Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Elk rounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Pro Hunter, Game king, not the right choice. IMHO. I love them, But the Jacket thickness, or lack of, and the fact they are not bonded don't make them my 1st choice on thick, heavy game. Barnes may not mushroom as well as either Sierra, but they will break a shoulder and keep on moving forward and keep most of their weight.
Good information, I will take that into consideration. Thanks.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #22

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Pro Hunter, Game king, not the right choice. IMHO. I love them, But the Jacket thickness, or lack of, and the fact they are not bonded don't make them my 1st choice on thick, heavy game. Barnes may not mushroom as well as either Sierra, but they will break a shoulder and keep on moving forward and keep most of their weight.
I couldnt agree more. I have had TERRIBLE experences with any Seirra bullets on big game. Every time a client showed up using these bullet we knew we were in for a long trailing job on a wounded animal. Sometimes they went down, but many times these bullets blew up after just a few inches of penatration. We called then hand grenades in green boxes. It is interesting other peoples experences.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #23

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post

On a different note, I have a buddy who has a 280 Ackley improved and he likes it, but he says that brass is spendy and so he is just shooting regular 280's I think right now to get some brass. How do you like yours?
I LOVE mine, although it's new and I haven't quite found the right load for it, but that's half the fun!

I bought a bag of Nosler brass for it and it WAS spendy. So I got a bag of .280 nickel brass at Bass Pro and just fire-formed it to the Ackley, plus I have a friend who has a .280 and I made him give me some of his. I now have about 150 pieces of brass.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #24

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
I couldnt agree more. I have had TERRIBLE experences with any Seirra bullets on big game. Every time a client showed up using these bullet we knew we were in for a long trailing job on a wounded animal. Sometimes they went down, but many times these bullets blew up after just a few inches of penatration. We called then hand grenades in green boxes. It is interesting other peoples experences.
Quote:
That's really good stuff to know, gentlemen. SGKs shoot better in just about all of my rifles, but based on what you've said here, I think I'll stick with Nosler for the bigger game. Thanks!

Old 09-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

My father hunted elk for nearly 30 years from the early 60s into the 90's. He filled a lot of tags with 150 grain soft points in both 7 mm rem mag and 300 Wby mag.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:08 AM   #26

I'm getting a lot of good information here. Thanks.

Anybody have much experience with the 154 or 162gr Hornady Spire points?

Old 09-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #27

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My last 3 shots on elk were with Nosler Accubonds. Out of those 3 the Accubonds performed perfectly. I can HIGHLY recommend them. In 7mm diameter I'd recommend the 160 gr.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
I'm getting a lot of good information here. Thanks.

Anybody have much experience with the 154 or 162gr Hornady Spire points?
The 162 gr. Hornady BTSP Accubonds are the ones that my 7mm Rem. Mag. Savage loves. They are very accurate and will perform good on heavy game.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #29

Default 7MM Mag for Elk

Excellent caliber but Sierra Gamekings not for elk. I load Gamekings in 243,270 & 30-06 for deer & they perform perfectly, but you need something that does not open up as quickly & will break bone better. My choice would be Nosler Partitions or one of the Barnes solid copper rounds.

Good luck.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlnga View Post
Excellent caliber but Sierra Gamekings not for elk. I load Gamekings in 243,270 & 30-06 for deer & they perform perfectly, but you need something that does not open up as quickly & will break bone better. My choice would be Nosler Partitions or one of the Barnes solid copper rounds.

Good luck.
Everybody seems to be all high and mighty on the Nosler Partition. You might just get me talked into it. lol So I understand why they would be better and everything, but my question is, can you get them to shoot well? I have heard a couple stories from people about not being able to get them to group for them, no matter what they do. Does anybody have anything to say about this? Are they any harder to get to group than anything else?