Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > First Squirrel of the Season! (Graphic) Pic And Dog Story

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

well there ya go seen something new to day

let no talents go unused

Old 09-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #12

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

That is the dumbest thing I ever seen.

Really. Your showing people how to do this but you leave out the part about pulling the bullet BECAUSE SOMEONE MAY TOUCH ONE OFF.

I don't know about anyone else but this sounds like a good way to A: destroy a good gun. B: blow your fingers off and get the nick name STUMPY. and C: get someone else hurt. I hope for your sake no one gets hurt and sues the living daylights out of you even with your disclaimer. You leave out a vital step in the process and you fail to show a safe method of doing it. So your leaving that open to anyone. Which can I am sure can get you living in a cardboard box downtown.

Also where is the safe reloading data for the powder charge.

And 22lr ammo is made to burn all powder in 18" barrels. not 14 or 16"

Last edited by cpttango30; 09-01-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: forgot a few things ok man leave me alone.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2657 Times on 1549 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

IMO, reloading a rimfire cartridge is an unsafe practice. This is something that should not be demonstrated in this forum.

I am not against reloading centerfire cartridges, but rimfire is a different story.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Alex I will take A History of Violence for $300 Please.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #15

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

So, other than the reloading the .22lr thingy, is it squirrel season in Indiana yet? How bad were the worbles on the squirrel?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
That is the dumbest thing I ever seen.

Really. Your showing people how to do this but you leave out the part about pulling the bullet BECAUSE SOMEONE MAY TOUCH ONE OFF.

I don't know about anyone else but this sounds like a good way to A: destroy a good gun. B: blow your fingers off and get the nick name STUMPY. and C: get someone else hurt. I hope for your sake no one gets hurt and sues the living daylights out of you even with your disclaimer. You leave out a vital step in the process and you fail to show a safe method of doing it. So your leaving that open to anyone. Which can I am sure can get you living in a cardboard box downtown.

Also where is the safe reloading data for the powder charge.

And 22lr ammo is made to burn all powder in 18" barrels. not 14 or 16"
Different makers use different powders. It usually is one step faster than 800-x from the factory.

Now, they used to REload rimfires all the time. Mix the priming compound up and everything. And you call this dumb? Really?

Wow.

Josh

Old 09-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
So, other than the reloading the .22lr thingy, is it squirrel season in Indiana yet? How bad were the worbles on the squirrel?
Hello,

I'm not seeing any bugs or any other critters living on the squirrels this year.

I remember getting swarmed regularly, but lately (as in the last couple or so years), there has been nothing.

Very healthy squirrels, these are.

Josh

Old 09-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2657 Times on 1549 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
Different makers use different powders. It usually is one step faster than 800-x from the factory.

Now, they used to REload rimfires all the time. Mix the priming compound up and everything. And you call this dumb? Really?

Wow.

Josh
Where is the reference to your your statement "they used to REload rimfires all the time."
Who is "they"? I do not know of any ammo manufacturer who would indorse such a practice.
Without creditable sources, I again say that this practice should not be done, and to post such an unsafe act is irresponsible.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Dumb question, but what is the bushing/rubber donut thingy on your barrel? I'm guessing that it is something to dampen the vibrations.

That dog just looks hilariously happy in that pic, practically smiling.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Where is the reference to your your statement "they used to REload rimfires all the time."
Who is "they"? I do not know of any ammo manufacturer who would indorse such a practice.
Without creditable sources, I again say that this practice should not be done, and to post such an unsafe act is irresponsible.
Even though G37 pretty much answered this, it was a common practice through the Depression Era.

After WWII, the kits stopped being sold.

Man, I've used a kit, or what was left of it. It originally contained a priming compound you'd mix with water, drop into the case, and let dry, as well as bullets and a tool similar to Paco's and D Rock's, but they were for reloading, not resizing.

The kit belonged to the man I studied gunsmithing under, and disappeared after he died. I suppose it was worth some money.

The concept that a rimfire is not reloadable is a NEW one. Any reloading (or shooting for that matter) is inherently dangerous. You're messing with a controlled explosion here!

Keeping pressure properly off the rim, you will not set the round off. It really is just that simple.

It's less dangerous than seating a primer in a centerfire.

Google is your friend. Turn off "safe search" and see what you come up with.

Josh

P.S. I was reading an old post from alt.guns newsgroup IIRC. A Polish(?) man, whose country restricted him from owning anything more than a .22LR for the first year, after which he could get a .22 Magnum, was attempting to load Stingers for self-defense. He called them Stinger +, IIRC. The man almost double charged the case with the duplex load used in Stingers, and put these through a TZ bolt rifle.

Additionally, if I load a .45acp and double charge it - say 9 grains of Bullseye as I do like 4.5 grains of the stuff under a 230gn TC cast bullet for all manner of critters out here, my nice custom built 1911 is coming apart in a not-so-cool fashion. However, if I load a .22LR and double charge it, one of two things will happen: If it's a hot load, the powder will overflow the case. If it's meant to be a mild load, it will just end up being a high velocity load. From this perspective, it's one of the safer cartridges to handload! J.S.

Last edited by Joshua M. Smith; 09-01-2010 at 06:32 PM.