Elmer is gonna get it!!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Elmer is gonna get it!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Elmer is gonna get it!!

The nights are getting cold. Frost is widespread in the mornings when I depart for work. It is getting to be perfect. Whitetail season is here once again. And with the new season here, it is time to play our yearly game, where is elmer?
Elmer is a beautiflully semetrical 14 point buck. While you can easily watch elmer all summer long and he has developed a beautiful rack, he is now getting harder to spot. Elmer knows the hunt is on.
This year I have the perfect blind. It is set up near the crossroads of a deer interstate system that has obvious heavy traffic by large deer. Due to varying degrees of depth, size of tracks, and sheer number, one would never be able to gain an accurate count. Droppings (fresh and old) line the trails. The blind is a wonderful masterpiece of hidden hunting. I utilize overlapping canvass to allow both concealed sitting and standing. Horizontal lengths of wood give me a solid point to rest the rifle for longer narrow range shots.
I am situated within woods that are heavy on mature hickory, oak, and beech trees. Surrounding the 210 acre woods is a wonderful array of timothy hay fields, clover fields, corn fields, and regular ole hay fields. Dairy, horse, and alpaca farms are the norm in this area.
From the blind it is about 200' down to the watershed that is in some thicker cover so the deer love that place to get a safe drink. From there they like to go up to the "honey hole". That is about a 100 yard x 500 yards thick heavy brush that the deer like to hide in. We do not allow any game to be taken from there. The point is to have a completely safe zone (even from yourself). This way when deer on the mountain are getting heat from other hunters, they migrate to the honey hole. This has kept our heards very healthy and plentiful. The blind is situated about 10 yards off the main trail between these spots.
Elmer, your days are numbered. Gus is locked and loaded....ready for deer!!!

How are your preperations/hunts going?

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Mine are going great so far. I've only spend 2 days in the woods but bagged my first with a bow. heading back out this weekend I think. I'll let you know what happens.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

CONGRATS rusty! You've already got a deer with that alpine?? That's great!

Gus-it sounds like you have a plan-now the trick will be to NOT let them scent you in the blind or coming/going from the blind.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #4

The prominent wind is to my face......just perfect.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 10-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
CONGRATS rusty! You've already got a deer with that alpine?? That's great!

Gus-it sounds like you have a plan-now the trick will be to NOT let them scent you in the blind or coming/going from the blind.
Did you miss that thread? Yeah, dropped her about 2 weeks ago. I'm heading out on Saturday for another go at it. Should be in the middle of the rut so it should be exciting!

Old 10-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Going tomorrow,freezer is empty. Good luck with Elmer.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:58 PM   #7

UPDATE: Well, ole elmer has eluded us once again. There is still time.
I did bag a small buck so there is venison in the freezer. Kinda shameful shootin a small deer but I had iron sights, it was late afternoon, and it was an uphill shot. Bad excuses I know but what the hell, it is still food and I will make some great canned meat and jerked meat out of it.
Now I can be picky and harvest a worthy creature next time.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i have only been out hunting one time this year, and I didnt see so much as a squirrel or a bird. nothing at all.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Went out Wednesday and a half day yesterday with no luck. They ate all my corn and apples I put out on Tuesday so I know their coming, I just forgot to arrange the meeting. Heading back out today around 10ish to try a mid day/afternoon hunt.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We have had a large buck hanging around in the grove around our farmstead for the last five years. He is a 14 pointer and appears to be a hell of a lot smarter than I am. All year long we see him about every day of the week but when the season opens he becomes invisible. In the week between the regular firearm season and the black powder season he comes out and acts like he is defying me. Truth be known in my old age I am getting softer and don’t really think I could shoot him if I had the chance. Kind of like shooting an old friend. Eating the old goat would most likely be like chewing on your shoe.