First Hunt this week
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > First Hunt this week

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
dmp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default First Hunt this week

Haven't hunted before this week - as I have enough property, I hunt in the back yard. As i can hunt in the back yard, I have only the investment of a couple tags, and a few slugs. Truth in lending - I'm not hunting; I'm ambushing.

Sitting out day one, I spent about two hours in the evening - just listening. Enjoying my deer stand (it's like a small shed with openings for firing, about 10 feet in the air).

My second couple hours went the same way - nothing.

Saturday I had two does come into the 'kill zone'. I shot at the trail doe. I shot low. Ugh. Just hair on the ground - no blood as the deer ran off with purpose. Smooth-bore shotty w/ rifled slugs = not great. No optic either - going with the little bb on top of the barrell.

Last night I saw what I think is the same pair. Lighting conditions and angle prevented me from taking the shot.

I'm at odds with myself on this. I want to learn the circle of life stuff of hunting; I'm tired of having no connection or respect for the meat I buy. I want to respect the process by investing my emotions into the kill. I won't be posting photos of the kill - I won't even take pics. Feels like gloating to pose with something i've killed. Not sure how to reconcile respect for the animal and posing with it's carcass.

Anywho - I'll report back; going to continue to seek either of the does over the next week.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Couple things;
1: you need some practice time with your gun shooting at the distance(s) you'll be shooting to know where the slug will hit when you aim and fire the shotgun.

2: Pic's or it didn't happen. IMO photos aren't gloating, they are showing things you want others to see.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #3

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Put some scent out in a range close to the deer trail but move it in to your know hitting range.

Pictures are not gloating to me, I am proud to take and provide for my family. My son shot his deer and he was very excited, his famous words to me, " I love you Dad!"

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I suppose I'm just not proud of what I'm doing; I'm doing this because I need to respect-more the process, ya know? I need to know, feel, first-hand what it means to

Quote:
Originally Posted by God
Kill and eat

Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #5

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I understand, it's a way of life for some, a blessing to others. You have to test your skill to see if you have the nerve and desire to finish a hunt.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin