Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Deer Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Default Deer Hunting

I'm not new to hunting deer but have had little success in the past with deer and was wondering what techniques you all use to best kill deer. (stalking, tree stand, sitting on ground, etc.) ps hunting in Ga woods

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiahunter View Post
I'm not new to hunting deer but have had little success in the past with deer and was wondering what techniques you all use to best kill deer. (stalking, tree stand, sitting on ground, etc.) ps hunting in Ga woods
There are hundreds of ways to hunt "deer"......read some of these links for more tips......

http://www.google.com/search?q=DEER+HUNTING+TECHNIQUES&rlz=1I7ADBR_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7

Old 08-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #3

I'm a 51 year old Georgia native and have been deer hunting in this state since I killed my first deer when I was 12. I've killed my share of deer over the years and will be glad to help if I can. First though, answer a few questions to give me some idea what you're into.

How old are you?

How long have you been hunting?

Where do you hunt?

How much land do you hunt on?

Is it public or private land?

How many hunters besides you hunt there?

What kind of weapon do you hunt with?

I know that's a bunch of questions, but if you're going to hunt in Georgia these are factors you must contend with.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #4

I'm 14 been hunting since I was 10 hunt at Piedmont and on about 23 acres of forest

Old 08-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #5

hunt with dad sometimes use a .308 or a .243

Old 08-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
hunt with dad sometimes use a .308 or a .243
Either one is good for deer. I personnally would prefer the .308. It would give you a little extra range but that probably wouldn't matter in a wooded area. And the .243 would have less recoil if you are sensitive to it.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:40 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
I'm 14 been hunting since I was 10 hunt at Piedmont and on about 23 acres of forest
I recommend a ladder stand. I hunt from a 17' ladder stand in a wooded area. I have had deer walking around my stand with me in it so close that I could have dropped something on them. Put a stand up well before season opens to give deer time to get used to it. I leave mine up all year.

If you can, set up a stand so you can watch an area where there are oak trees. Deer like acorns. I killed a big doe that way last season with my crossbow. It was a 30 yard shot.

I wash my hunting clothes in scent free detergent and shower with scent free soap. I also spray my hunting boots with scent eliminator. And when you are in the stand, keep movement and noise to a minimum.

If I am hunting in the morning, I get to my stand at least an hour before daylight. If hunting in the afternoon, I get there at least two to three hours before dark.

I don't know about Georgia laws, but if you can, put out a salt block. That will help to draw deer and is cheap. You may need to take it up before season opens.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:12 AM   #8

I do much of my hunting in the Piedmont region too. Since you only have 23 acres to hunt on you'll want to walk the outter areas of your property to see what your neighbors have. If you border land that has crops on it, you'll want to look to see where the deer are going back and forth from that property to yours. You'll find a blind or treestand set up in that area will work wonders. Use the hunters on the property that surrounds yours to move the deer to you. On small parcels of land like yours, this is a very effective technique and works really well especially the first week or so of the season.

Also look on your property for acorn trees. Look for ones near water sources like creeks. We've had a bad drought in many areas of the state this year and this will affect how the trees produce their crops. If you can find them near water it will improve your chances since water and food maybe in short supply this year.

Use the hunters on neighboring land to push deer to you. Scout your property to see if you have any land that slowly rises up. This will usually be where pine trees gradually move into more hardwoods. This will cause the deer to be funneled and as the area rises up it will allow you a chance to choose a stand sight on the higher ground and in the morning when the scent naturally rises with morning wind conditions will guarantee you a place where you can ambush the deer and they won't smell you even if you're hunting on the ground.

If you have a tree stand by all means use it in the areas I've just described. If you don't have one you can be just as successful hunting from the ground. Keep your back against a tree. Put some brush or blown down branches in front of you and keep your movement to minimum. Remember in Georgia you have to keep your orange vest on at all times. Don't worry about that. It's not the color that bothers deer, it's the movement. Stay still.

If you can, hunt all day. Take some food and stay out there. I've killed more than a few deer in the middle of the day, and you can't kill a deer if you're not in the woods.

Take your hunting clothes and wash them in baking soda. That will cut down on the U/V content. Then take your clothes and hang them outside to dry. When they are dry, take the clothes and put them in a big garbage bag. Then put pine needles, branches from pine and hardwood trees along with some dirt and seal the bag up and let it set for a week and you have then successfully removed most of the scent and U/V from your clothes.

The .308 and .243 are both excellent deer calibers. I've killed over 200 deer in my life in different states and most were killed with either a .308 or a .243.
Make sure you have your rifle sighted in and use the same ammo you hunt with to sight in with. Different brand ammo can throw off your zero even at close range.

Don't put out a salt block as that is illegal in Georgia, although it might not be in a few more years. But for now it is.

The last and best piece of advice I can offer is to be patient. You must be prepared to wait and wait and then wait some more. That's why they call it deer hunting and not deer killing. Have faith in yourself and stay out as long as you can legally. Many hunters have missed the buck of a lifetime because they didn't wait 5 more minutes.

I hope this helped a little and if you have any more specific questions please feel free to ask and I'll gladly help if I can. Remember you are the future so it's important to get you out there and keep you out there.

1*

Last edited by jungleworker; 08-10-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5265 Times on 2744 Posts
Likes Given: 332

being down wind is the most important factor. all those scents camo etc arent worth a crap if the deer can smell ya. if you put human blocking covering scents on to a deer you smell like a human covered in a funny smell.

find where they are traveling or feeding then setup downwind

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #10

Liked 112 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Go out on opening day where you know alot of hunters are-sit in a blind and sit all day from sunup to sundown,once all the guys go in for lunch,stay put,now it's your time to kill the deer they spook to you.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves