First Hog Trip Tips?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > First Hog Trip Tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 144 Times on 99 Posts

So later tonight me and my buddy are goin out to try to shoot our first hog, we have some scraps were gonna spread out at a few different spots an just walk an see what happens. Any advice for some newbies? Were in southern Fla an shooting 12 ga slugs I'f this helps. Thanks guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock
So later tonight me and my buddy are goin out to try to shoot our first hog, we have some scraps were gonna spread out at a few different spots an just walk an see what happens. Any advice for some newbies? Were in southern Fla an shooting 12 ga slugs I'f this helps. Thanks guys.
yeah dig a deep pit and call me when its done Screw Red Robin, Wild Pig yummmmmmm

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 08-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #3

Well..no luck let. Been spending lots of time in the woods, walking lots of miles, seen a few nice deer. Finding tracks and were their routin up..no pigs.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #4

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Hogs like wet, low lands so Florida is perfect. Try to hunt where the grass is thick and there are thick shrubs or fallen trees. Also, I suggest that you use T-shot. It kills the hell out of them, and it may make it easier to hit 'em when they take off running.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #5

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

So hogs like wet low lands??? They also like high dry orange groves and farm fields if they can get in them, palmetos and pine islands and back yards if they stumble into them. Wild hogs can travel many miles in a day too.

GaryGlock Guess you live on the east coast of fl. Never hunted over on that side . But I have killed a pile hogs grow'n up and hunting in florida . mainly south florida, big cypress bear island and on private land and land now close to people hunting or doit anything but walking and sight seeing it seems. I learned hogs can and will be anywhere unless they have someone supplimenting there food to keep them near by. They will travel in low land but reather be around the edges where ground raise's . But mostly where your not it seems.

You would be better off ride'n and cover'n ground, not stay'n around one piece of ground unless you make some kind of bait for them like corn in a 5 gallon buckets covered with water for a few days till it starts to spoil. If hogs are around they well come to that. Most of mine that were killed out in the field was with a 357 revolver and 180gr hardcast bullets while stalking hogs spotted but we made hog traps too. Concrete wire corral with a angled door and spoiled corn . Cut the boars and let go or cagged and and fat'n up for a week but many take'n out alive as meat can spoil to quick down there.

It does not take a slug to kill them but it will work well. A well place .223 with a heavier bonded or copper bullet will do nicely. Don't make bad shots even with that slug gun. Let them run if thats all you can make.

Read on another forum of a guy that had a "better hog feeder" 6" pvc pipe with glued hard cap on one end with a steel cable thru it to anchor to a tree and a screw on cap on the other end with a few small enough holes drill along it for that spoiled corn to get knocked out of when the hogs go to rutting it around.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #6

Arite sounds good guys, and yes I'm on the east coast, a little north of west palm. I'll try baiting em up, for now I've been, uh I don't wanna say wandering through the woods but basically..ill find some tracks or some ruts an look around. I know its time and place just like fishing so I'm sure my time will come.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #7

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
So hogs like wet low lands??? They also like high dry orange groves and farm fields if they can get in them, palmetos and pine islands and back yards if they stumble into them. Wild hogs can travel many miles in a day too.

Wet low lands are my experience in Arkansas, where I live. I suggested those areas because there seems to be more food for hogs. Anywhere that there is food you will find hogs. I was just suggesting areas similar to where I have always had the best luck.

+1 on the .223 btw. Thats what I carry, I find that just about any type of load (sp, hp, bt, etc.) will kill a hog.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Based on the title I thought you were takin your Harley and hitting the road.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe
Based on the title I thought you were takin your Harley and hitting the road.
Haha.. nope, no Harley. Not yet anyway I'm only 26. I'm here for the other pigs!!
Edited to add I'm headed out for the 2nd time since this post tropical storm an all, wish me some luck guys.

Last edited by GaryGlock; 08-27-2012 at 01:19 AM.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default hog newbies

find some fresh hog sign ,bait with corn ,soured or right out of the bag ,do this several times ,go in and bait and get out ,dont spread your scent in the bottoms.,hunt evenings only after they really start hitting the bait ,stay downwind of bait .......number 1 rule of hog hunting bring a thermocell or repel 40% deet mosquito spray!