face paint vs. face mask - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > face paint vs. face mask

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2443 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1
Some of the more dedicated deer hunters here in Australia use Eucalyptus oil which is an extract from our native gum trees to hide their scent from the deer and some face paint or grow a beard or use a hat to cover their faces while stalking/laying in wait near any wallows or game trails. Using a scent/spray that is a more natural smell to deer or game will certainly go a long way to covering up any man "smells".
I wonder if pine oil extract would work here...

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 10-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2159 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
I wonder if pine oil extract would work here...
The smoke from leaves and pine straw works as good as anything. Native American indians used smoke to cover their scent. Keep a trash bag full of dry leaves in case there is a heavy dew or rain.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 10-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #23

Liked 959 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 741

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
You have never been deer hunting if you have never opened a bag of corn. You have just been sitting in the woods.
I have killed bears, elk, yotes, and 150+ deer and have never killed an animal over bait. Why not just pay the farmer for one of his cows and shoot it. Get way more meat and the fun would be about the same.

USMC 74-78

People Like This 
Old 10-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8842 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11547

I have used crushed mint leaves (grows wild here) or any other pungent plant. Also be careful to use laundry detergents that do not have any scents or whiteners in them (usually they use phosphorus for a whitener and deer can see more of the light spectrum than men can- so the whitener is like wearing a light).

The main thing to remember is movement will give you away.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1060 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 464

I have washed clothes and body in the scent remover, sprayed the mist just before hunt, sat motionless and silent in full camo with face mask, and not seen crap....
I have also sat in the stand in jeans and a t shirt, smoking a cigarette, and working on a widow hinge only to look up to find deer in the kill zone...
Go figure...

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

People Like This 
Old 10-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex View Post
I have washed clothes and body in the scent remover, sprayed the mist just before hunt, sat motionless and silent in full camo with face mask, and not seen crap....
I have also sat in the stand in jeans and a t shirt, smoking a cigarette, and working on a widow hinge only to look up to find deer in the kill zone...
Go figure...
Truggie, we can walk up on them here in East Texas! i have been less than 15 feet from deer and have them just look at me, like they didn't seem to care i was there at all.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

when the indians used blockers it wasnt to hide from the animals but to hide their smell from other tribes. 100 years ago people didnt bathe often if at all and the further back you go the less it happened. humans get really vile when they dont wash and with a light breeze you can smell em from a long way off.

its still like that in france today. bathing is seldom done. the original reason perfumes were created was to hide the vile body odor that was prevelant.

if you have ever been to third world nations like france iraq thailand you will know what i mean... heh

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 10-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
when the indians used blockers it wasnt to hide from the animals but to hide their smell from other tribes. 100 years ago people didnt bathe often if at all and the further back you go the less it happened. humans get really vile when they dont wash and with a light breeze you can smell em from a long way off.

its still like that in france today. bathing is seldom done. the original reason perfumes were created was to hide the vile body odor that was prevelant.

if you have ever been to third world nations like france iraq thailand you will know what i mean... heh
so they have huge BO then!

Old 10-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
so they have huge BO then!
you have no idea.

if you have ever been around habitual drunks, hobos, hippies, occupy wallstreeters, bariatrics you have a small idea of what life smelled like way back

it isnt modern medicine that allows us to live so long today as a whole its the fact that humans are in generally much cleaner than at any point in history

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 10-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
you have no idea.

if you have ever been around habitual drunks, hobos, hippies, occupy wallstreeters, bariatrics you have a small idea of what life smelled like way back

it isnt modern medicine that allows us to live so long today as a whole its the fact that humans are in generally much cleaner than at any point in history
they are if they take a daily bath and use soap!

just a couple of years ago, the wife and i were at the grocery store shopping an we got into the check out line. there was a man in front of us that just stank. smeeled of BO, piss and alcohol. i had to keep at least ten feet behind him that the smell of him was making me sick to my stomach it was so bad.

i have always held the belief that water is pretty cheap and a bar of soap is cheap. ain't no reason for a person to not take a bath!