Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   First Bow Hunt (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/first-bow-hunt-36368/)

NitroxAZ 01-03-2011 03:56 PM

First Bow Hunt

Went out on my first bow hunt. Got an over the counter archery deer tag that is good until the end of January and I believe a late August hunt. We went up into the mountains south of Payson, AZ. It was about 10 degrees in the morning with a light breeze. We did a lot of glassing but didn't see anything but some range cattle. We did hear a buck grunting and moving around and stalked him but didn't get a visual. Bow hunting on the ground in a lot different than any other hunting I have done. You have to be a lot more stealthy.

Even though we did not get anything, it was nice being out with friends hunting. One of my friends hunts really close to my house, at the base of the Superstition Mountains and we will be checking that area after work for the next month.

CA357 01-03-2011 04:42 PM

Sounds interesting Nitrox. Please keep us in the loop.

amoroque 01-03-2011 04:53 PM

Good Luck! I hope you have some fresh back straps on the table soon!

NitroxAZ 01-03-2011 07:43 PM

I will keep you guys posted. I hope to be able to take one with by bow. One of the guys I am hunting with has a guy he works with that is a great butcher and makes some of the best jerky I have had.

stalkingbear 01-03-2011 08:51 PM

Don't get discouraged if you don't get 1 the 1st year. The first 3 years I bowhunted I learned what NOT to do the hard way.

NitroxAZ 01-03-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 414364)
Don't get discouraged if you don't get 1 the 1st year. The first 3 years I bowhunted I learned what NOT to do the hard way.

Thanks for the encouragement Bear! I have learned a bit about stealth already. Do you have any tips?

stalkingbear 01-03-2011 11:21 PM

The main thing is not to let them (game animal you're hunting) know you're there. I know that sounds simple but it's anything but simple. I go absolutely fanatical on scent control. Don't hunt the same exact area for days on end. Make your bow, arrows, & equipment idiot proof. DON'T take shots through brush-no matter how close to the target it is. Carry a spare (well broke in) release. Scout, scout, scout, then scout some more. Don't get in a hurry when stillhunting or stalking. I could keep going but you get the idea.

dog2000tj 01-03-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NitroxAZ (Post 414129)
Went out on my first bow hunt. Got an over the counter archery deer tag that is good until the end of January and I believe a late August hunt. We went up into the mountains south of Payson, AZ. It was about 10 degrees in the morning with a light breeze. We did a lot of glassing but didn't see anything but some range cattle. We did hear a buck grunting and moving around and stalked him but didn't get a visual. Bow hunting on the ground in a lot different than any other hunting I have done. You have to be a lot more stealthy.

Even though we did not get anything, it was nice being out with friends hunting. One of my friends hunts really close to my house, at the base of the Superstition Mountains and we will be checking that area after work for the next month.

That's a real nice area. I used to enjoy camping up that way very much when I lived in AZ. Good luck with the bowhunting, and learn to be real quite. ;)

JTJ 01-04-2011 12:06 AM

Above all tell your wife not to come looking for you and blowing the car horn to get your attention cause she saw some deer.:mad: Yes it happened while I was working my way in on a deer.

jpattersonnh 01-04-2011 12:15 AM

Tracking and stalking takes on a different meaning w/ a bow. What kind of bow are you using? I still use my old Damon/Howatt custom recurve. Still have enough shafts and flights to last for years.
Here is mine, still made. Mine does have green inlays.
Damon Howatt - Traditional Longbows & Recurves - Hunter