Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Elk rounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
A little of both. I do MOSTLY mule deer hunting, and will have some elk tags in the near future. I like the velocity and the groupings I get with 150's, and with that said, my gun seems to REALLY like them. I've had more accuracy with them than others. I've shot some muley bucks and does, and have had a great success with the 150's without being so to speak "overkill." It's just been a great all around round for me at this opint. I shot some whitetails with it too and it has always been just an awesome round.

I feel really comfortable with it for larger game like an elk, I don't have any insecurities about it. I had an old college roomate that went elk hunting with a 243, and did it successfully so I don't feel I should have any problems with a 150gr 7mm I guess.
Okay, how does your rifle like 160 grain bullets and up? If it shoots them fine, just to be safe and for peace of mind, you might want to go with the heavier bullet with the right load.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Okay, how does your rifle like 160 grain bullets and up? If it shoots them fine, just to be safe and for peace of mind, you might want to go with the heavier bullet with the right load.
I've thought about shooting some heavier stuff to see how it performs. I don't really like the idea of just lobbing a big ole chunk of stuff out there either. I have heard good things about the 168gr Berger's. My only concern is with the bullet defragmenting as much as it does, I don't want to end up with a bunch of it in my meat.

Do you know much about these? Do you think it would be much of a problem? I know a lot of guys like them, but at this point, since I haven't educated a heavier bullet much, I have been shying away from them.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #13

Quote:
I've thought about shooting some heavier stuff to see how it performs. I don't really like the idea of just lobbing a big ole chunk of stuff out there either. I have heard good things about the 168gr Berger's. My only concern is with the bullet defragmenting as much as it does, I don't want to end up with a bunch of it in my meat.

Do you know much about these? Do you think it would be much of a problem? I know a lot of guys like them, but at this point, since I haven't educated a heavier bullet much, I have been shying away from them.
Berger specializes more in match-type bullets, and they are generally considered excellent. Don't know anything about their hunting bullets.

My preferences are (1) Sierra Game King and (2) Nosler Accubond. I know Hornady makes good stuff but, for some reason, my rifles shoot the other two better.

I'm not understanding why you wouldn't just try something north of 160 grains and, if your rifle shoots them well, you won't be preoccupied with whether or not you're shooting a heavy enough bullet?

Old 09-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Berger specializes more in match-type bullets, and they are generally considered excellent. Don't know anything about their hunting bullets.

My preferences are (1) Sierra Game King and (2) Nosler Accubond. I know Hornady makes good stuff but, for some reason, my rifles shoot the other two better.

I'm not understanding why you wouldn't just try something north of 160 grains and, if your rifle shoots them well, you won't be preoccupied with whether or not you're shooting a heavy enough bullet?
I don't know why I haven't either. Here are my thoughts on going from 150 to a 160. It's not enough of a jump. I feel like you either need to shoot 150 or 175. 160, for lack of explanation, is kinda "ballistic purgatory" for lack of better explanation. I think you either need to enjoy the fruits of the increased velocity or the added penetration. I don't always believe more grains equals better penetration and so on. I tend to fall down the line of finding a "descent" sized slug with "descent" velocity to maximize velocity and energy.

I know there is a lot to be said about the Berger's not retaining much weight at all, in which a small percent actually stay intact on penetration. I'm not really sure what to think about that either.

I shoot mostly deer with this gun, and will have the oppurtunity soon for some elk and I think I can do well with the 150's I guess. At this point I am shooting 150gr. Sierra Gamekings and I've had awesome success with them. I am sure I could go to a 160 but if I have no complaints about the 150's, I probably dont' really need to do it as long as the 150's will suit my needs. I don't know. I have a tendency to over-think things and I am pretty sure that is what I am doing here. I can probably load up some 3000-3100fps 150gr. Sierra Gamekings and kill about anything I would want to kill in N.A. We'll see I guess. I got a while before I throw together some more loads so we'll see I guess.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #15

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

My Thoughts on 150gr for 7mmRM. I shot them for years. I also used 175gr for elk back when we did not have the bullet choices we do now. The biggest issue is construction, retained weight, and penetration. So here is what I use now. Both 140 and 160gr Barnes XTP Flat base. I have the older XFB which is still the same bullet, just a new package. Some may say, a 140gr for Elk? Yep, it gives up nothing to the 160gr at out to 400 yards. MV is 300fps faster then the 160gr. The amount of energy is about 20fp less at 400 yards. If your 150gr is well constructed, you will be fine. Sierra pro hunter??? Not sure it is really the right bullet. I use them on Whitetail, but not Elk.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #16

Quote:
I don't know why I haven't either. Here are my thoughts on going from 150 to a 160. It's not enough of a jump. I feel like you either need to shoot 150 or 175. 160, for lack of explanation, is kinda "ballistic purgatory" for lack of better explanation.
Ah, "gap-itis." I see.

I haven't decided on my bullet for elk, but it's going to range from 140 to 160 grains through my .280 Ackley. Pretty close to the same ballistics as your 7mm. I'm confident enough in my shooting ability to know that even a 140 grain bullet will make a clean kill.

Good luck this season. Let us know how it all works out!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Sierra pro hunter??? Not sure it is really the right bullet. I use them on Whitetail, but not Elk.
No, I shoot Sierra Gameking Boatail Spitzer Points usually. They've been good to me so far I guess

Quote:
Ah, "gap-itis." I see.

What is gap-itis?

Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #18

Quote:
No, I shoot Sierra Gameking Boatail Spitzer Points usually. They've been good to me so far I guess
Gap-itis is the phenomenon of having too wide of a disparity in the desired weight of the bullets you would like to use.

just kidding....I made it up

Old 09-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Gap-itis is the phenomenon of having too wide of a disparity in the desired weight of the bullets you would like to use.

just kidding....I made it up

lol I understand your thoughts. I am an MRI/CT technologist and in our practice, little changes don't do much of anything for your image quality, generally speaking of course. So when I think about things, I must naturally let those sort of theories drip into everything I do. hahahaha

On a different note, I have a buddy who has a 280 Ackley improved and he likes it, but he says that brass is spendy and so he is just shooting regular 280's I think right now to get some brass. How do you like yours?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #20

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Pro Hunter, Game king, not the right choice. IMHO. I love them, But the Jacket thickness, or lack of, and the fact they are not bonded don't make them my 1st choice on thick, heavy game. Barnes may not mushroom as well as either Sierra, but they will break a shoulder and keep on moving forward and keep most of their weight.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.