Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > The Dog !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1143 Times on 784 Posts
Likes Given: 1149

Default The Dog !

A dog sits waiting in the cold autumn sun
Too faithful to leave too frightened to run.
He's been here for days now with nothing to do
But sit by the road, waiting for you.
He can't understand why you left him that day
He thought you and he were stopping to play.

He's sure you'll come back, and that's why he stays
How long will he suffer? How many more days?
His legs have grown weak; his throat is parched and dry.
He's sick now from hunger, and falls with a sigh.
He lays down his head and closes his eyes.
I wish you could see how a waiting dog dies.

~ Kathy Flood ~

dog-.jpg  

When all else fails.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6949 Times on 4180 Posts
Likes Given: 8360

Thanks. You just broke my heart. I have a soft spot for animals and I would no sooner harm or ignore an animal in need than a human in need. Truly, this made me very sad.

People Like This 
Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 652 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 374

I saw that very thing a couple of weeks before Christmas. Someone dropped off a German Shepard at the church just up from my house. Every day she was sitting there, anxiously watching down the road..waiting for her people to come back and get her. I stopped and talked to her but she wouldn't have anything to do with me. I finally bought a sack of dog food and started putting out some every day for her. Just before New Years I left her a ham bone…which she picked up after I got back in the truck.

About a week ago she disappeared.

Some human beings don't deserve the name.

Thanks, 303. I'm going to keep the poem.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 784 Posts
Likes Given: 1149

I will the first to admit, I cried................

When all else fails.

Popeye77 Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #5

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Summer 2009. I was working pipeline out of Vivian, Louisiana, about an hour and a half from where I now live. On the highway between there and Atlanta, Texas, is the only time I've ever committed any kind of violent crime, or any violence for that matter, that wasn't done in self defense.

I saw a man in a car, oncoming lane of the two lane, lightly traveled state highway. He didn't even come to a stop to throw the dog, a spaniel breed, from his window. I watched the dog roll and tumble. My coworkers and I groaned. Then, as the idea crossed my mind, I swerved sideways, jack knifing my trailer and blocking his path.

I got out, and asked him what the hell happened. He said he "didn't want the stupid mutt". I dragged him from his car, and beat him. Then I put the dog down, who was horribly injured from being thrown from the car window. They bought me all the beer I could handle that night.

I was never charged. As far as I know, no one even looked for me. My truck and trailer were easily identifiable, and I was staying at the local roach motel less than 5 miles away, and it even stayed parked on the side facing the highway. It didn't even make it into the local paper. I stayed there for almost 2 more months.

And some of y'all think I'm heartless and get a hard on for killing innocent family pets.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I rescued a dog like that.
She is the best one I have ever owned. How do I get that on facebook?

She and her brother were thrown out on the road in East Texas. Which is a common in this particular region. Have no idea what breed she is. Part Golden and Chow maybe, I dont know. No one knows what happened to her brother. Coyotes I suspect.
I saw her when I went to look at some property next to ours that was for sale. She would not come to me but eventually would follow my Golden. After repeated attempts to get her in the truck I gave up and started to drive away from her down the hill.
In my rear view mirror I saw her walk out and sit in the middle of the road an watch us drive away.
That did it!
I stopped in the road called my wife she said "go get her"
Turned around and since she would follow and play with Radar (the Golden) I let him out and let them bond a little more. Got in my truck and with the door started driving slowly away towards the Cabin and told Radar to heel. Radar followed the truck, She followed him. About 10:00 that night she finally came inside and went to the far corner and laid down and stayed there.

