The Dog ! - Page 13
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

The Dog !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I love big dogs, especially Labs, and thought I'd never have a little one. But in the seniors' apartment complex where I live we have a 25-pound size limit on pets. My first dog in MANY years is a little rat terrier mix who weighs all of fourteen pounds. He's a blast, 118% dawg, knows it, and likes it. Digs holes, chases squirrels, rolls in stuff, and if he can do it you can watch. Completely unlike all but one of the little dogs here, mostly a bunch of little yappy divas who think they are human. One woman has two tiny female Maltese. They have their own little pink and purple stroller with their cutesy names painted on it. The only other one I like here is a horny little Pomeranian who will hump architecture if you don't watch him. Bit of a PITA, but he knows he's a dog.

"Useful" dogs? Well, two doctors say my little Moose is keeping me alive, and my neighbors say I'm a different old wreck since I got him two years ago yesterday. Seems pretty useful to me, but yankee mike mike victor.
molonlabexx Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #122
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8755 Times on 5231 Posts
Likes Given: 11612

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
so sorry to all the purse dogs. German shepherds,
Quote:
Glad you were able to be a hero to them! Good job. I am basically saying, a dog that does not benefit you that you just feed and it does nothing, I really don't see the point. Now I believe in training them and companionizing them! Don't worry guys I love all dogs but just am biased towards the more worker type dogs. Either way, dogs are awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldazagged View Post
"Useful" dogs? Well, two doctors say my little Moose is keeping me alive, and my neighbors say I'm a different old wreck since I got him two years ago yesterday. Seems pretty useful to me, but yankee mike mike victor.

I have a medium sized dog (Border Collie) and two small dogs (Papillon and a Pug) and I can guarantee you my little dogs are very "useful". Pugs were bred as companion dogs. They don't hunt, guard, herd but they are the best companion dogs. I know my Pug serves a very useful purpose to me.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #123

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
I absolutely love dogs. Only dogs that are useful so sorry to all the purse dogs. German shepherds, Huskies, labs are about the only dogs I would want. I just can't get over how such a companion they are. They will never leave your side. They are amazing creatures that we are truly blessed with. And to the people that abuse them, shame on you.
Many small dog breeds were bred to hunt. I had a toy poodle cross that would hunt with my big dogs. I saw them all around a brush pile one day. Fred, the toy, went into the rabbits lair and flushed the rabbits out to Peaches, a lab collie rescue, and Ali, a Springer rescue.

Peaches and Ali hunted for us, not themselves. The brought me 3 bunnies that day. All three are.gone now, Fred was hit by an idiot driving too fast, kind of ironic since we found him on a roadside. Ali died suddenly from a brain tumor. Peaches just got old.

I also thought little dogs weren't much use till then.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #124

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Terriers (French for "earth dogs") were bred to go into holes in the ground and pull out pissed-off animals backward. Even with a bad hind leg from an old injury, mine is unbelievably strong in reverse when we play tug-o'-war, which he loves.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #125
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1048 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 650

Years ago, when we lived in the suburbs of Atlanta, sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night and, before I dared open my eyes, would wonder if I was wakened by someone now standing over my bed.

After we got a terrier as a house dog… I NEVER worried about such stuff. When I woke at night, I could feel her sleeping beside us and knew that everything was good.

We’re now on a third generation Jack Russell and live a quarter-mile off the road in the country. Nothing comes across that cattle guard without her going into full alarm!

The little dogs do have their purpose….and, IMO, they definitely have a soul.
People Like This 
Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #126
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4448 Times on 2473 Posts
Likes Given: 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
Years ago, when we lived in the suburbs of Atlanta, sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night and, before I dared open my eyes, would wonder if I was wakened by someone now standing over my bed.

After we got a terrier as a house dog… I NEVER worried about such stuff. When I woke at night, I could feel her sleeping beside us and knew that everything was good.

We’re now on a third generation Jack Russell and live a quarter-mile off the road in the country. Nothing comes across that cattle guard without her going into full alarm!

The little dogs do have their purpose….and, IMO, they definitely have a soul.
Maybe I'll take my dog next time I have to sleep in a shady hotel... Although I don't normally worry about that, the noise the for knob makes when it turns will wake me up if I'm sleeping alone...

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #127
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8755 Times on 5231 Posts
Likes Given: 11612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Maybe I'll take my dog next time I have to sleep in a shady hotel... Although I don't normally worry about that, the noise the for knob makes when it turns will wake me up if I'm sleeping alone...
If I took any of my dogs to a hotel for the night, I'm afraid they'd bark at every noise at all. Like people walking down the hallway, the heater or air conditioner turning on. People outside, etc. They don't know what is "okay" sounds and what are unusual sounds. Well, the Pug wouldn't bark but the Papillon and Border Collie would.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #128
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1048 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Speaking of shady h(m)otels, when my wife was on the AQHA circuit she always took our dog with her to be in her room at night. If someone even touched the window or door in passing she would growl. (In a motel with a good bar band that can result in a sleepless night)
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #129
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
If I took any of my dogs to a hotel for the night, I'm afraid they'd bark at every noise at all. Like people walking down the hallway, the heater or air conditioner turning on. People outside, etc. They don't know what is "okay" sounds and what are unusual sounds. Well, the Pug wouldn't bark but the Papillon and Border Collie would.

I take my dog, Ember everywhere I can. If we're staying the night someplace different she just doesn't sleep. I know because when we get home she makes a beeline for the living room and passes out. She gets better the longer we stay though. If we get to a third night in the same place she'll crash for a couple hours before going back to perimeter watch. She can't help herself bein a Heeler/shepherd mix. Always on the clock

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-21-2013, 01:28 AM   #130
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4448 Times on 2473 Posts
Likes Given: 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

My dog probably would too he doesn't bark so much anymore though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

I take my dog, Ember everywhere I can. If we're staying the night someplace different she just doesn't sleep. I know because when we get home she makes a beeline for the living room and passes out. She gets better the longer we stay though. If we get to a third night in the same place she'll crash for a couple hours before going back to perimeter watch. She can't help herself bein a Heeler/shepherd mix. Always on the clock
Sounds like I'm a lot like your dog, I can't sleep in a strange place.

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Newest Threads