Favorite Hunting Bullets - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Favorite Hunting Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

single all time all around bullet. 160gr partition outa 7mm rem. works very well upto and includind moose.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #12

Liked 395 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 31

In my 30/06AI 165gn GameKings, drops pigs,goats,donkeys and feral horses with out a worry.I also use 130gn GameKings in my CMC Mountaineer for the same result on pigs,goats.

In my .222 I use Nosler SX's in 50gn a real performer on foxes,Kangaroos,feral cats and a bit of long distance rabbit busting and my young fella's Steven's .223 loves 55gn V-Max's and these go well on foxes,Kangaroos,long range rabbit busting.

I've got a 22/250AI heavy barrel project rifle with a 1:12 twist nearly finished on a M77 action that's going to get a run shortly and will be trying V-Max 55gn pills on it for busting foxes and Kangaroos long range as well,regards

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 04-04-2012, 05:03 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1
In my 30/06AI 165gn GameKings, drops pigs,goats,donkeys and feral horses with out a worry.I also use 130gn GameKings in my CMC Mountaineer for the same result on pigs,goats.

In my .222 I use Nosler SX's in 50gn a real performer on foxes,Kangaroos,feral cats and a bit of long distance rabbit busting and my young fella's Steven's .223 loves 55gn V-Max's and these go well on foxes,Kangaroos,long range rabbit busting.

I've got a 22/250AI heavy barrel project rifle with a 1:12 twist nearly finished on a M77 action that's going to get a run shortly and will be trying V-Max 55gn pills on it for busting foxes and Kangaroos long range as well,regards
I was going to ask where in the world you are to be shooting horses, then I saw Australia on your profile. That's super cool. Grew up watching the man from snowy river. Still one of my favorites.

I heard its hard to get guns down there.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model70 View Post
I was going to ask where in the world you are to be shooting horses, then I saw Australia on your profile. That's super cool. Grew up watching the man from snowy river. Still one of my favorites.

I heard its hard to get guns down there.
No not really but we are restricted a bit to what we can own.We can't have pump action shotguns unless we have a need to have them BUT we can have pump action rifles on a normal catergory A/B license.
We can't play with auto and semi auto guns unless appropriately licensed.Most of this BS is from politicians who are career arsewipes looking to be seen doing something to keep their noses in the public money trough.

The "Man From Snowy River'' was a good film but it like a lot of movies was to a point "Hollywoodised".
The Australian High country is a beautiful part of Aussie and so is pklaces like our Great Barrier Reef,Northern Territory,Western Australia and the rest of the country.

A lot of people get a tad pissed off when you mention shooting horses but they are a feral problem here and most of the critters we shoot are introduced such as rabbits,cats,foxes,wild dogs,pigs,goats,camels buffalo,donkeys,Banteng cattle,scrub cattle and a few others,regards

Old 04-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I grew up in the western US riding horses and working cows, I understand the impact nuisance animals can bring. Seems like everybody around here thinks our mustangs are just supposed to be wild and free, and a total enigma. I'll admit I like to see them, but you gotta manage your range.

Have you ever got to hunt the bentag cattle? (did I spell that right?) I hear they are smaller than the cape buffalo but just as nasty. Looks like fun. I have a crazy buddy says he'd like to rope one. I told him he's nuts. Good to talk to you!

Old 04-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #16

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model70
I grew up in the western US riding horses and working cows, I understand the impact nuisance animals can bring. Seems like everybody around here thinks our mustangs are just supposed to be wild and free, and a total enigma. I'll admit I like to see them, but you gotta manage your range.

Have you ever got to hunt the bentag cattle? (did I spell that right?) I hear they are smaller than the cape buffalo but just as nasty. Looks like fun. I have a crazy buddy says he'd like to rope one. I told him he's nuts. Good to talk to you!
No i said i want to TRY and catch one so i could strap our mutual friend to it naked and backwards. The turn it loose in a cactus patch

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 04-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model70 View Post

Firstly, no I haven't hunted Banteng cattle but would like to and they do have an attitude problem as well.The water buffalo we have here are Asiatic buffalo and were bought into Australia back in the 1700- 1800's during attempts to settle the top end of Australia and the Banteng are also Asiatic as well I think.The scrub cattle are just cattle that have gone feral from normal cattle herds.
To hunt these you'll need a big .30 cal or a .40 cal with at least a stout 300 gn pill minimum and there is a bloke over here who has just introduced hand gun hunting buffalo using a .454 Cassull or a 44 mag.
You can also do a guided bowhunting hunt as well on them .

Marlinman, I can understand yours and other peoples love of horses and thats fair enough,personally they don't do much for me and I don't care if I shoot 1 or not it's just what was required at the time and if you suggest that relocating them as the next step or selling them in most cases they'll end up as dog tucker as these are feral animals and they do untold damage to the enviroment up there trampling fences and competing for food up there that is needed for cattle and the costs to trap and transport them in this part of Australia is horrendous as the place we were doing this cull hunt on was 2 hours from any major road and at least another 1/2 hour after getting on to the highway to a town that could handle them and with fuel up there running at least $1.80 a litre for diesel and anything upto $2.00 for a litre for petrol economics become a very big part of life up there so it's easier to shoot them,use them and the donkeys as bait to get the feral pigs and wild dogs in to shoot them.
Sorry you feel that way but mate over here we have a fairly fragile enviroment with a lot of very unique creatures and a lot of the introduced animals put our native animals at risk,regards

Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #18

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Being that I'm from Ohio I can't hunt

Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #19

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Being that I'm from Ohio I can't hunt with a rifle so my favorite would have to be the old plane Jane winchester rifled slug I've killed by far more critters with that round than any other

Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #20

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1

Firstly, no I haven't hunted Banteng cattle but would like to and they do have an attitude problem as well.The water buffalo we have here are Asiatic buffalo and were bought into Australia back in the 1700- 1800's during attempts to settle the top end of Australia and the Banteng are also Asiatic as well I think.The scrub cattle are just cattle that have gone feral from normal cattle herds.
To hunt these you'll need a big .30 cal or a .40 cal with at least a stout 300 gn pill minimum and there is a bloke over here who has just introduced hand gun hunting buffalo using a .454 Cassull or a 44 mag.
You can also do a guided bowhunting hunt as well on them .

Marlinman, I can understand yours and other peoples love of horses and thats fair enough,personally they don't do much for me and I don't care if I shoot 1 or not it's just what was required at the time and if you suggest that relocating them as the next step or selling them in most cases they'll end up as dog tucker as these are feral animals and they do untold damage to the enviroment up there trampling fences and competing for food up there that is needed for cattle and the costs to trap and transport them in this part of Australia is horrendous as the place we were doing this cull hunt on was 2 hours from any major road and at least another 1/2 hour after getting on to the highway to a town that could handle them and with fuel up there running at least $1.80 a litre for diesel and anything upto $2.00 for a litre for petrol economics become a very big part of life up there so it's easier to shoot them,use them and the donkeys as bait to get the feral pigs and wild dogs in to shoot them.
Sorry you feel that way but mate over here we have a fairly fragile enviroment with a lot of very unique creatures and a lot of the introduced animals put our native animals at risk,regards
I dont really care bout you shootin the horses down there bc i understand they do more harm than good. I hadnt commented on you shootin the horses. My comment was an inside joke on the Bentengs

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did