Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Dove season (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/dove-season-71507/)

USEBOTHHANDS 08-31-2012 07:24 AM

Dove season

well, dove season opens for us this weekend........right after the hurricane.

i have a question for a few of the dove hunters out there.

the doves will be "starvin" after the storm, but for what reason??? will they be lookin for edibles because they fasted the whole time durin the big blow, or will they be famished from the flight out of the hurricane path, and the flight back into the area?

would just like to hear some opinions.

my opinion is that they would hole up somewhere, ride it out, and after, try to gorge themselves on the freshly, harvested grain (milo, soybeans, corn that the farmers tried to get out before the rains) before it starts to sprout or go bad from all the water.

cottontop 08-31-2012 12:48 PM

I used to be on a dove lease near Ft. Meade, Florida. The farmer closed it down about two years ago. Anybody know of any dove hunting spots in central Florida?
cottontop

PanBaccha 08-31-2012 01:36 PM

I would never shoot a dove. I'd rather shoot drug-dealers. ;)

303tom 08-31-2012 02:08 PM

Yeah it does................

ineverFTF 08-31-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS
well, dove season opens for us this weekend........right after the hurricane.

i have a question for a few of the dove hunters out there.

the doves will be "starvin" after the storm, but for what reason??? will they be lookin for edibles because they fasted the whole time durin the big blow, or will they be famished from the flight out of the hurricane path, and the flight back into the area?

would just like to hear some opinions.

my opinion is that they would hole up somewhere, ride it out, and after, try to gorge themselves on the freshly, harvested grain (milo, soybeans, corn that the farmers tried to get out before the rains) before it starts to sprout or go bad from all the water.

I think you should find a baited field (where its legal) and hunt that. You're right the birds will be hungry. If you cant actually bait then hunt on a legal farm or around one as the winds will have carried the food all over. Just my opinion i have only been hunting for about 5-6 years, maybe pm one of the mods for a better answer.

MOshooter 08-31-2012 08:24 PM

Our Dove season starts Sept. 1st here in Missouri.

hiwall 08-31-2012 10:05 PM

PanBaccha. is there anything you would rather shoot than drug dealers? I am totally ok with the whole drug dealer shooting spree thing:).

hiwall 08-31-2012 10:08 PM

doves are challenging. good eating. easy to clean. and a renewable resource.

USEBOTHHANDS 09-03-2012 10:37 PM

well, we wound up killin a total of 500+ birds in 2 mornin hunts and 2 evenin hunts..........saturday (12 noon til close), sunday (mornin and evenin), and mornin monday.

16 of us dint do too bad. some could shoot, and others were there to waste shells. lol FUN, FUN!

but we left about 5000 more still flyin high, low, and in-between.

can't wait til next weekend!!!