face paint vs. face mask - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > face paint vs. face mask

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1575 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
I have killed bears, elk, yotes, and 150+ deer and have never killed an animal over bait. Why not just pay the farmer for one of his cows and shoot it. Get way more meat and the fun would be about the same.
It's not like you can throw 50 lb of corn in the woods and the animals throw caution in the wind. I know people who buy corn by the ton and still can't use all their tags. Personally, I have so many places to hunt I would need a railcar to haul in enough corn to bait them all for a season. I hunt the area where the wind will be in my face even though another spot has tons of peanuts the combine missed. If you ride by the spot with the peanuts on the ground you will likely see deer. But try to hunt the peanuts with the wind at your back. My advice is to bring a book.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #32
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 887 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 87

I have been hunting deer for over 50 years, have taken more than a hundred. Tree stands are the best for deer hunting and especially for large bucks. I learned to stalk very good, took many deer that way. I use a perfume/scent free detergent to wash my hunting clothes. Use scent free soap to shower before a hunt. Never painted my face, but have used face cover religiously. I wear glasses sometimes and learned how to arrange my face gear not to fog up the glasses.

Hunting In Gleorgia Oct. 20, 2013
img_0369_resized.jpg
copy-10-picture-001.jpg

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
when the indians used blockers it wasnt to hide from the animals but to hide their smell from other tribes. 100 years ago people didnt bathe often if at all and the further back you go the less it happened. humans get really vile when they dont wash and with a light breeze you can smell em from a long way off. its still like that in france today. bathing is seldom done. the original reason perfumes were created was to hide the vile body odor that was prevelant. if you have ever been to third world nations like france iraq thailand you will know what i mean... heh
Or to prison.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 10-26-2013, 01:46 AM   #34
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5629 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Or to prison.
lol ya that too

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #35
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8106

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosin762 View Post
I am getting tired of using a facemask every year when I deer hunt. I wear glasses and they fog up when I breathe while wearing my facemask (nose-in or out, it doesn't matter). It even makes my diaphragm turkey calls sound weird. I want to use face paint but it's the chore from hell getting that crap off. Any of you guys know anything that would get the facepaint off? Will makeup remover work?
Thanks!
quick question. Do you need the mask due to weather conditions where you hunt, or is it just for another form of camo? If it is not for cold weather, go with what is sugested by others on the forum. For warmth, your kind of screwed. the best i can come up with is to try some rain-x anti fog on your glasses. It works for me, and I only wear a amsk when it is cold out.

As for scent blockers, cover scents, and face paint, The only cover scent I use is to walk through the barn or pasture, and rub up agaist the horses and cows while stepping in their droppings. Since I hunt off a pasture, usually with my back against a fallen tree's roots, and behind a natural blind, I have never needed anything more to mask mt scent. I don't shoot the biggest buck amongst those I hunt with, but I usually fill at least 2 tags every year During the bow, firearm, and muzzle loader seasons.

the closest shot I ever took was a 15 yard shot 9 years ago on Thanksgiving day. I started the day by cooking dinner until my wife got home at 16:00 hours. I went out smelling of the kitchen, and I was only in the woods for about 30 minutes when a 4 and 1/2 year old 6 point walked right in front of me. By the time he knew I was there, he was already dropped. No scent blocker, no fancy cover scents, all I used was cover and keeping the wind in my face. The old ways my dad and grandfather used are still just as effective as they were 40 years ago.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1575 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 540

There at least a zillion alternatives to face paint given that deer are color blind. Everyone of the alternatives posted in this thread works.

What drives me nuts about deer is other deer will run you over when you are dragging a 180 lb doe out of the woods alone.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #37

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
There at least a zillion alternatives to face paint given that deer are color blind. Everyone of the alternatives posted in this thread works.

What drives me nuts about deer is other deer will run you over when you are dragging a 180 lb doe out of the woods alone.
You can singe one end of a cork with a lighter or a lit match, when it cools you can use the black ash as "paint".
Old 10-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #38
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 887 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 87

There is a mask on Ebay you should try. I fits close to your skin, has mouth nose exhaust port, so it will not blow back into your glasses. Double sided, camo and black.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tree-Camo-Neoprene-Full-Face-Mask-Hunting-Ski-Cycling-/330848808628?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1120

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 10-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 967 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 1248

This is a popular mask.....

Become steel or get cut.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #40

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I never use face paint or camo. I just set on the deck and wait for one I like. It also saves on my fuel cost. moose, deer and elk stop by often.

img_0358-2-.jpg   img_0575.jpg