Favorite Hunting Bullets
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Favorite Hunting Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 02:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Favorite Hunting Bullets

Alright, bragging time. What is your favorite bullet to hunt what ever with?

I'll start.

For our western jackrabbits, (Durangokid say they're different back east, I hope so, I'd never eat one of these western things,) I love Hornady V-Max bullets. I use a 75 grainer going about 3600 fps in my 25-06. Whop-ola!

I grew up in a Nosler household for big game, my dad killed more elk with his ol "7 em em" and a 140 Partition than most folks have killed elk.
So naturally I've followed in his foot steps. If it ain't broke don't fix it right?

I'd like to try the new Trophy Bonded Tip bullets. I read an article in Petersen's Hunting were this fella was hunting Eland with them in Namibia. Coolest story ever. Wanted to try the bullets ever sense.

How bout all of you? What's your favorites? No arguments!!

Wait, was this thing on?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

well the only thing i use to hunt anything is winchester 100gr. soft point 243.most trusted bullet in my book.

"Time's are rough and time's are strange but times one thing that you cant change." - Rodney Adkins

Old 03-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #3

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any barnes bullet. Xst in particular. So i guess you could say any big name company makin ballistic tips has my vote. Like nosler very well too. My warbird is picky though. The only balistic tips it like is.....none WAY to fast for em so i have so shoot black hills bthp or btsp

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 03-20-2012, 05:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledbetter84
I'm a fan of the Speer 90 TNT hp outta my 270 for the jacks. Still tinkering with heavier bullets, but the hornady btsp performs well for me!
Want to push the limits on killin jacks led????? Ill let you and mongo both try and kill one w my warbird as far as you want to shoot at one.....providin challis doesnt crush my gun

Old 03-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I haven't ever used them to hunt, but I have seen how much more damage (to a tree) they can do compared to a Winchester soft point.

Hornady Superformance Super Shock Tip (SST) is awesome. I have some 30-06 165 gr ammo and it says that it hits 2960 fps at the muzzle. I was shooting at a bodark tree (well, I was using it as a backstop), and was using 165 gr (< i think) Winchester soft point ammo. The Winchester would knock a few inches of bark off the tree wherever it hit. When I switched to the Horandy, it knocked 2-3 times more bark off the tree then the Winchester, and it caused a lot of sap to start running out of the tree. That stuff hits hard.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 03-20-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
I haven't ever used them to hunt, but
Wheres the rest of your post there aaron?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
I haven't ever used them to hunt, but I have seen how much more damage (to a tree) they can do compared to a Winchester soft point.

Hornady Superformance Super Shock Tip (SST) is awesome. I have some 30-06 165 gr ammo and it says that it hits 2960 fps at the muzzle. I was shooting at a bodark tree (well, I was using it as a backstop), and was using 165 gr (< i think) Winchester soft point ammo. The Winchester would knock a few inches of bark off the tree wherever it hit. When I switched to the Horandy, it knocked 2-3 times more bark off the tree then the Winchester, and it caused a lot of sap to start running out of the tree. That stuff hits hard.
Love Hornady. I'm more of a handloader, but I can't match their Superformance ammo. It's unreal! I bought some just because I had to chrony it, no way it shoots that fast, boy was I wrong. It went faster than what the box said. Unreal. Look at this 3 shot group.

image-1037302545.jpg

I shot that with my wife's .243. 95 grain SST and 44 grains of IMR 7828. Haven't tried them on game yet, but I'm gonna try now. Love Hornady.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 03-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #8

I have always liked Honady SST and Speer Hot Core.
cottontop

Old 03-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Wheres the rest of your post there aaron?

My computer messed up, check again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool View Post
Love Hornady. I'm more of a handloader, but I can't match their Superformance ammo. It's unreal! I bought some just because I had to chrony it, no way it shoots that fast, boy was I wrong. It went faster than what the box said. Unreal. Look at this 3 shot group.

Attachment 41979

I shot that with my wife's .243. 95 grain SST and 44 grains of IMR 7828. Haven't tried them on game yet, but I'm gonna try now. Love Hornady.
That's a nice grouping, it looks like one hole.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1264 Times on 859 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded Pointed Soft Point............

When all else fails.