Elk hunting with a .270 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Elk hunting with a .270

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemccarthy707 View Post
Interesting...I strictly use remington core-lokt in my .300 magnum. What would you suggest is a better performer. I have also tried those cheap winchester in the solid grey box (can't remember) These are the only 2 kinds wally world sells around here. Maybe a Federal type?
I would really like to hear your experences with Core-Lokts. Do you measure inches of penatration? Do you have some examples of the bullets you have removed? From your posts im guessing you shoot moose, if so how do they react. Would like to share experences maybe we can both learn something.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #22

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

The last moose I shot with core lokt was out of a .270. It was the 130 gr and at about 200 yards I shot him thru the heart and out the other side. He dropped where he stood no running away nothing it was just like turning a light switch. I couldnt believe the penetration. Neither could my father in-law and his buddy. It was basically like the animal got skewered. This animal had a 17 point rack and the hind quarters dressed 180lbs each (about 100lb animal). I havent taken an animal with the .300 yet but my dad has, he never had to fire more than 1 shot. I think he has shot 3 animals with it.

On the other hand I was with my father in law when he was using a .303
He was using the winchester cxp2 for light-skinned animals. He fired 9 times hitting the animal every time. Every time the animal would shudder and step ahead. The 10th shot broke its back. We walked up to it and had to put it down with a close range head shot. We found out after that the light skinned bullets would not penetrate the hide. When we were skinning the animal 9 slugs fell out from under the skin. It was only then that he looked at the box of bullets (he thought it was a bad batch) and realized they were for thin-skinned animals such as deer. Stupid mistake that caused the animal some extra unneccessary suffering. BTW he was only about 75 yards from the animal.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:09 AM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've never had any issues with Sierra Gameking or ProHunter bullets. I've used 180gr. ProHunter's in .303 cal. on deer and had perfect expansion, weight retention, and penetration and expansion. I've used Sierra BTSP 140gr. bullets in my 6.5 x 55mm Swede with excellent penetration and very uniform, symetrical expansion. This year I will be trying Berger 168gr. VLD bullets in my LR308. I don't load for maximum velocity, rather I prefer maximum accuracy. If a deer is hit properly just about any bullet will drop it in it's tracks. I don't take questionable shots and I always try for heart/lung shots, quartering away, behind the shoulder and not through it. I have been recovering bullets in various mediums for many years to see how they perform. Very rarely have I seen jacket separation, unless a bullet hits a rock. In fact, some of the best performing bullets with the best mushrooming and weight retention I have used were cheap bulk 150gr. Remington RN and Hornady FP bullets for my 30-30's. I would imagine elk, moose, and caribou require a solid copper or bonded bullet for consistent penetration through thick hide and muscle, but I doubt I'll ever get to test that theory living in upstate NY! As a side note, I have found that some people who have had less than perfect results with Sierra bullets were using Matchking bullets instead of Gameking or ProHunters. Sierra advises against using their MatchKings for hunting.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 09-28-2009 at 02:18 AM.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:05 AM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

DAVEMCCARTHY707 AND RL357 this is what is interesting to me. It is nice to hear others experences especially if they differ from your own experences. If I can get my wife to help I will post some photos of some of my recovered bullets. Dave on your moose did the bullet encounter any ribs either or entrance or exit?

Old 09-28-2009, 03:09 AM   #25

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
DAVEMCCARTHY707 AND RL357 this is what is interesting to me. It is nice to hear others experences especially if they differ from your own experences. If I can get my wife to help I will post some photos of some of my recovered bullets. Dave on your moose did the bullet encounter any ribs either or entrance or exit?
Both entry and exit. I am searching for the pics. When I find them I will post them.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:48 AM   #26

Hi there, I'm Chris Freville and my wife name is Maria Christina. We both love hunting and we first bought our rifles on 1st December 1995. We are hunting since that day. I think with a .270 150grain is better..

Old 09-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Not to get too far off topic here, but 30-30 Rem bought up an interesting aspect of shooting - retrieving and analyzing bullets. If I was hunting Elk out west I wouldn't hesitate to use this rifle/bullet combination. It is a 530gr. Hollow Base Minnie Ball and it was shot out of a CVA .58cal. Mountain Rifle which I built back in 1995. The powder charge was 110 grains of FFFg black powder. At the end of the deer season after not having an opportunity to shoot a deer, I unloaded the rifle into a 10-ream sized computer paper box stacked lengthwise with frozen telephone books which had been outside getting rained on for 3 month prior. After going through every book, twice, in the hopes of retrieving the bullet, and not finding it, I discovered it buried in 8" of frozen ground, having passed through the phone books first...now THAT's penetration - with relatively little deformation.

