Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Favorite Hunting Bullets (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/favorite-hunting-bullets-60599/)

theropinfool 03-20-2012 03:26 AM

Favorite Hunting Bullets

Alright, bragging time. What is your favorite bullet to hunt what ever with?

I'll start.

For our western jackrabbits, (Durangokid say they're different back east, I hope so, I'd never eat one of these western things,) I love Hornady V-Max bullets. I use a 75 grainer going about 3600 fps in my 25-06. Whop-ola!

I grew up in a Nosler household for big game, my dad killed more elk with his ol "7 em em" and a 140 Partition than most folks have killed elk.
So naturally I've followed in his foot steps. If it ain't broke don't fix it right?

I'd like to try the new Trophy Bonded Tip bullets. I read an article in Petersen's Hunting were this fella was hunting Eland with them in Namibia. Coolest story ever. Wanted to try the bullets ever sense.

How bout all of you? What's your favorites? No arguments!!

gunguy1997 03-20-2012 06:29 AM

well the only thing i use to hunt anything is winchester 100gr. soft point 243.most trusted bullet in my book.

Marlinman 03-20-2012 06:37 AM

Any barnes bullet. Xst in particular. So i guess you could say any big name company makin ballistic tips has my vote. Like nosler very well too. My warbird is picky though. The only balistic tips it like is.....none:( WAY to fast for em;) so i have so shoot black hills bthp or btsp

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Marlinman 03-20-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ledbetter84
I'm a fan of the Speer 90 TNT hp outta my 270 for the jacks. Still tinkering with heavier bullets, but the hornady btsp performs well for me!

Want to push the limits on killin jacks led????? Ill let you and mongo both try and kill one w my warbird as far as you want to shoot at one;).....providin challis doesnt crush my gun

texaswoodworker 03-20-2012 06:48 AM

I haven't ever used them to hunt, but I have seen how much more damage (to a tree) they can do compared to a Winchester soft point.

Hornady Superformance Super Shock Tip (SST) is awesome. I have some 30-06 165 gr ammo and it says that it hits 2960 fps at the muzzle. I was shooting at a bodark tree (well, I was using it as a backstop), and was using 165 gr (< i think) Winchester soft point ammo. The Winchester would knock a few inches of bark off the tree wherever it hit. When I switched to the Horandy, it knocked 2-3 times more bark off the tree then the Winchester, and it caused a lot of sap to start running out of the tree. That stuff hits hard.

Marlinman 03-20-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
I haven't ever used them to hunt, but

Wheres the rest of your post there aaron?

theropinfool 03-20-2012 07:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
I haven't ever used them to hunt, but I have seen how much more damage (to a tree) they can do compared to a Winchester soft point.

Hornady Superformance Super Shock Tip (SST) is awesome. I have some 30-06 165 gr ammo and it says that it hits 2960 fps at the muzzle. I was shooting at a bodark tree (well, I was using it as a backstop), and was using 165 gr (< i think) Winchester soft point ammo. The Winchester would knock a few inches of bark off the tree wherever it hit. When I switched to the Horandy, it knocked 2-3 times more bark off the tree then the Winchester, and it caused a lot of sap to start running out of the tree. That stuff hits hard.

Love Hornady. I'm more of a handloader, but I can't match their Superformance ammo. It's unreal! I bought some just because I had to chrony it, no way it shoots that fast, boy was I wrong. It went faster than what the box said. Unreal. Look at this 3 shot group.

Attachment 41979

I shot that with my wife's .243. 95 grain SST and 44 grains of IMR 7828. Haven't tried them on game yet, but I'm gonna try now. Love Hornady.

cottontop 03-20-2012 02:11 PM

I have always liked Honady SST and Speer Hot Core.
cottontop

texaswoodworker 03-20-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 745954)
Wheres the rest of your post there aaron?

My computer messed up, check again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theropinfool (Post 745974)
Love Hornady. I'm more of a handloader, but I can't match their Superformance ammo. It's unreal! I bought some just because I had to chrony it, no way it shoots that fast, boy was I wrong. It went faster than what the box said. Unreal. Look at this 3 shot group.

Attachment 41979

I shot that with my wife's .243. 95 grain SST and 44 grains of IMR 7828. Haven't tried them on game yet, but I'm gonna try now. Love Hornady.

That's a nice grouping, it looks like one hole. :D

303tom 03-21-2012 04:02 PM

Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded Pointed Soft Point............