Farmers

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Farmers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Farmers

I feel as a hunter that if a man lets you hunt on his land that you should reciprocate. I went out for the first time last year and this summer I am going to offer a weeks worth of free labor to the farmer that let me go on his land, even though I didn't get anything there. I feel that is an obligation, what do you guys think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You sound like an ethical and good man.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-08-2009, 06:13 AM   #3

Liked 315 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123 View Post
I feel as a hunter that if a man lets you hunt on his land that you should reciprocate. I went out for the first time last year and this summer I am going to offer a weeks worth of free labor to the farmer that let me go on his land, even though I didn't get anything there. I feel that is an obligation, what do you guys think?
Good move and of course respect his land and farming operation. (close gates you open and dont let a stray bullet or shot harm equipment, buildings, or livestock) You might even offer some of the meat you harvest.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

You always help the hands the feeds you. Just like while your out take a set of fence pliers and some fencing staples that way if you see a section of fence that needs some help you can help it. Then note where it is at and tell the farmer that you repaired it for now but he may want to check it out.

I know a lot of guys that will shoot 1 extra deer and have it processed and provide it to the farmer esp if he is older as well. Any kind jesture is well looked upon by anyone.

That is the problem here in VA to many jack azzez running around trashing places or doing something stupid and suing the farmer. So it is harder up north to get permission to hunt even ground hogs, coyotes, and hogs.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I think if there were more hunters like you, there would be less "posted" sign going up. You can hunt on my land any day.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-08-2009 at 01:33 PM.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In Wisconsin, 80% of the hunt-able land is privately owned, so you had better respect the land owners. Having respect for landowners is only second to respecting the game we pursue.

I had an opportunity to hunt some private land for a couple of years and I ended up putting a roof on his house, a new enclosed front porch, and felling nearly fifty trees and turning them into sticks for firewood and it was worth every hour of labor for the opportunity to hunt this land. As you might be able to imagine, with over 700,000 hunters in the woods during the nine day whitetail gun season here in Wisconsin, the public lands get pretty crowded.

Will Hunt For Food.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I am sure that 98% of the hunters out there are like all of us respectful and willing to help at the drop of a fart. It is that worthless 2% that give 100% a bad name. It is them that I wish you could drop kick right in the nuts.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Your name also gets out as a ok hunter to have on your property. It is well known around these parts, who is ok to allow on your place, and who you would just as soon didn't even drive by. Referances by the guy you hunt on goes a long way.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #9

That would be awesome - although I sure wouldn't think that you would need to put in a week, I would be happy to have a day of help!

about the only contact I have with hunters is when I happen to post some land, to save it for myself and the kids.

One (friend?) of mine gave me such a hard time last year, in a public place, I told him I was going to post the whole farm if he didn't shut his mouth. (it would take a while to post 8000 acres) Someone offering to help out would most certainly earn the right to hunt on my farm.

The future isn't what it used to be.
----Yogi Berra

Old 06-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #10

There's 4 other guys/family on the deer lease I hunt. Besides paying we also give a week for what ever work may be needed. The owner also returns the favor if we ever need any equipment to move the blinds, feeders etc. He will also occasionally invite us up to his house for steaks and what not. He doesn't have to allow to be there or could give less deer "since its a deer management lease"