Deer sausage wasteful??

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Deer sausage wasteful??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Deer sausage wasteful??

I remember reading in a thread awhile back of someone saying that it is wasteful to make deer sausage with your kill. I dont understand that seeing as you mix it with pork for the fat content. It would seem you stretch it instead of wasting it. Thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7151 Times on 3915 Posts
Likes Given: 14495

How is consumption wasteful?

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 11-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

most people i know mix deer meat with some pork for the fat content. deer meat by itself is usually too lean.

really not understanding their reasoning at all. makes no sense.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #4

Liked 2199 Times on 1295 Posts
Likes Given: 478

What ever goes unused or uneaten is wasteful.

Some folks may say that grinding up the loins or the hams, and turning it into sausage is a waste of some of the best potential use of the prime cuts that make good steaks or jerky, or stew meat. But using some of the less choice cuts for sausage to ensure minimal unused meat is not wasteful.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 858 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 385

If you like deer sausage have deer sausage do yourself a big favor and pay little mind what other people think, they aren't eating it!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

People Like This 
Old 11-26-2013, 01:55 AM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
What ever goes unused or uneaten is wasteful. Some folks may say that grinding up the loins or the hams, and turning it into sausage is a waste of some of the best potential use of the prime cuts that make good steaks or jerky, or stew meat. But using some of the less choice cuts for sausage to ensure minimal unused meat is not wasteful.
I would agree. What I like to do with the hind quarters is to take a large section of it (bone in) & cut slits all over it, stuff it with garlic, coat the whole outside with mustard & Tony Chachere seasoning & brown it real good all over on top of the stove, adding a little water at a time as needed, until it begins to produce its own gravy & gets very tender. Add some rice & some garlic bread..... Mmmmm... Nothins finer.... Geez, I've gone & made this a cooking thread! LOL.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:57 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

^^^^^This!^^^^^^

it's your deer. fix deer sausage to your liking and tell anyone else to mind their own business and fix their deer meat how they choose to.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
If you like deer sausage have deer sausage do yourself a big favor and pay little mind what other people think, they aren't eating it!
There's a good life lesson in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
^^^^^This!^^^^^^

it's your deer. fix deer sausage to your liking and tell anyone else to mind their own business and fix their deer meat how they choose to.
That's what I was thinking.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #9

Liked 926 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 673

Making sausage or burger actually is less wasteful than not making it. When people use the meat for said purpose they always use lots of little pieces that are tough that either get thrown out or fed to the dog. The rib cage on most deer get thrown out for example. When making ground meat we strip that off and throw it in the pot. Another example is the lower leg sections. Tough and not worth the time unless it is ground up.

So whoever made that statement is wrong and doesn't have a clue. I love it when I give a deer away and know they will be grinding some of it up as I know that the the whole deer will be used not just select sections.

USMC 74-78

Last edited by limbkiller; 11-26-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2121 Times on 1147 Posts
Likes Given: 3190

Quote:
This!!!!
Last Sunday i ground up some fat wild hog bacon with deer meat. 1/3 hog to 2/3 deer with a smattering of Morton's works for me.