The Feral (wild) Hog/Pig~~~ - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > The Feral (wild) Hog/Pig~~~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 566

I can remember the ol' timers 40 ago years talking about trapping pigs in Florida and selling them to "a boar man" from North Carolina or Tennessee. They had to procure them pigs from somewhere to fill the demand for the wild boar hunts sold in the classifieds of Outdoor Life, Field & Stream, etc.
alsaqr Likes This 
Old 02-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #62

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If swine flu ever contaminates the feral animals in Texas in force, you're probably looking at a major epidemic and those ranchers/farmers and "hog safari" property owners who maintain feral animals for profit can count themselves as major contributors to any health crisis. I hope they reap what they deserve.
Feral hogs are vermin, not trophy animals.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #63
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22251 Times on 12465 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

well whether some people think of feral hogs as viable game or not is irrelevent. people pay good money to hunt them on private hunting ranches and preserves here in Texas.

many of these landowners pay for trapped hogs to run on their hunting ranches. now whether you agree or disagree on what other people do on their own property is also irrelevent, but getting caught trespassing on private property in the state of Texas with a firearm, is a felony. especially if it's marked, No Trespassing.

on my property, i don't ask more than once for a trespasser to leave.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2461 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 3916

Quote:
If swine flu ever contaminates the feral animals in Texas in force, you're probably looking at a major epidemic and those ranchers/farmers and "hog safari" property owners who maintain feral animals for profit can count themselves as major contributors to any health crisis.
Bingo!!!

There is a scenario that farmer/ranchers in OK and TX should be terrified of: An outbreak of hoof and mouth disease spread by wild hogs.

Live wild hogs hogs are being hauled all over OK and TX as we speak: The laws on transportation and sale of wild hogs are being ignored. i know guys who haul wild hogs from OK to TX processors who sell the meat overseas: That is in violation of federal law. Most wild hog trappers in OK sell their hogs to the so called "hunting ranches".

i often check our hog traps alone. If there are ever more hogs than i can give away, the carcasses will be dumped in the ravine gut pile for the coyotes.

Quote:
now whether you agree or disagree on what other people do on their own property is also irrelevent,

Not so. In OK it's illegal to introduce hogs into the wild, period. It might would be irrelevant if there were an escape proof enclosure. IME: None of these guys have hog proof enclosures. When wild hogs are introduced onto my neighbors property and they come onto my property that makes it my business. One of my properties is overrun with hogs because multiple idiot neighbors released hogs. One of those nuts pi$$ed and moaned after i caught all the 23 wild hogs he released in my corral trap. Shot and field dressed them all, loaded them on a big trailer and ran around all day giving away hogs.

http://today.agrilife.org/2011/03/17/trapping-transporting-feral-hogs/

Last edited by alsaqr; 02-02-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
Bingo!!!

There is a scenario that farmer/ranchers in OK and TX should be terrified of: An outbreak of hoof and nouth disease spread by wild hogs.

Live wild hogs hogs are being hauled all over OK and TX as we speak: The laws on transportation and sale of wild hogs are being ignored. i know guys who haul wild hogs from OK to TX processors who sell the meat overseas: That is in violation of federal law. Most wild hog trappers in OK sell their hogs to the so called "hunting ranches".

i often check our hog traps alone. If there are ever more hogs than i can give away, the carcasses will dumped in the ravine gut pile for the coyotes.

when they come onto your property and are causing damage to your property, they become your problems and personally how you deal with said problem should be only your business.

wild or feral hogs have become a huge problem for farmers and ranchers in the damage they do to the land. they breed and multiply at an astonishing fast rate and hogs for the most part can survive on what others breeds of animals can't. hogs are extremely disease tolerant and survive where others don't.

wild hogs or not, i will not tolerate a tresspasser in any shape or form. i have them on my property and just yesterday was checking out newly torn up areas of land they have caused. if someone wants to hunt them or trap them on my property, then all they have to do is ask. that simple. but if i catch someone on my property hunting or trapping without my permission, i will have them arrested and i will press charges. i have done it before and have no hesitation in doing so again.

Not so. In OK it's illegal to introduce hogs into the wild, period. It might would be irrelevant if there were an escape proof enclosure. IME: None of these guys have hog proof enclosures. When wild hogs are introduced onto my neighbors property and they come onto my property that makes it my business. One of my properties is overrun with hogs because multiple idiot neighbors released hogs. One of those nuts pi$$ed and moaned after i caught all the 23 wild hogs he released in my corral trap. Shot and field dressed them all, loaded them on a big trailer and ran around all day giving away hogs.

http://today.agrilife.org/2011/03/17/trapping-transporting-feral-hogs/
wild or feral hogs are a huge problem here in Texas.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #66
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 997 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Are these things good eating by any chance?
Old 02-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
if they are the right size and cooked right, they are awesome to eat.

too big they are kind of tough and rank. the younger and smaller ones are the best.
alsaqr Likes This 
Old 02-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #68
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 541 Times on 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post

Hell ya you can eat them. They are the same as domestic pigs.

"I'm an A**hole"
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2461 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 3916

Quote:
It's the best pork you ever ate. The meat is red, unlike the stuff bought at the meat market.

A skinny hog is not fit to eat.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #70
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
It's the best pork you ever ate. The meat is red, unlike the stuff bought at the meat market.

A skinny hog is not fit to eat.
Is there a gamey taste to a wild hog? The boar over here taste a lot like beef. There is no pork taste to it at all.