Deer Hunting Methods - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Deer Hunting Methods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I hunt in the thick woods of Michigan,with not many nearby fields and the deer only give you seconds to shoot.I have a permanent ground blind near their regular trail,it's plastic and don't move with the wind,I basically just sit pretty still all morning,no calls,antlers,bait or scents.I like the challenge,yet I feel like it's easy with that blind,I can move more than just open hunting.Deer come in and when they are 40-25 yards I take them down with my late grandfather's .444 Marlin.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 10-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ouch! (My late grandfathers .444 Marlin)?

I was a young twentysomething when Marlin introduced that cartridge!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #13

Default Ground

I enjoy hiding around on the ground. { "only" when I'm confident with other hunters around} The most fun; seeing how close I can get to the game. It isn't about the kill; more about the adventures

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I too use a climber, ladder stand, and pop up ground blind...depends on the weather, area and season.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Glockman 55 welcome to the forum and I hope you find your way.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
What different deer hunting methods does everyone here use?

strap-on tree stand / big wooden built deer stands / walking around?

Also is it possible to chase down a deer and tired it out?
I'm out west, high desert if you will, and deer populations are definitely scattered and difficult to find.

I usually find a big hill or overlook and glass. Maybe walk the entire hill and glass all directions until I find "something". Early morning and dusk are usually promising.

Run it down afterwards. Sometime we converge most times, well.. at least I knew they were in the area.

Water sources work on occasion. Other than that, maybe just "squaring" an area and hoping I hit a hot track or the animal itself. Random hunting I call it. "Squaring" is just that, walk so many yards or minutes that way, make a turn do it again and hopefully come back to where you started.

These methods work for me and I'm sure some have better ones. I like to find different herds or individuals and logged them for future reference. It helps when I have an idea where a fork hangs out and I have no qualms about bagging him when I'm on my last day, last hour, last chance sometimes of getting drawn for that particular area.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:11 AM   #17

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I drive my pickup to the edge of where some farm equipment is parked. Roll down the window and put the gun rest over the window opening . Set there and shoot the deer when thy come out of the corn feild. Its not hunting its population controll. I have permints for three of them this year.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #18

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

It's been awhile since I regularly deer hunt but the last few years I did it was a tree stand situation. These locations were here in California in the Sierras and around 3500 to 4000 feet in elevation.

Last edited by mrm14; 10-28-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #19

I'm on 7 acres in the MO Ozarks, and have a field by the house that is about 300 yards from the woods. I keep mineral blocks out along this "break" and start feeding the deer whole corn about 6 to 8 weeks before season. I put up my camo blind in the field at several premeasured distances. I put my folding lawn chair, cooler with soda, snacks, and lunch, my thermos of hot coffee, tripod and spotting scope, shooting rest, cell phone, and a 2-way radio to keep in touch with the house. I sneek out to my blind an hour before light, kick back and have coffee as I wait for daybreak and the deer to show up.

"Designated Marksman"-The guy that hunts down the enemy and shoots him in the head.