First Hunting Rifle Suggestions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > First Hunting Rifle Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade
What would be a good all around hunting rifle that could take down larger game if needed?
The venerable .30-06 is famous as an all around choice for everything from white tail deer to big bears and is widely considered the "one gun" for North American big game. It would be hard to go wrong with a bolt action from one of the major manufacturers. The .270 and .308 are close alternate choices.

If you are just looking to hunt deer, you could go with something a bit lighter, like the .243 or 7mm-08, also in bolt action. If you're mainly going to be hunting in the densely forested east a light and handy lever action in .30-30 or even .44 Mag remins a popular choice.

IMO as a beginning hunter you don't really need any of the magnum rifle cartridges for what you are talking about. They ad cost, noise and recoil for benefits you probably don't need.

Also, these recommendations all represent some of the most popular and common calibers. If you want to consider the fine points of less common chooses there are dozens of more options to chose from.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #12

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
What type of hunting are you planning on, just deer? What area of the country are you going to hunt in? Do you want to hunt larger game, (Usually requires a network of friends or family to help in getting the meat out of the back country, or having horses, or 4 wheelers).

If your answer is just deer and smaller, a 270 is great. I hunt anything that walks the planet that is the size of a spike elk or less with my 25.06. Less recoil than a 270. Just as flat shooting, and can take deer and antelope easily if you can do your part.

What kind of terrain are you going to be hunting in? (Thick forests, wide open plains, back east where they have laws about what caliber you can shoot due to close living spaces, etc). That is also a big factor to me on what type of gun will perform best.
I live in south texas. Have a few buddies that go hunting a lot so they are going to start showing me the ropes. One of them said next year he wants to go up to Colarado amd hunt some bigger game. So that's why I was wondering about all around good rifle with capabilities of taking down different game. Far as recoil goes I don't mind it, I'm a bigger guy so I kind of like it. I am of course going to shoot some of my friends before deciding, I love to get as many points of view as possible

Old 07-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'm also a fan of lighter, flatter rounds.

I just did a quick search for .243 ammo and was shocked at how unavailable it is, and at the prices of the ones that were available.

Regarding the 30-06. It is a time tested and effective round. Back when a family typically only had one rifle, it was a 30-06. It's good in a variety of terrains and ammo is readily available. These days, most can afford more than one rifle for different game and terrains.

I hunt in north west Texas, which is Mesquite and Sage brush with a Winchester .270. I've harvested some very nice deer beyond 300 yards with it. Having said that, I would not have a problem using it inside 50 yards in thick wooded cover.

I like a smaller bore bullet with lighter recoil not because I'm timid with guns. I'm 6'1" @ 270lbs and have literally been aiming and shooting guns since I was old enough to hold them. I choose this type of round for the same reason you don't hunt squirrel with a Bazooka. I eat what I harvest and if I have to punch a shot through a shoulder I want less trauma to my sausage/chili meat.

If you are new to hunting, but familiar with rifles and shooting them, you can probably start with whatever you want. If however, you don't have a lot of experience with scoped rifle shooting where you want to be able to hit a 4" (roughly a deers heart) circle at 100 yards a lighter round would probably be best to start with. But don't get me wrong, lighter rounds are no less lethal than the larger bores and should not be considered "kid rounds". It's just that they lose their energy down-range. By down-range I mean past 600 yards which is a distance VERY few hunters attempt to harvest game at. As I mentioned earlier, I have never had a problem getting a clean kill with a .243. If you can shoot well and place a bullet in the cardiac cavity the deer will likely run a few yards, but will expire quickly and leave a huge blood trail. Even a bullet as small as a .22-250 is an acceptable deer round in the hands of someone who has practiced with it and is confident in his ability.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #14

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
There are lots of options, my choice would be a Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP in .270 Win.

My reasoning:

1) High quality, reasonable price.
2) Detachable box magazine.
3) Accu-trigger.
4) .270 Win. one of the few mid level power/price rounds I find regularly.

(Normally, I would recommend .308 Win.)
ive got this rifle in 30-06 with a redfield revenge scope on it its a great rifle.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #15

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I agree with with the 30-06 choice here definitely if you are going to the mountains and hunting deer at home. Another BIG plus is ammo availability. This goes with the 270, 243, 30-30, and 7mm but the 30-06 is by far the most versatile.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade View Post
........................ Far as recoil goes I don't mind it, I'm a bigger guy so I kind of like it. I am of course going to shoot some of my friends before deciding, ....................

a shoot first, ask questions later kinda guy, huh?

I suggest ya get their opions first before you shoot them! lol

Old 07-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Also if you are into reloading, you will love the 30.06. There is more choices for the 30 cal than any other when it comes to weight, construction, etc.

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 07-23-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2075 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade View Post
So my GF is going to get me a gun for Xmas. I want to start hunting. My focus will be deer. What would be a good all around hunting rifle that could take down larger game if needed?
I am sold on the Remington 700 Youth in 7mm-08!!! It comes in RH or LH and you can get a spacer kit to extend the stock as your grow and, in may case, remove them for a smaller person (my grandson). If you do a little research you will find the 7mm-08 is probably the 'best' all around caliber for a starter gun (or my case for a finisher gun) you can find. It has all the down range performance of the 308 with only a little more recoil than the 243. Give it a HARD look before you decide.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #19

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You asked for an all around hunting caliber that could be used to take down animals larger than deer. The best answer I know of to that question it the 30/06!!! It is extremely flexible and can be loaded with anything from 55gr saboted rounds to 220 gr bear and moose loads. Yet its quite at home with 150-165 gr bullets for deer and smaller game. Try it I bet you'll like it!!! FRJ

Better to die on my feet than to live on my knees

Old 10-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #20

Liked 5001 Times on 2426 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

I can afford to buy just about any hunting rifle out there but I choose to hunt deer with the same 30.06 Thompson Center Break Open Single shot I've been using for the last 12 years.

Full length barrel in a package that's 6" shorter overall than any bolt gun of the same barrel length.

Very accurate, very inexpensive "compared to any quality bolt action", and 30.06 is one of the most versitile rifle cartridges available.

I run 150 gr rounds for deer, 165 gr for Elk, and would not hesitate to hunt bear with a good 180 gr load.

Good luck.

Tack