Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Dove Hunting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/dove-hunting-17042/)

FTK87 08-17-2009 03:16 AM

Dove Hunting

I was just wanting to see if anyone here has had any expirence dove hunting with a 12 guage that has an 18 inch open choke barrel? I was thinking of having the barrel cut down on my winchester 1200. Before I do I'd like to know if the gun will be worth anything for hunting dove. All I use this gun for is dove hunting and home defense, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you guys why a 28" barrel sucks inside a house. Being that it is used to dove hunt 2 weeks out of the year and for defense the other 50, I figured it should be a little more well equiped.

Thanks,

Kyle

spittinfire 08-17-2009 02:09 PM

If you want to hunt with the gun, don't cut it. Also, just because the gun is legal with an 18" barrel doesn't mean that it is still lagal to hunt with. Check your regulations for barrel length.
You could always buy a second barrel and have one cut, then just switch them during dove season.

IGETEVEN 08-17-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 145976)
If you want to hunt with the gun, don't cut it. Also, just because the gun is legal with an 18" barrel doesn't mean that it is still legal to hunt with. Check your regulations for barrel length.
You could always buy a second barrel and have one cut, then just switch them during dove season.

That's the best advice right there FTK87, and I would do the same, you do have them options. :cool:

Jack

divinginn 08-17-2009 06:55 PM

A 18 inch barrel with no choke would blow,it would be very short range and frustrating for dove,they do not always cooperate and fly low directly over you. buy a second gun or barrel to do both.

FTK87 08-18-2009 02:43 AM

Well, Dove season here start september 1st so I think I will wait till after dove season, have it cun and see about buying a different barrel in the "off season". I wanted to just buy an 18 inch barrel, but got to looking and they were over 200, so I got to thinking about cutting this one down. I mean for 200 I could get a "new to me" shotgun! That might also be an option, even though I generally only hunt dove, it might be nice to have the option to use shells bigger than 2 3/4. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Kyle

markerdown 08-18-2009 01:33 PM

Dove season opens in Sep here in NV. I use my rem 1100 w/28" barrel modified choke. 2 boxes of shells too :D ................markerdown

stalkingbear 08-18-2009 04:51 PM

I'd recommend keeping your shotgun like it is & buying another shotgun for dedicated home defense. Get something like a Maverick or a Mossberg 500. They're cheap, reliable, and have a ton of aftermarket accs available to convert to a dandy home defense gun. You could get 1 for the same price as another barrel for your Winchester.

FTK87 08-18-2009 09:18 PM

Thanks for all the imput guys, just to let you know, I have found a stoeger coach gun that maight serve as my home defense shot gun for a while, I'd hope 2 rounds of buckshot and 8 rounds of .45 hollow points can get me to my AR

badarmybrad 08-31-2009 05:45 AM

Ebay

FTK87 I bought my 18" barrel for my 870 on ebay for about 100$ but see them going for less and more too. Try craigslist too or the ads on cheaper than dirt too. I have a long barrel for hunting and keep the pistol grips and 18" on it under the bed the rest of the year!