First Hog Trip Tips? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > First Hog Trip Tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"Fixin" to do some hog hunting also in NC. Bud who is the animal control deputy in the county tells me they are in the swamp behind a small town nearby. Appreciate the tips on the spoiled corn.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default soured corn

5 gallon bucket with lid ,shelled corn ,1 can beer ...put some corn in bucket , add a can of beer ,fill rest of way with water ...let sit in the sun til you can smell it ....bad , put lid on to transport...dont spill it on you lol

Old 08-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #13

Liked 267 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 27

In his area there is no tops!! darn near all low land only to change elevation a 1' to become high ground.

Gary Glock How are you getting around. walking, atv, jeep?? Contact your Florida fish and wildlife officer in the area or go to the office. Think they use to be in palm beach and ask about an area that you can access. T hats worked for me in many states over the years. They allways seem to be able and happy to help direct a hunter, specialy with the hog populations growing. I know when it got a bit dry around the first part of the year hogs had easy access to new areas they could not get to in numbers because canals were down. See if they can help you.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #14

Liked 380 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Pigs don't sweat so during hot weather you'll find them near water.Best time to hit them is just before dawn or late afternoon especially around dams,creeks or springs. Look for wallows and another time to hit them is during the middle of the day as they look to wallow in mud which keeps the flies,tics etc off them and the mud keeps them cool as will. Have a look around the surrounding area for any farms that have crops in and then go along the fence lines and see if there's any signs of the pigs burrowing in under the fence and hen if there is sign set yourself up on there early mornings or late afternoons or better still set up a game camera to check for pig movements,regards

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #15

Liked 144 Times on 99 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys, for the most part its just wide open fla land, no farms or anything near by, after going out the other night I realized my best bet is probably gonna be day time hunts, ill be sure to hit those wallows an look were their bedding. I'll keep ya guys posted an thanks again.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Lots of good info in this thread. I plan on goin hog hunting next year with some buddies. Is there a good/bad time of year to hunt hog? We plan on going to kentucky or tennessee.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #17

Liked 380 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrail74 View Post
Lots of good info in this thread. I plan on goin hog hunting next year with some buddies. Is there a good/bad time of year to hunt hog? We plan on going to kentucky or tennessee.
Depends on how keen you are and if like the heat.
In Australia during Summer I find that if you hunt just before dawn or the last few hours before dusk or even just into the dark especially near water and crops you'll stand a good chance of getting it to them. During the heat of the day try and find water like dams or creeks with cover hear by and wallows as pigs don't sweat so they must wallow in water to keep their body temps down plus the mud acts like a barrier against biting insects and the sun. This is another reason why you need a reasonably decent calibre with a good projectile to penetrate the mud before you actually get to the skin.

I use a 30/06AI using 165gn Sierra GameKings and a lot of pig chasers here use anything from from a .243 with 87-100 gn pills upto .458 with the most common calibres being .243, .270,.308,.30/06,.25/06,7mm and there are some who use a .223(a bit light in my opinion) and .22/250.

During Winter you'll generally find pigs out most of the day as it's a bit more pig friendly on the sunny days and you'll find them rooting around in the soft ground.

Baiting wise here we use stuff like rotten/boiled wheat covered in molasses as a starter or a better deal is when the farmers start harvesting wheat as you'll generally find the pigs in the stubble eating the spilt wheat/oats and a good time to get into these is just on dawn or at night or find where they're coming through the fences and wait there for them to arrive,regards

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cool...thanks hairbear...I will be getting an AR15 .223 and ill also be getting a 50 cal conversion upper to switch out for the hogs.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #19

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrail74
Cool...thanks hairbear...I will be getting an AR15 .223 and ill also be getting a 50 cal conversion upper to switch out for the hogs.
May i interject?

Get an AR in 5.56 then you can shoot both rounds out of one gun.

You dont need a 50 anything for hog. The 5.56 with a good penetrating round will drop a hog if placed correctly.

If you want something bigger than 5.56 thats cheap to shoot and good for hogs, get an ar-10. Same platform, but it the much harder hitting .308 round.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #20

Liked 1558 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Tip:

Hogs are smarter than dogs and a wounded one can be mean as hell.