Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Farmers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Establishing a personal tie with the Farmer

As a Kid we had a pair of Hunters that for years had come out to our place for Early & Late season Whitetail & Mule Deer and Spring Turkey we were gald to have them on the place and call them friend's of the family, thy took the time to get to know us Rancher folk as people rather than sombody that had land they wanted to hunt on, they treated the place with respect as we did, shutting gates and reporting anything amiss right away, some the best people I ever knew. they established a base line that few others met in later years.
They knew where the established deer areas were so they wernt out cutting up the haymeddows or running across the freshly sowe'd oat field, never seen a pop can or wrapper, they knew the lay of the land because they cared enough to find the time befoehand come out and check the place out, they never got stuck or damaged property or livestock.
they were probibly more into the whole nature experence more than the hunt that seemd to be a bonus.
I remember Father was having some trouble with his Savage 99F .243 one the hunters offerd to take it back with him and bring it back during the deer season that hunter was nice and had bedded that rifle for Dad.
later on when the Hunters kids were old enough to hunt they did, till they were old enough they accompanyed ther dads so we met them and got to know them
The did come out for coyote hunting but I think they liked meat hunting better.
As I remember one was into Black powder and had hunted the Nebraska primitive arms season as well.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 06-12-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It a shame the way people treat property that doesn't belong to them. Thru my mom of all people I got hooked up with a guy who has about 200 acres in prime deer country here in NC. He's got a cabin down there, 7 or 8 stands and a couple of places to use a climber. I've been hunting with him for 4 years now. I make sure I get down there when him and his son go down to work on the place. It's the least i can do for a man that shares all that with me. I'm one of five people who have permission to hunt that land.
Before that I was stuck hunting game lands because I didn't know anyone who had land and would let me hunt. When you ask people most say no becuase they've had bad experiences with hunters in the past. My dad and I were just talking the other day that it's getting harder and harder to find a place to shoot, even 22. Luckily my parents have some where we can shoot pistol and skeet but no centerfire rifle, there just isn't enough room to do it safely. I only break out my 30-06 a few times a year to make sure it's sited correctly for when the season rolls around. I use the 22 to keep the fundamentals strong.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

On our farm hunters gave us part of their cleaned kills.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.