Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Dog-a man's best friend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dog-a man's best friend

We had twelve good seasons of life and of hunting. Hundreds of retrieved doves, ducks,quail and pheasants. If you've ever had to put down a hunting companion, its one of the hardest things you will ever do short of burying a loved one. Today was not my day and it was Dutchie's last. She went quick and peacefully while gazing into my eyes for the last time after the IV injection. I've included a photo of my loss and a tribute to all of you who understand the meaning of "DOG- A Man's Best Friend".

The following is from George Graham Vest in his summation at trial regarding the nobility of Old Drum. We can learn a lot from the Character of mans best friend.

The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter whom he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us -- those whom we trust with our happiness and good name -- may become traitors in their faith. The money that a man has he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads. The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog.
A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and poverty, in health and sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow, and the snow drives fiercely, if only he can be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer; he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.
"If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies. And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace, and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #2

Liked 38 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm so sorry Plinker, Maybe this can help a little. When Glass and I lost our girls and boy last year, we lost all three in a little less than 3 months, our Vet sent the following to us.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Old 04-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #3

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

I'm so sorry for your loss

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

Old 04-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I am sorry for your loss Plinker.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-26-2011, 01:58 AM   #5

I feel for you. Keep your head up, its what she would want you to do!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:03 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The furry ones become very close. I'm sorry for your loss.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-26-2011, 02:08 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I know for sure what you're going through. My best friend was with the wife and I for 14 years and then one night while walking, her hip broke, and because she was so old, we had no choice. Thank God, there was an emergency vet open that night about 10 minutes away. I too, held her head in my arms, talking to her with all the love I could show her, till it was over. Terrible, nothing like it. The only thing that made it better later was rescueing a dog in need. I swear, he knows he's been rescued. He wasn't a replacement, but he's sure helped.

Hang in there!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:36 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6107 Times on 3699 Posts
Likes Given: 6910

Darn near made me cry. I've been there, too. You did the right thing for your faithful companion. It's the sadness we have to bear when we love an animal.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I know how you feel, Plink. I lost two of my three a few years back, in less than a month. I think about them every day.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-26-2011, 04:17 AM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

If your anything like me your in for a fair amount of hurt. No getting around it. But in time I come to see all the love over the years; and the hurt gets less.

And after a few months a new puppy helps too.

Thoughts and prayers to you sir.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."