The Feral (wild) Hog/Pig~~~
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > The Feral (wild) Hog/Pig~~~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Default The Feral (wild) Hog/Pig~~~

The Feral (wild) Hog/Pig~~~

I've been enjoying these videos from YouTube.com and thought I would pass a few along to see if anyone has any comments they would like to share and to make you aware of this problem that seems to be getting greater...

Bell County Hog Hunt Highlights HD

Heli Hog Hunt 2013 Knox City, TX

AR-15 rifles to protect crops from hogs

Hog Hunting Jager Pro Style - The Management Advantage #33

JAGER PRO™- Four Legged Enemy (Part 1)
JAGER PRO™- Four Legged Enemy (Part 2)

JAGER PRO™ Hog Trapping (17)- 26 Hogs Captured before June Planting:

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2724 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Teaberry,

It is no exaggeration at all! They are unbelievable regarding reproduction. A Hog can have the first litter in the first year of life. Not just one piglet but 8-12 at a time. They can have at least two liters per year after that. You figure the math. Where I hunt in Texas they literally eliminated the ranchers doing the peanut business. They would come into a field and go row by row eating all the peanut seeds and peanuts. They now raise cotton in the area since the D*** Hogs do not eat cotton! We shoot many of them each year and do not seem to be eliminating the problem. The son in law of a friend of mine owns three ranches. They shot almost 300 of them from a Helicopter as in the video in one three day weekend on the Ranches. That is how many of them they are. And by now the population is no doubt recuperated and going strong. Once again DO THE MATH!
An AR-15 in 223/5.56 is the preferred weapon. Although I also like the 6.5 Grendel and the 458 SOCOM. Here is a picture of the SOCOM I use. We also do some night hunting with the NV for Hogs and Coyotes.

rra-458-socom-nv-unit.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 01-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #3

Thanks, Sniper03, for your response and information....maybe more hunters/trappers will
be aware of this problem which seems to be overtaking all states where there use to be
only a few that were experiencing this problem...

Here are videos of predominately TEXAS hog/pig problems and hunts and trapping...
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+hunting+pigs+in+texas&sm=3

SAMPLES:
Hogs Wild - Fighting the Feral Pig Problem - Texas Parks and Wildlife [Official]

Wild Hogs Impacting Texas Agriculture - America's Heartland

Helicopter Hog and Coyote Eradication Hunt with Cedar Ridge Aviation

Hunting Texas Feral Hogs at Fence Line Crossings! Big Cutters! .223 @ 150 Yards

Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #4

Liked 416 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Jeeez how many pigs do you want? In Australia it's estimated that there's at least 1 pig person so that's at least 23 million pigs estimated.

So if you boys want a few more to shoot we can lend you some on a non return basis

Here they get poisoned, shot, trapped,dogged etc but it just seems to make room for the others.

Must admit I luuuuurrrvvvee busting pigs with my 30/06AI,.30/30,.270 or .303 best fun you can have with your clothes on.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 01-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #5

Thanks for your kind response......and, if folks
don't believe you have the same problem in
Australia as we do in the USA, then watch a
few of these videos...very interesting....

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pig+hunting+in+australia&sm=3

SAMPLE:

ULTIMATE! boar hunting australia

Feral Pigs in Australia

Hunting wild rabbits and Feral pigs Australia. Go Pro
Old 01-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

feral hogs are huge problem in Texas and the hog populations have exploded to huge numbers and seem to be growing every year. i think this is a problem in most southern states and not just Texas though.

they tend to reproduce quickly and in large numbers. hogs are very versatile creatures and able to survive on just about anything. they are also very disease tolerant as well.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2072 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 1007

Three litters in 14 months! Usually 8+, and the sows in the first litter will have their first litter before their mother has her third litter!!! Most of the biologists I have talked to consider the litters to be 50-50 male to female, BUT of the litters we have taken it was more like 2 female to every male!
They are rapidly becoming a BIG problem where ever they are. Their only 'predator' is man. Remember:::
THE ONLY GOOD HOG IS A DEAD HOG!!!!
AND they are very good eating!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 01-06-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #8

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

That's awesome I am from the Knox city area my family is from Haskell,Tx and my uncle and aunt live in Knox city and I think the guy who runs the helicopter hog business is a guy my brother in law hunts with I'm all for killing them I love firearms but I'm a bow hunter at heart I've killed 5 this year during deer season and there is still plenty of pigs in my area imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1389026859.600069.jpg

Old 01-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2251 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 3513

Quote:
They can have at least two liters per year after that.
Can have and do have are very different. Very few wild sows have more than one litter of pigs per year. Problem comes when the wildlife gurus take facts from hog farms and apply those facts to the wild hog population. A sow that raises four pigs to 40 pounds in the wild is a fine mother. Predators kill many pigs, some die of starvation and disease. A hog in the wild often has a very rough time of it.

Last year my hog hunting partners and i shot and trapped over 200 wild hogs in SW OK and northern TX. Almost all those hogs were field dressed and given to folks who needed the meat, quite a few were also skinned. Most of the mature sows we trapped last year did not have litters and were not pregnant. We trapped a few dozen 2-4 year old sows that had never borne a litter. One of the properties we hunt and trap had a bumper crop of acorns and pecans in 2012 and again last year. Many mature sows are running around sans litters of pigs.

i have spent thousands of hours observing, hunting and trapping wild hogs. Most wildlife biologists have never personally studied hogs in the wild. They simply pass on bad information.

Quote:
They now raise cotton in the area since the D*** Hogs do not eat cotton!
i would have never believed hogs would eat mature cotton bolls until i saw it for the first time. The hogs here prefer mature cotton bolls over green wheat and corn. Cottonseed is very high in protein, much higher than corn. Makes for some funny looking hog poop.

Last edited by alsaqr; 01-06-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2251 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 3513

Free ranging domestic hogs and wild hogs often build nests. Some are communal nests, others are built by sows prior to birthing.