Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   deer trails (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/deer-trails-86630/)

habhammer 03-15-2013 06:59 PM

deer trails

Do buck trails differ from doe trails - meaning do have their own travel route?

orangello 03-15-2013 07:34 PM

Only the muslim deer.

;)

tri70 03-16-2013 01:09 AM

Most will move on the same trails but different times.

limbkiller 03-16-2013 01:20 AM

Yes big time. During the rut bucks will travel doe trails at times but will use there own trails most of the year. Of course this refers to older bucks not the 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old deer. Big bucks have to be hunted as a separate species if you want to kill them. There trails will be in thicker cover and off to the side of doe trails.

nitestalker 03-16-2013 02:38 AM

The bucks tend to leave tracks with rounded or worn front hooves. The does more often leave a sharper toe print. This is not always a 100% but then neither is deer hunting.:)

Intheshop 03-16-2013 11:39 AM

During the height of the rut,Bucks in their desire for luvin,throw caution basically out the window.Explaining why you may be the most dedicated hunter you can be.....and there's a guy who's never stepped in the woods before this season,yet he shoots a whopper?

That ain't to say you shouldn't be extremely focused on trying to pattern them.Just that when love is in the air.....well,good luck.

We have trophy's runnin around in the yard(we live in the country).I study their behavior and never get tired of watching.Seeing Bucks fighting is a treat.But watching a 3-4 y.o. Doe as she goes into estrous also ranks up there.And I believe this is where you may find the most benny's studying them.

Good luck,it is an extremely exciting "sport".....wait,thats not PC?Haha.I don't shoot too many anymore....my boys take care of that.I'm the butcher and chef.And fresh wild meat is one of God's gifts to be properly thanked for and properly cared for once on the ground.Anything with a red sauce(Italian)and Venison beats any other meat hands down.

richone 03-17-2013 02:13 AM

i hunted the same area [ 200 yards ] for over 6 years and took 2 or more bucks every year .most of the bucks used the same trails as the bucks i took the past years .

limbkiller 03-17-2013 07:56 PM

I don't hunt trails anyway unless I want a doe for meat which is often. LOL I hunt funnels almost exclusively and do quit well. Forget trails and hunt the funnels i.e terrain features. You will do much better.

nitestalker 03-17-2013 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually deer trails are well marked in most states. ;)

Ruger52 03-17-2013 11:07 PM

Different times but different tracts. Bucks are heavier, They sink into soft groud deeper. Now this is not totaly true but an indicater. Bucks tracks are generally larger than does. This is very prevalent with mule deer. I am not that familiar with whitetails. But you also have to understand, that a very old doe will have a track, as big as a buck. But look closer. A buck track will have a small tang on the inside. The doe does not. This tang will present in soft dirt or mud. But not on hard ground as the tang is about 3 inches above the hoove.

Good shooting and hunting.