Dove Hunting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Dove Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 04:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dove Hunting

I was just wanting to see if anyone here has had any expirence dove hunting with a 12 guage that has an 18 inch open choke barrel? I was thinking of having the barrel cut down on my winchester 1200. Before I do I'd like to know if the gun will be worth anything for hunting dove. All I use this gun for is dove hunting and home defense, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you guys why a 28" barrel sucks inside a house. Being that it is used to dove hunt 2 weeks out of the year and for defense the other 50, I figured it should be a little more well equiped.

Thanks,

Kyle

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you want to hunt with the gun, don't cut it. Also, just because the gun is legal with an 18" barrel doesn't mean that it is still lagal to hunt with. Check your regulations for barrel length.
You could always buy a second barrel and have one cut, then just switch them during dove season.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
If you want to hunt with the gun, don't cut it. Also, just because the gun is legal with an 18" barrel doesn't mean that it is still legal to hunt with. Check your regulations for barrel length.
You could always buy a second barrel and have one cut, then just switch them during dove season.
That's the best advice right there FTK87, and I would do the same, you do have them options.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A 18 inch barrel with no choke would blow,it would be very short range and frustrating for dove,they do not always cooperate and fly low directly over you. buy a second gun or barrel to do both.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 AM   #5

Well, Dove season here start september 1st so I think I will wait till after dove season, have it cun and see about buying a different barrel in the "off season". I wanted to just buy an 18 inch barrel, but got to looking and they were over 200, so I got to thinking about cutting this one down. I mean for 200 I could get a "new to me" shotgun! That might also be an option, even though I generally only hunt dove, it might be nice to have the option to use shells bigger than 2 3/4. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Kyle

Old 08-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #6

Dove season opens in Sep here in NV. I use my rem 1100 w/28" barrel modified choke. 2 boxes of shells too ................markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Old 08-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd recommend keeping your shotgun like it is & buying another shotgun for dedicated home defense. Get something like a Maverick or a Mossberg 500. They're cheap, reliable, and have a ton of aftermarket accs available to convert to a dandy home defense gun. You could get 1 for the same price as another barrel for your Winchester.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #8

Thanks for all the imput guys, just to let you know, I have found a stoeger coach gun that maight serve as my home defense shot gun for a while, I'd hope 2 rounds of buckshot and 8 rounds of .45 hollow points can get me to my AR

Old 08-31-2009, 06:45 AM   #9

Default Ebay

FTK87 I bought my 18" barrel for my 870 on ebay for about 100$ but see them going for less and more too. Try craigslist too or the ads on cheaper than dirt too. I have a long barrel for hunting and keep the pistol grips and 18" on it under the bed the rest of the year!