09-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm sorry but I can find no good reason to attempt to reload 22LR. The practice seems dangerous and offers no benefit when commercial loads are readily available and cheap.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #29

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
How much do you really know about reloading? I'd like to know.
I know quite a bit there buddy boy. I have been reloading for close to 24 years. I have reloading for a tone of different cartridges wildcats and loaded for both smokless and blackpowder. The only thing I really have not done is cast my own bullets. Because I don't shoot cast lead bullets.

As for your stupid crap. Sorry that is just it. Your giving out BAD info. It makes us all look bad and you are going to get someone hurt. I just pray that they don't get hurt too bad.

Sorry if I am to ridged for you. This hobby can KILL you in a matter of milliseconds. One false move on the reloading bench can mean the diference between a high velocity round and one the blows your face off. I have seen it way to many times people are careless and people do stupid things. Some new guys sees that your taking apart and replacing powder in a 22lr and he decides to go and do it to without the temple of knowledge you have, so he startes doing it at his kitchen table and lights off a round while his kid is standing next to him causing a small shard of brass to hit his child in the eye causing that child to be blind FOREVER. How hard is that to understand. All because you say hay it is ok to beat on a RIMFIRE cartridge on a flat surface with a dam hammer.

What happens if your sale is off by .2" your 1.5 just became 1.7 and may cause a case rupture.

Are you using any kind of equipment to track pressure and velocity? If you are not well that just goes to show how dumb this whole thing really is.

Reloading in general is very dangerous that is why many reloaders I know are very strict in how we do things at the bench. No talking, no music, no tv, no phone, no kids, no dogs ect.....

It is bad info and your not going to change the way I or many others feel about it. I thinks you should have gotten a time out for posting that crap myself. But I am not a MOD so it is up to them. If I see it posted I will report it every time.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I'm sorry but I can find no good reason to attempt to reload 22LR. The practice seems dangerous and offers no benefit when commercial loads are readily available and cheap.
Hello,

There is no good reason other than to satisfy curiosity if you have that bug, or for the experience.

If I may ask, how does it seem dangerous? Some folks say this, but never elaborate.

Thanks,

Josh