Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Dove season is next week....who has the hunting bug!? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/dove-season-next-week-who-has-hunting-bug-17455/)

spittinfire 08-28-2009 06:10 PM

Dove season is next week....who has the hunting bug!?

That's right gents, here in NC dove season opens on Labor day at 12. I will wage war on the bird of peace in hopes of dinning on a tender dove breast wrapped in bacon. On top of that I will enjoy every minute of unloading, breaking open, reloading and repeating with my 16 ga as those fast winged beauties fly by. BUT!!!
Deer season is close at hand!!! I'm going to make my first attempt at bow hunting this year and I AM PUMPED!! I saw several deer in a field the other night and wished I had a rifle.....you know the bug. Who else has it?? Who else is ready for hunting season and what do you hunt?

Myself?? I hunt dove, squirrel, deer, and turkey with the random other thrown in. Wife won't let me duck hunt because she likes ducks. I give her that because she doesn't give me any crap about hunting anything else. I'd like to add bear to the list in the near future but we'll see.

Jess 08-28-2009 06:40 PM

counting down the days...not for doves since we can't hunt them here. But there are lots of other things that will keep us occupied

ETA-wrapping anything in bacon ends well!

divinginn 08-28-2009 06:49 PM

I am ready,squirrel season is already open,have not gone yet but did get my rifle sighted in the other day. I need to find a decent dove field.

spittinfire 08-28-2009 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess (Post 152297)
counting down the days...not for doves since we can't hunt them here. But there are lots of other things that will keep us occupied

ETA-wrapping anything in bacon ends well!

You are correct, my new lady friend, and my wife will agree. We fix up our dove in a number of waves but you can't beat a raw dove breast, wrapped in bacon and thrown in the grill.

I welcome any and all dove receipes!!

divinginn 08-28-2009 07:23 PM

Sometimes I cut them up and put them in chili and Brunswick stew. The bacon wrap and grill is very good also.

Jess 08-28-2009 07:33 PM

I have a far more extensive venison recipe catalog, since we eat about 150-200lbs of venison a year.

spittinfire 08-28-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess (Post 152331)
I have a far more extensive venison recipe catalog, since we eat about 150-200lbs of venison a year.

Please share....

BigByrd47119 08-28-2009 08:51 PM

Me think, we need a new sticky for the diffrent recipies everyone has for diffrent game (make it a note to read the other posts so as not to get two of the same recipie)

dukech1 08-28-2009 10:10 PM

Can't wait to kill them birds either. I like to wrap bacon and a split jalapeno pepper around the tasty little morsels, then grill till browned and delicious. Grill some corn on the cob and a couple of taters, wash down with cold home-brew. Can't wait. And yes we need a sticky on recipes too.

fisher77 08-30-2009 07:16 AM

I am ready for dove season. Went and bought everything today. Opens Tuesday the 1st here.