Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Elk rounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Elk rounds

I have a 7mm Rem Mag and no matter how much I try to convince myself to go to a larger bullet, I like the 150gr. That is fine for deer, but I am going to be shooting an elk. I've seen many people use smaller guns and have no problems. I know that I could load some bigger ones up specifically for certain game, but I would like a do-all round. I generally get great energy and velocity with accuracy out of the 150gr. Should I have any hesitations to shoot an elk with it? I really don't but I am curious to hear what some other people have to say about it. Thanks for any input you might have ahead of time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #2

Liked 112 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I have heard of people having no trouble taking elk with .270 Winchester,so that 7mm being even faster than that,you are golden.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have some 7mm Rem. Mag's. that are 175 gr's. that I feel would be excellent on Elk size game, but my Savage 116 really likes the 160-162 gr. rounds. My feeling is that they would work equally well on large game.

As with any hunting sport, shot placement is everything. Your 150's will probably do the job just fine if you get a solid heart-lung shot in on an elk. Just be sure to use a good partition round that will hold together and get good penetration.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The bullet weight is a little light for elk but shot placment is KEY!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #5

I agree, shot placement is by far the most important thing I think.

I have been avidly into archery to this point in my life, and it seems everybody is quick to jump at shooting 70-80# DW with amazingly heavy arrows for penetration and all this crap, but if you don't put it in the right spot, it doesn't matter.

I think a lot of the same holds for rifles. Thank you to everyone on the sight who has helped me out over the past.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
I have a 7mm Rem Mag and no matter how much I try to convince myself to go to a larger bullet, I like the 150gr.
I guess my question is.....why? Do you mean your rifle likes 150-grains or YOU do?

Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I guess my question is.....why? Do you mean your rifle likes 150-grains or YOU do?
A little of both. I do MOSTLY mule deer hunting, and will have some elk tags in the near future. I like the velocity and the groupings I get with 150's, and with that said, my gun seems to REALLY like them. I've had more accuracy with them than others. I've shot some muley bucks and does, and have had a great success with the 150's without being so to speak "overkill." It's just been a great all around round for me at this opint. I shot some whitetails with it too and it has always been just an awesome round.

I feel really comfortable with it for larger game like an elk, I don't have any insecurities about it. I had an old college roomate that went elk hunting with a 243, and did it successfully so I don't feel I should have any problems with a 150gr 7mm I guess.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:27 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I wonder how many respondants have actually shot an elk. Of those that have I wonder how many have shot an elk with the bullet described. I am a terminal ballistician as a hobby. I was an elk guide for 9 years and an elk hunter for 42 years. I have actually seen over 100 elk killed. That being said I saw only one elk shot with a 7mm Mag using 150 grain Remington Cor-lokts. So even with all my experence I have but one experence with the above mentioned bullet weight. Many companies build 150 grain bullets for the 7mm. Some top quality bullets like Nosler Partitions, Barnes solid coppers and a few other premium bullets SHOULD be fine. However since elk seldom stand broadside I would suggest bullets capable of good weight retention to ensure deep penatration. Just because a bullet is a certain weight does not give evidence of its abilities. In 270 caliber 150 grainers are the bee's knee's for big game. In 30 caliber the 150's are deer bullets, in 35 caliber 150 grain bullets are for varmits only. By the way the one and only elk I saw shot with a 150 grain 7mm was a clients 5 point bull at 125 yards. At the shot the elk dropped like a sack of potatos. Turning to slap my client on the back, he yelled look at that. The elk had regained his footage and retreated rapidly into heavy timber. After a mile of tracking, the elk made it to private property and was unrecovered. Was it the bullet, the bullet weight, shot placement, that was behind the lost elk? I will never know. One experence doesnt tell us much.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:43 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1660 Times on 905 Posts
Likes Given: 529

I used 150 gr 270 on elk. Worked very well.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #10

Some good info 30-30. I myself am not a firm believer in have to have a big ole heavy slug to kill everything, that's just a personal opinion of mine I guess. Elk are a tough animal, no doubt about that. I guess I just don't really want to jump all the way to 175-180 gr and I don't think just going that little bit to 160 would even be worth stepping up. Go big or go home I guess, huh? lol

I have been a fan of the 150gr. Sierra Gameking's in the past. I've never had an animal get away from this round, ever. I don't know a lot about some of these points, is this considered to be a descent point at 150gr?

Last edited by mrb1982; 09-14-2011 at 01:07 PM.