Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > First Bow Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Default First Bow Hunt

Went out on my first bow hunt. Got an over the counter archery deer tag that is good until the end of January and I believe a late August hunt. We went up into the mountains south of Payson, AZ. It was about 10 degrees in the morning with a light breeze. We did a lot of glassing but didn't see anything but some range cattle. We did hear a buck grunting and moving around and stalked him but didn't get a visual. Bow hunting on the ground in a lot different than any other hunting I have done. You have to be a lot more stealthy.

Even though we did not get anything, it was nice being out with friends hunting. One of my friends hunts really close to my house, at the base of the Superstition Mountains and we will be checking that area after work for the next month.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Sounds interesting Nitrox. Please keep us in the loop.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Good Luck! I hope you have some fresh back straps on the table soon!

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #4

I will keep you guys posted. I hope to be able to take one with by bow. One of the guys I am hunting with has a guy he works with that is a great butcher and makes some of the best jerky I have had.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Don't get discouraged if you don't get 1 the 1st year. The first 3 years I bowhunted I learned what NOT to do the hard way.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Don't get discouraged if you don't get 1 the 1st year. The first 3 years I bowhunted I learned what NOT to do the hard way.
Thanks for the encouragement Bear! I have learned a bit about stealth already. Do you have any tips?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The main thing is not to let them (game animal you're hunting) know you're there. I know that sounds simple but it's anything but simple. I go absolutely fanatical on scent control. Don't hunt the same exact area for days on end. Make your bow, arrows, & equipment idiot proof. DON'T take shots through brush-no matter how close to the target it is. Carry a spare (well broke in) release. Scout, scout, scout, then scout some more. Don't get in a hurry when stillhunting or stalking. I could keep going but you get the idea.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #8

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
Went out on my first bow hunt. Got an over the counter archery deer tag that is good until the end of January and I believe a late August hunt. We went up into the mountains south of Payson, AZ. It was about 10 degrees in the morning with a light breeze. We did a lot of glassing but didn't see anything but some range cattle. We did hear a buck grunting and moving around and stalked him but didn't get a visual. Bow hunting on the ground in a lot different than any other hunting I have done. You have to be a lot more stealthy.

Even though we did not get anything, it was nice being out with friends hunting. One of my friends hunts really close to my house, at the base of the Superstition Mountains and we will be checking that area after work for the next month.
That's a real nice area. I used to enjoy camping up that way very much when I lived in AZ. Good luck with the bowhunting, and learn to be real quite.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1808 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Above all tell your wife not to come looking for you and blowing the car horn to get your attention cause she saw some deer. Yes it happened while I was working my way in on a deer.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #10

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 712

Tracking and stalking takes on a different meaning w/ a bow. What kind of bow are you using? I still use my old Damon/Howatt custom recurve. Still have enough shafts and flights to last for years.
Here is mine, still made. Mine does have green inlays.
Damon Howatt - Traditional Longbows & Recurves - Hunter

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.