Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Does anyone hunt wearing tactical gear? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/does-anyone-hunt-wearing-tactical-gear-71602/)

Hdq 09-01-2012 11:34 PM

Does anyone hunt wearing tactical gear?

I am an armed security guard for a company and I bought my own equipment for the job tactical boots tactical pants tactical vest ect.. Anyways I want to get more into hunting but I am just starting out and dont have the money for the nice camoflauge from real tree the or the money for a beautifal rifle and the nice buck knife and all that if I were to go hunting id look like a swat team officer in the foresst lol what do you wear while hunting?

c3shooter 09-02-2012 12:18 AM

Here you damned well better be wearing blaze orange!

Chainfire 09-02-2012 12:31 AM

Where I hunt, the game really doesn't seem to mind what you wear, or whether you carry a Gerber or a cheap butcher knife. Who knows, Southern game may not be as fashion conscious as game in other places.

On the other hand, I have seen cammo trucks, boats, scopes, underware (I guess that is in case you are having a BM when the deer shows up) bathing suits, even diapers, sheets, and pajamas. I assume that others think the cammo thing is important. My wife has taken two deer with her car, and it doesn't have a spot of green on it. ;)

tonydewar 09-02-2012 03:16 AM

tac knife aint gonna do you a bit of good unless you jump out of a tree and cut that deer or hogs throat and birds? thay fly to fast. vest pants boots might impress your buds at the range(ya right) but game dont see that crap

tonydewar 09-02-2012 03:23 AM

sorry didnt answer your question jeans, carhot coat, and llbean boots in the winter . shorts and tshirt for dove. the only time i dress is for trap or clays tourneys

303tom 09-02-2012 05:16 AM

No................

triggerjob 09-02-2012 05:43 AM

I wear my navy field parka when its cold, and sometimes my boonie cap. My under standing is most animals are color blind anyway and respond mainly to movement. If youre gonna wear your tactical gear, make sure you add some blaze orange, so some noob doesnt shoot you thinkinh youre a sasquarch.

Oh yeah and remember, the scarriest thing youll ever encounter while hunting is another hunter, especially a stupid one.

triggerjob 09-02-2012 05:48 AM

I ussually wear usgi issue 9" boots, cuase they are comfortable to walk in, and they keep the stickers ojt of youre socks, and the navy gavethem to me for free :-)

c3shooter 09-02-2012 01:12 PM

Serious answer- depends on the weather. Like the man said- dove hunting, T shirt, shorts, sneakers. It is HOT out there!

Deer season? Usually jeans, couple of layers over that (get cool if still hunting) pair of boots- jungle or jump, depending on how wet it is. GOOD SOX. May have gloves in cold weather- cap with a brim for sun control.

And except for Turkey season, you MUST be wearing blaze orange here. There are NO blaze orange animals. Check the Game commission website in your state.

I used to wear tactical gear, camo up all exposed skin, use a veil and/or a ghille suit- but that was when I was hunting people, and vice versa. The Army let me retire, and I don't need that for Bambi.

Knife? Yeah, have the usual assortments, including K-Bars and a Gerber Mk 1. What I take deer hunting is a sharp, heavy bladed 3 inch pocket knife. Enough to field dress a deer.

Rick1967 09-02-2012 01:31 PM

I went elk hunting last year for the first time. Everyone had camo on. I had some too. But I already owned it. I am also a paintballer. If I didn't already own it, there is no way I would spend a bunch of cash on camo clothing when I wear a blaze orange hat and vest. People do it though.