Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Field Dressing 101?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
dct
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Field Dressing 101?

Hi Folks,

I'm a rookie that is looking forward to hunting for my first time. I'm signed up for a Hunters Safety course in January and have solid shooting skills at this point. I'm not a rookie shooter ... for inanimate targets .. but am a rookie for animals. I'm confident that I can make / pass on the shot as need be and take the animal quickly and as humanely as possible. My plan is to go for an Antelope as my first big game animal as I've been told it's a good place to start and the meat is good from my own experience (maybe not as good as some other animals but plenty good for stew / Chili etc ...)

What I'm not at all confident about at this point is what to do afterwords! I've read various blogs and articles on field dressing an animal, but frankly most are written with an assumption that the reader has reasonable familiarity with what one is doing. Should I go through an outfitter the first time so I can observe the process or can anyone suggest some good books etc ...? I know this is a bit vague, but any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #2

Just checked youtube out and there are several videos showing the process that might help you. I used "field dress" as the search phrase and several suggestions will pop up for ya.

www.youtube.com

Old 12-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Field Dressing

I teach hunter safety in SE Wisconsin. I use a video called Deer Processing 1, FIELD DRESSING AND SKINNING. It is narrated by Larry Metz. Larry takes you step by step through the process. This video is always well received by my students. I purchased the video from L.E.M. Products, Inc P.O. Box 244 Miamitown OH. 45041-0244 I would imagine you can find L.E. M. on-line. L.E.M. specializes in butchering products. I highly recommend this company. Be Safe and Shoot Straight, Hunter Joe

Old 12-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
dct

Thanks guys .. I will check out these videos!

Old 12-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Take two 5 gallon plastic jugs of water and get the carcase clean. Especially if you nick a bowel!!

People get the government they deserve.