Deer Rifle Help - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Deer Rifle Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Remington makes reduced loads that have the sane trajectory as the full loads. They just use a lighter bullet.
The 308 with these loads will give you all the performance you will need for deer

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Why don't you check out the 7mm08? It's wickedly accurate, fairly flat trajectory, performs way out of proportion compared to it's size, and very easy on the shoulder. IMO it's arguably the best all-round whitetail cartridge ever designed. My daughter got 2 deer her 1st year with a 7mm08 at the age of 12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinginn View Post
I would suggest shooting a 300 mag before buying one,there is nothing in North America that a 30-06 cannot handle. I personally like a 7mm08,308 and a 243 for deer sized game.
I would tend to agree with both of these posts. 243 and 7mm08 are two of my favorite rounds for deer sized game and smaller. I have never personally used a 308, but I hear good things.

A 300 win mag was not designed for deer. That is way, way over gunning for deer sized game. I also tend to stay away from any of the magnum or short magnum/super short magnum rounds, so I may be biased. All comments are simply IMHO, to each their own.

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #13

Default 25-06?

how about one of these? no kick ,shoots flat if you need more than 100 yds. i ahve a Tikka 25-06 that is super accurate and a Rem 700 in a 308 that is also mucho accurate, i have taken deer with a marlin 44 mag also,its a great caliber for around 100 yrds or less IMO, have fun choosing,no matter what you get,gun shopping is almost always fun

Old 09-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #14
DKA

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Since we do not know what recoil scale you are own. Get some of your friends to let you shoot their rifles to get some idea of the amount of recoil from each. Bought my grandson a 7MM 08 and have one for myself, very recoil friendly and ours is in Remington 700 SPS, comes with a good recoil pad.

Keep on doing what you are doing now and you will keep on getting what you are getting now.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Old 09-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #15

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I am with glocks4life. The 25-06 is lower in recoil tham most of the one talked about. You can now shoot varmints, predators and deer with it. It is a great overall caliber that gets less and less thought because the 6.5 and 7mm are the rage today. Also the 260 remington will kill any deer in Nort America as will the 280 rem. there are just so many to shoose from. If it were me and I was choosing I would go with a 25-06 ammo is there and if you reload that cartridge lends itself to being stuffed with bullets ranging from 60gr to 120gr. You stuff a 60gr or 75gr sierra varminter bullet in a 25-06 case and load that puppy up and you have one highly accurate and smokin fast varmint zapper. Slap a 120gr in it and you got a deer slaying machine that will make them DRT out past where you can shoot.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:40 AM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I'm going to try to take my first deer in 10 years with one of my M1As. I have several commercial rifles including a couple of 30-06s, but since my son got me back into shooting and joining a range, i have acquired three M1As. The M14 was always my favorite and was the rifle I was originally issued years ago by Uncle S and i have always wanted one.
I have never hunted with the .308, but it is a very close runner up to the '06 and should be perfectly adequate for anything I will find in Georgia.
I handload for all my rifles but will be using the Nosler Ballistic Tip in 168 grains for hunting in the M1A.
I may also hunt some with one of my M1 Garands and then I will be right back to .30-06 the best all around do everythng get everything rifle cartridge ever invented.
My goal is to take at least one more deer and with a military rifle.