Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Deer rifle 270 vs 308

View Poll Results: Which is better for deer hunting in Texas?
.270 33 51.56%
.308 31 48.44%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Deer rifle 270 vs 308

Looking for my first rifle...mainly for deer hunting. I live in Texas and most likely need one that can hit white tail as far as 250 yards thought I am not planning on taking those shots (yet).

Recoil and ammo cost is a concern and I basically narrowed my choice to .270 or .308. I know 30-06 and magnums have a strong following for valid reasons but it is not for me.

For the stated intended use, which of these 2 caliber is better?

==============================================

Related to this poll...I am also looking at ($400-$600) rifles and my list is down to:
Howa 1500
Weatherby Vanguard
Savage 10FP
Remington 700 SPS

Cost is a concern and would like to get the best value out of these choices and any comments/recommendations will be much appreciated. BTW, rifle is listed in order of (my) preference as of this posting.

Thank you,

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

No opinion on caliber as this is better suited for those that hunt on a regular basis. I don't hunt deer, so this is out of my area of "opinion/expertise"

However, of the models you have chosen to compare I would recommend both the Howa 1500 or the Weatherby Vanguard ( both of which are basically the same action - CNC manufactured in Japan by Howa ).

Solid, flat bottomed action, easy to glass bed and free float. No flimsy plastic in place of bottom metal. Great safety & extractor. All around a very well built action that is a great base for any rifle or any build.

Yes. I own a Howa 1500 and I have extensive experience with the platform, so consider me a fan.

However, the Savage is a very good rifle action and it is made here in the USA.

The Remington? Well. I guess I can say they are very popular and easy to work on.

Best of luck.

JD

Old 03-31-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

On target at ranges less than 250 yds. No Texas deer will know the difference. The main thing to consider is the action. The .270 will require a long action (the same as the -06). The .308 can use the short action. The short action is lighter and a bit more rigid. I would go .308

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-31-2010, 01:18 AM   #4

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

I agree w/ both of the above posts. .308, and a Howa 1500 short action.
What are the odds!. I also have a .308 Howa 1500, but it is a heavy barrel.
Savage is a VG rifle, but my Savage 110 handles more like a 2x4 as far as the stock goes. Don't get me wrong, if it were not a shooter it would have been long gone.
I also was looking for a new Deer gun a year or so back. I ended up buying a New, without box, Browning 1981 BLR. I wanted a lever gun that could handle northeastern game at 200 yards. You are thinking the right way for your intended game and distance. Good for you!
I can honestly say the Howa shoots anything I have fed it very well.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:31 AM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Of the 2 calibers/cartridges listed, I'm going to go against the flow and recommend the .270. It offers a flatter trajectory with no more recoil. You could zero it for 200 yards and have a point blank range of 275 yards. IMO you don't NEED a .30 bullet for deer-especially texas deer.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I cannot argue with Bear's choice. It really is a toss up and a no lose situation. Both are more than adequate for Texas deer. Ammo choice and availability is "probably" better in .308. .270 should be plentiful as it is a popular caliber in Texas. Really a toss up.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd go with the 270, mainly because it may give you a little more flexibility in the future. It would make a much better antelope gun if you ever choose to hunt those, and has probably taken as many elk as any round out there. Jack O'Conner was right about the 270. As far as guns--they are all good, but I would always favor the Rem 700--plus it's made in America. Just one person's opinion...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 03-31-2010, 03:58 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I'd like to interject another rifle into the selection. I have 1st hand personal experience with the Marlin XL-7/XS-7 and for a 300$ rifle they perform wayy in excess of what you'd expect for a rifle of that price point. That way you'll have more money for a better scope and more ammo.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-31-2010, 08:16 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have fallen in love with both rounds here in TN but i voted for the .308 mainly because i wanted to level out the polls to 50 50. I would look around and see what prices you can find on the rifles and find the best deal for those 2 calibres then compare those 2 to see which is more accurate and less expensive and make the decision based on finances since both rounds are such good rounds the rifle itself will make a bigger difference.
2 cents`

Old 03-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
I have fallen in love with both rounds here in TN but i voted for the .308 mainly because i wanted to level out the polls to 50 50. I would look around and see what prices you can find on the rifles and find the best deal for those 2 calibres then compare those 2 to see which is more accurate and less expensive and make the decision based on finances since both rounds are such good rounds the rifle itself will make a bigger difference.
2 cents`
I can buy both caliber for the same price (same gun) on most places that I checked. 270 ammo costs a little than .308 for comparable brand/type but on some cases they are prized the same. Cost between the two doesn't play in my decision making. There seems to be more ammo choices in .308 and availability is better.

If I read right, 270 shoots flatter than 308. Given my lack of knowledge, I tend to equate that to better accuracy. Not sure which bullet is affected more by wind, deflection (if it hits something before the target), etc.