Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Elk rounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 04:24 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Les Bowen guide and outfitter in Northern Wyoming was key in development of the 7MM Remington. The orginal Remington load was for Elk hunting. That load was the 175 Gr. bullet. It was not long however the recoil sensitve once a year rifle shooters wanted lighter bullet hence 150 grs. and lighter slugs. They then did not understand why the 7mm elk didn't work as advertised. I prefer the .338 Winchester but the 175 gr 7MM Rem Mag will work.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #32

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Les Bowen guide and outfitter in Northern Wyoming was key in development of the 7MM Remington. The orginal Remington load was for Elk hunting. That load was the 175 Gr. bullet. It was not long however the recoil sensitve once a year rifle shooters wanted lighter bullet hence 150 grs. and lighter slugs. They then did not understand why the 7mm elk didn't work as advertised. I prefer the .338 Winchester but the 175 gr 7MM Rem Mag will work.
That is quite the interesting background. I've heard of a lot of experienced elk hunters, most of them guides, tell me that 7mm Rem Mag is about the perfect elk gun.

I hear a lot about blasting through bone all kinds of things about some of these rounds, but it seems to me the big thing to remember is the hunting itself. I myself probably wouldn't blast a 400yd frontal shot on a deer, but some would, so maybe that's what they need to perform, who knows. It's safe to say that with all these "newer" style rounds that there are some definate advantages to some of them. I think that sometimes we all have to remember that deer and elk have been taken with a lot less by some of the old timers with a regular ole soft point or even less than that sometimes. Who knows I guess. I think the key to all of this is probably shot placement.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #33

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
Everybody seems to be all high and mighty on the Nosler Partition. You might just get me talked into it. lol So I understand why they would be better and everything, but my question is, can you get them to shoot well? I have heard a couple stories from people about not being able to get them to group for them, no matter what they do. Does anybody have anything to say about this? Are they any harder to get to group than anything else?
I haven't had much luck with the Partitions. I took my .280 Ackley out this morning to compare Accubonds to Partitions. You can see by the target on the left that the Accubond grouped MUCH better, at least for me. I didn't load the Partitions with different powders, so maybe it's not fair to say that, but this little test has convinced me that the 160 grain Accubond will be my elk bullet.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #34

Default Elk Bullets

I have had good experience with both. They would not have been around as long as they have if other folks did not have similar results. I am shooting older Ruger Model 77's in 270 & 30-06 & Sako in the 243.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #35

Cool comparison. Does anybody have any experience with the SST or Interbond from Hornady? Seems like I was told the SST is just a streamlined spire point for a better BC but I am curious if anybody else has any experience.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:23 AM   #36

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's going to be hard to beat the accuracy and performance of the Nosler Accubonds.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
It's going to be hard to beat the accuracy and performance of the Nosler Accubonds.
I kinda like what I am seeing from doing a little reading about them.

So are the Hornady Interbond's kinda the same deal as the Nosler Accubonds?