Got her home the next night after spending a day working at the cabin. She went to a far corner in the den and parked under an antique sewing machine and only came out to eat,relieve herself (outside, never had an accident in the house) or play with Radar. My intentions were to try to find her a home. She found one.
About two weeks later I was almost asleep and I heard a soft thump on the bed. I saw a small paw on the bed and two little pointed ears sticking up. I was finally no longer something to be feared. Fairly certain she was abused. If raised my cap or raise my hand near she would cower and seek cover
She is now the guardian of the house and rules her queendom against any and all real or perceived threats. Also the sworn enemy of those evil squirrels
Vet said she was about 7 mos. when I found her. She is getting some gray on her muzzle at about 8 years old (my best guess). She learned to heel and sit in five minutes. Put her in a CGC class and she was the star. Won every competition or giveaway they held.
There will never be another like her.
Here's Missy

Radar

Last edited by Popeye77; 01-13-2013 at 05:30 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

That is exactly why the more people I meet, the more I like my dog. If you need a true friend get a dog !

Old 01-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #8

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

A stray I had at one time. I was sitting on my porch in Sturgis MS, (pop 275 country bred souls) right on the side of the state highway smoking a cigarette. I see what looks like a little yellow brown speck in the distance. A smallish yellow lab came walking down the highway, turned into my driveway, walked up on the porch, laid his head on my lap, received his scratch behind the ears, and laid down at my feet like that's where he belonged.

He stayed for a while, several months. My boy, just under 2 years old at the time, would even play with his tail while he was eating.

My grandfather had his 5th heart attack, which led to his third open heart surgery. We spent so much time running back and forth to the hospital and keeping up with work, I think he just wandered off to find another family to adopt. We'd named him butterscotch.

He was a young dog with an old soul. After a bath and a flea dip, he was allowed in the house. He split his nights sleeping on the floor on my side of the bed, and under my son's crib.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6949 Times on 4180 Posts
Likes Given: 8360

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
I saw that very thing a couple of weeks before Christmas. Someone dropped off a German Shepard at the church just up from my house. Every day she was sitting there, anxiously watching down the road..waiting for her people to come back and get her. I stopped and talked to her but she wouldn't have anything to do with me. I finally bought a sack of dog food and started putting out some every day for her. Just before New Years I left her a ham bone…which she picked up after I got back in the truck.

About a week ago she disappeared.

Some human beings don't deserve the name.

Thanks, 303. I'm going to keep the poem.
I would have called animal control who has ways to catch dogs like that.

I had a dog for many years that followed me home one day, sort of. I was walking in downtown Chicago with a girlfriend. A dog came racing out of Grant Park and appeared to be so excited to see me. He was all excited and dancing around me. There were people in the park playing frisbee, picnicing, etc. My friend and I walked slowly waiting for someone to notice their dog was following us. We got to the end of that section of park and turned and walked back again, slow. No one ever called the dog. He was happily trotting ahead of us, glancing back every few seconds to keep an eye on us. We ditched into a store when he wasn't looking, hoping to lose him. He glanced back, didn't see us and went crazy running up and down the street looking for us. I felt guilty, we stepped out of the store lobby and that dog was all over me like he almost lost his best friend. Needless to say, we loaded him into my car, I took him home, cleaned him up and he was my friend and guardian for the next 13 years or so. He was dirty, flea ridden, had multiple cuts and was afraid of brooms and, oddly enough but you can figure this out, he was afraid of flashlights in a dark room. Like someone was searching for him to hurt him. He also despised people who had been drinking and smelled of alcohol. No dog has ever loved me like that dog. Where ever I went with him, all I had to do was look around and he'd be lying somewhere near, watching me. I don't know what it was but that dog had a 'thing' for me like I've never seen before. I know all my dogs love me but there was something extremely special about what that dog felt for me and I never could figure out why, in the crowd of people that day, that dog singled me out.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 01-13-2013 at 07:17 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20859 Times on 11857 Posts
Likes Given: 52397

when i see stories like this, i see there are others who think and feel the same as i do about strays. i live on a rural county road out in the country that has very few houses on it and it seems it's a good place for people to dump their unwanted pets on. i currently have four dogs that were dumped that i took in.

some people don't deserve a dog! i can't stand people who abuse animals.

People Like This