Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Eat what you shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 02:19 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ..thanks..

..Them is some great Golden Rules,,in my era
but now days you make a kid or should i say
young man eat a Robin,they call it abuse..LOL
....thanks....

Old 02-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #22

Who was this person named Robin?

Same rules apply in this house. I, too, find no "fun" or love in the killing. There is a thrill in the harvest, yes. But it's not the same as bloodlust.

And as for turkeys - - hooboy!!! Now THAT'S exciting! Getting a spring gobbler fanning and strutting within a few YARDS of you and him not even knowing you're there... well sir, no amount of buck fever ever came close to that. Gets me every year. And I get at least one turkey every year. Fall hunting is not so exciting at all, but the meat, to me anyhow, tastes a whole lot better, I think it's just because of differences in what foods they've got available.

- Tim C.

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered. ...A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason."

~ Thomas Paine, January, 1776, from "Common Sense"

Old 03-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2hunt View Post
The thrill of the hunt is the why I hunt, not the kill. I also process the game I harvest. I won't eat coyotes or crows but I usually don't harvest many of either. If the coyotes don't have mange, I'll skin it and tan it.
Ever 'hunted' with blanks? You get to do the stalk, if that's what you do, and when it's time to shoot, no harm is done.

I've heard it works well with those scopes that take pictures.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:11 AM   #24

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I only shoot it if I intend to eat it, with only one exception. My little brother and I shoot the lizards in my back yard for fun when he comes to visit

Old 04-09-2008, 01:08 AM   #25

I shoot squirrel and shoot deer, and I eat em both.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it wont have to be put to use until they try and take it from us" - Thomas jefferson

Old 04-15-2008, 12:06 AM   #26

I shoot and eat a lot of deer. I also like to eat wild turkey and squirrel. Rabbits are good too.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:09 AM   #27

Ever eat chicken that somebody just killed and plucked, its funny tasteing but good.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it wont have to be put to use until they try and take it from us" - Thomas jefferson

Old 04-15-2008, 02:29 AM   #28

I love to hunt. I view it as somewhat of a birth right. My ancestors have been doing it since the dawn of man. It is only natural. Some scientists say that the humans' need to hunt and eat meat is what spurred our evolution. Sometimes though I feel a small pang of regret, I have to sit down and have a "talk" to the recently departed and God to express my appreciation for the sacrifice. It sounds wierd but it is just something that I do. I don't know why. When it comes to shooting for fun, I like to clean the dollar store out of all their Barbasol for targets. Luke warm cans of club soda do the trick also.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #29

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default shoot to eat

I don't shoot anything unless i'm gonna eat it, that's just wrong and a waste of ammunition. Unless of course your talking about skunk or coyotes. I shot a skunk last week at 200 yards, iron sights on my SKS, one shot/one kill. I love eating rabbit, squirrel, deer, turkey.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #30

It depends, we had one year that the deer population got so bad on the farm they where tearing up our corn field. Game warden said to shoot but leave them lay.

Forget that, we filled my uncle's freezer and our own before season opened. 13 deer before opening day. We wound up using deer meat as dog and cat food. I think population control is our job as laid out in Genesis. I don't like to waste anything, I fish to eat fish and I hunt to eat meat. I would like someone to post a link on the proper way to process a deer. I try to be a good steward of money and I can do it if I had a chart or something. BTW, rabbit is the best meat ever.

If we would have left them lay that would have gone against my morals. I've lost one deer and I did my best to find it. I know that deer fed other animals, but I think we should do our best to manage what God gave us to the best of our abilities and besides, food is getting expensive, us hunters are going to be the only ones that can survive when this country does finally collapse.

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.