The Dog ! - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > The Dog !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #91
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Default Nubs

Seemed a good a place as any to post this, for those that haven't heard the story. Google "nubs the dog" to find out more. He's getting a movie deal!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4279495&page=1

For Maj. Brian Dennis, the Semper Fidelis credo extends beyond his fellow Marines.

The story began with a few e-mails Dennis sent home about a dog his unit had met while looking for insurgents along the border of Iraq and Syria. If all goes as planned, it will end with a man and a dog he grew to love reunited on American soil.

A pack of desert dogs lived at one of the Iraqi border forts the unit patrolled. A wiry German shepherd-border collie mix was the alpha dog. Maj. Brian Dennis took a liking to the animal, whose nubby ears had been cut off as a puppy. Dennis, a 36-year-old Marine serving his second tour in Iraq, saw the dog about each time they visited the fort. He named him "Nubs."

At first, Nubs wouldn't give the Marine the time of day. "Nubs wouldn't have anything to do with him," Marsha Cargo, the Marine's mother, told ABC News. "Brian just kept working on him and working on him."

Over a period of months, the animal came around, befriending Dennis and his fellow Marines. During one visit, Dennis found Nubs with a deep puncture wound on his left side. He later learned the injury was inflicted by a screwdriver. He helped nurse the dog back to health.
Maj. Brian Dennis and his dog

The time came, however, for Dennis' unit to relocate 70 miles from Nubs' home fort. He may have wanted to take Nubs with the unit, Dennis wrote in one one of his e-mails home, but there were too many dogs to rescue and keeping a canine was against the rules. As always, Nubs sprinted alongside the Hummers as they pulled away for what Dennis assumed was the last time he would see the dog.

Two days later, Nubs wandered inexplicably in below-freezing conditions into Dennis' new camp, shocking the Marine unit. "I won't even address the gauntlet he had to run of dog packs, wolves, and God knows what else to get here," Dennis wrote. "When he arrived he looked like he'd just been through a war zone.

"Uh, wait a minute, he had," Dennis wrote.

Nubs' miraculous journey forced the Marine's hand, and Dennis and his fellow Marines unanimously decided to keep the animal, building a doghouse at the camp. When two military police officers told Dennis the dog could not stay at the camp, he decided the only way to properly keep the animal was to get it to the United States.

"This dog who had been through a lifetime of fighting, war, abuse, and had tracked down our team over 70 miles of harsh desert was going to live the good life," Dennis wrote.

In early February, the dog crossed the border out of Iraq and into Jordan, where friends of Dennis were waiting for the animal. The dog currently is receiving the proper vaccinations and will soon be transported to an F-18 pilot at Camp Pendleton in San Diego, the American base where Dennis, also a fighter pilot by training, is stationed. The Marine has received permission to keep Nubs with him at work.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #92

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

[quote="nitestalker;1101415"]Truck Driver school grads? As you can see a driver of 25 years and a well you get the idea? We have hired hundreds of OTR drivers over the years. The real ones are hard to find. The others can not pass a Pee test.
I have had many that go through the background check, per employ history, physical, driving test, all to either flunk or no show for the drug test.:::: what the hell huh

Last edited by Muliemaster; 01-20-2013 at 03:34 AM.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:56 AM   #93
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8594

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Seemed a good a place as any to post this, for those that haven't heard the story. Google "nubs the dog" to find out more. He's getting a movie deal!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4279495&page=1

For Maj. Brian Dennis, the Semper Fidelis credo extends beyond his fellow Marines.

The story began with a few e-mails Dennis sent home about a dog his unit had met while looking for insurgents along the border of Iraq and Syria. If all goes as planned, it will end with a man and a dog he grew to love reunited on American soil.

A pack of desert dogs lived at one of the Iraqi border forts the unit patrolled. A wiry German shepherd-border collie mix was the alpha dog. Maj. Brian Dennis took a liking to the animal, whose nubby ears had been cut off as a puppy. Dennis, a 36-year-old Marine serving his second tour in Iraq, saw the dog about each time they visited the fort. He named him "Nubs."

At first, Nubs wouldn't give the Marine the time of day. "Nubs wouldn't have anything to do with him," Marsha Cargo, the Marine's mother, told ABC News. "Brian just kept working on him and working on him."

Over a period of months, the animal came around, befriending Dennis and his fellow Marines. During one visit, Dennis found Nubs with a deep puncture wound on his left side. He later learned the injury was inflicted by a screwdriver. He helped nurse the dog back to health.
Maj. Brian Dennis and his dog

The time came, however, for Dennis' unit to relocate 70 miles from Nubs' home fort. He may have wanted to take Nubs with the unit, Dennis wrote in one one of his e-mails home, but there were too many dogs to rescue and keeping a canine was against the rules. As always, Nubs sprinted alongside the Hummers as they pulled away for what Dennis assumed was the last time he would see the dog.

Two days later, Nubs wandered inexplicably in below-freezing conditions into Dennis' new camp, shocking the Marine unit. "I won't even address the gauntlet he had to run of dog packs, wolves, and God knows what else to get here," Dennis wrote. "When he arrived he looked like he'd just been through a war zone.

"Uh, wait a minute, he had," Dennis wrote.