.58hbrn.jpg  

Last edited by RL357Mag; 09-28-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:38 AM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Not to get too far off topic here, but 30-30 Rem bought up an interesting aspect of shooting - retrieving and analyzing bullets. If I was hunting Elk out west I wouldn't hesitate to use this rifle/bullet combination. It is a 530gr. Hollow Base Minnie Ball and it was shot out of a CVA .58cal. Mountain Rifle which I built back in 1995. The powder charge was 110 grains of FFFg black powder. At the end of the deer season after not having an opportunity to shoot a deer, I unloaded the rifle into a 10-ream sized computer paper box stacked lengthwise with frozen telephone books which had been outside getting rained on for 3 month prior. After going through every book, twice, in the hopes of retrieving the bullet, and not finding it, I discovered it buried in 8" of frozen ground, having passed through the phone books first...now THAT's penetration - with relatively little deformation.
While not the same as flesh and blood it does give you some idea of the power. The little bit of black powder hunting I have done 100 grains was always consider the minumum. What is interesting is the fact during the great buffalo harvest of the 1870's and 1880's the main guns that did the vast majority of the killing used under 80 grains of powder. The buffalo I harvested was taken with a 50-70 Government with a lead bullet. The bullet broke a rib on entry traveled 33 inches and broke the off shoulder, all with just 70 grains of powder. With your 110 grain no dinasours are safe.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:51 AM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
While not the same as flesh and blood it does give you some idea of the power. The little bit of black powder hunting I have done 100 grains was always consider the minumum. What is interesting is the fact during the great buffalo harvest of the 1870's and 1880's the main guns that did the vast majority of the killing used under 80 grains of powder. The buffalo I harvested was taken with a 50-70 Government with a lead bullet. The bullet broke a rib on entry traveled 33 inches and broke the off shoulder, all with just 70 grains of powder. With your 110 grain no dinasours are safe.

LOL - yes indeed big, slow-moving chunks of lead are extremely dangerous...as the civil war casualties and deforestation proved. While 110 grains of FFg may not be considered a maximum load, 110 gr. of FFFG certainly is. I have used triple F grade powder in everything up to my .50 cal rifles for years, but should probably be using FFg in the .58cal. While I think it unlikely, a breech plug in the face would ruin a good day! I wish I owned a 50-70 or 50-110. I remember reading a Mike Venturino article about his experiences Buffalo hunting with the "Quigley" replica and an original. The accuracy wasn't anything spectacular, I believe it was 3-4" MOA, but with that size projectile does it really matter? Unfortunately they cost about three times what I paid for my AR's. I would like to get Marlin's 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 - I believe that would suffice for just about any North American game animal.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 09-29-2009 at 03:00 AM.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 AM   #30

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemccarthy707 View Post
The last moose I shot with core lokt was out of a .270. It was the 130 gr and at about 200 yards I shot him thru the heart and out the other side. He dropped where he stood no running away nothing it was just like turning a light switch. I couldnt believe the penetration. Neither could my father in-law and his buddy. It was basically like the animal got skewered. This animal had a 17 point rack and the hind quarters dressed 180lbs each (about 100lb animal). I havent taken an animal with the .300 yet but my dad has, he never had to fire more than 1 shot. I think he has shot 3 animals with it.

On the other hand I was with my father in law when he was using a .303
He was using the winchester cxp2 for light-skinned animals. He fired 9 times hitting the animal every time. Every time the animal would shudder and step ahead. The 10th shot broke its back. We walked up to it and had to put it down with a close range head shot. We found out after that the light skinned bullets would not penetrate the hide. When we were skinning the animal 9 slugs fell out from under the skin. It was only then that he looked at the box of bullets (he thought it was a bad batch) and realized they were for thin-skinned animals such as deer. Stupid mistake that caused the animal some extra unneccessary suffering. BTW he was only about 75 yards from the animal.
Your experence with the 303 and Winchester light game bullets is typical of the wrong bullet for the game hunted. In the early part of the 20th century the 303 british was used extensively in the northern Canada regions and too many moose to count have been shot with this cartridge. Africa was also hunted heavily with the 303 and in both cases had excellent results. However the main bullets used were 215 grain softpoints and 174 grain fmj,s both with excellent penatration properties. Many elephant and cape buffalo were killed with the 303. Dont think this would be possible with those Winchester bullets.