Nubs' miraculous journey forced the Marine's hand, and Dennis and his fellow Marines unanimously decided to keep the animal, building a doghouse at the camp. When two military police officers told Dennis the dog could not stay at the camp, he decided the only way to properly keep the animal was to get it to the United States.

"This dog who had been through a lifetime of fighting, war, abuse, and had tracked down our team over 70 miles of harsh desert was going to live the good life," Dennis wrote.

In early February, the dog crossed the border out of Iraq and into Jordan, where friends of Dennis were waiting for the animal. The dog currently is receiving the proper vaccinations and will soon be transported to an F-18 pilot at Camp Pendleton in San Diego, the American base where Dennis, also a fighter pilot by training, is stationed. The Marine has received permission to keep Nubs with him at work.
What a wonderful story. That made my day. Thank you.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #94

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Truck Driver school grads? As you can see a driver of 25 years and a well you get the idea? We have hired hundreds of OTR drivers over the years. The real ones are hard to find. The others can not pass a Pee test?
The new age drivers are well im not gonna open this can of worms, I only run 8 trucks but see plenty of trash, they seem to think a bullhauler needs to be a drug addict, an a scroungy lookin cuss. I have ran 5800 miles in a week many times in my life never touched dope an have a zero tolerance for it. I only hire clean cut well dressed PROFESSIONAL TRUCK DRIVERS

Last edited by Muliemaster; 01-20-2013 at 03:30 AM.
Cinderocka1989 Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #95
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 101

WOC - any pictures of the dog who adopted you from the dog park ?

Nubs may have survived a war and I hope he can survive the tender loving care of the US Army. The paperwork can be lethal & admin moves at the speed of pond water.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 02-05-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #96

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I have rescued dogs on occasion (my wife told me I have to stop at 2). Zelda and her sister came from a puppy mill cross breading Mastifs and Labs. I kept one and the other went to another good home.

I was driving OTR at the time so my wife trained her. She likes to lay around like a Mastif and drools a lot. We live in the country and Zelda is the protector.

I got sick with an infection about a month ago and was sitting on the bed and she would't let me get up. This was before I knew about the infection and I got the shakes and chills uncontrollably. Somehow she knew.

When my mom passed away 2 years ago she never left my side (I was close to my mom since my dad preferred to be at the bar than home with his family).

She has trained the other dog (also a rescue). Now I have 2 awesome dogs.

forumrunner_20130215_073441.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #97

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you want a fine companion who will give you tons of love and gratitude, get a rescue dog.

I hadn't owned a dog for thirty years---most of that time lived in a no-pets apartment. I figured I was too old and crippled-up with arthritis and bad COPD to take care of one. But I screwed up and began watching the "Animal Cops" series on Animal Planet, seeing all the abandoned and terribly abused critters. "Well," I said to myself, "maybe it wouldn't hurt to at least look at the dogs at the animal control shelter."

They brought out a little rat terrier for me to look at. His owners must have loved him, as they had obviously spent serious money on surgically repairing his injuries after he was busted up, almost certainly by a car. But then, unaccountably, they moved away and left him. He was skinny, only ten and a half pounds, and limped a little because of the old hip injury. But he leaped into my lap, madly licked my face, stuck the coldest nose south of Fairbanks in my ear, and I realized he had adopted me.

(I thought I must be special because of all the kisses, but I later discovered that the little bastard will do that with anybody. He even likes mail carriers.)

I named hiim Moose and got his weight up to fourteen pounds. We bonded intensely from the start, and after a couple of weeks I decided our relationship had progressed enough for us to sleep together.

I'm 75 and he's about fifty in human years. I walk him a lot, and two doctors say he's doing a lot to keep me alive.

He's a complete joy. I always thought if you had to bend over to pet your dog what you had was a snack for areal dog, but the terrier personality suits me just fine.

I'm going to order a T-shirt I saw that says "Rescued is my favorite breed."

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

People Like This 
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #98
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Shouldazagged, that story just warmed my heart! huge respect for saving one that might have gotten put down. we also have several that were either rescue pups or strays that people dumped out in our rural area. i wish i were able to save more than i can, and yes rescue pups are so glad and overjoyed to have someone love them and treat them right.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #99

Liked 687 Times on 377 Posts
Likes Given: 1449

My profile pic says it all (Yes ... they belong to me, both rescues). No "tearing up/fighting it back" icon...dangit... Looking forward to the premier of "Glory Hounds" on the Animal Planet channel this week. http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/glory-hounds

PS- the dogs at Westmeinster this year were exceptional...but the winner was Banana Joe (?!?!?)... the Doberman should have won hands down!!!

Old 02-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #100

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I've had more dogs than I can remember, all but one a rescue. They are the best in my opinion. I honestly feel they are what gives me the strength to continue being a productive person. When my wife and I decided to sell our house (expensive to live in the country) and rent in town we made a list of "non-negotiables" so we could be on the same page. Having our dogs was one of them.

We found a place in town and went to look at it even though they said no pets. When we met they said their last tenant had a loud dog. We assured him that they were big (80# each) but whe had them several years and they were well trained house dogs. We brought the dogs by so they could meet them and they said the house was ours if we want it. We move march first, the dogs don't like it bit I'm sure as long as their people are there they will be fine.