Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Deer Hunting for 1st time (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/deer-hunting-1st-time-30801/)

falseharmonix 08-24-2010 04:18 AM

Deer Hunting for 1st time

I have been offered the chance to go deer hunting in MO this season with my woman's father and her two brothers. AWESOME!

Now, on to the fun news. I've only ever chased after rabbits, squirrels, and quail. All were with 12 or 20 gauge, or a .22. I'll be using a mil-surp rifle from her dad (he's got more rifles than you can shake a stick at) I believe I'll be using a 7mm, but he also has several .308 with some glass on them.

Several scattered questions for you all.....

What is the recoil of a 7mm as compared to a 12-gauge slug?
What is the recoil of a .308 as compared to a 12-gauge slug?
(I will have a chance to get used to the gun before we go hunting, just want to have an idea of what to expect before I pull the trigger)

Any suggestions you can offer a 1st time deer hunter? Clothing? Shot placement?

We will be hunting on their own private property, and I will have a tag acquired before we hit the woods. The four of us should be the only people on the property.

dunerunner 08-24-2010 04:33 AM

Answers:

7mm - Sharper with a bite
.308 Win - Sharper, with a bite

1st time....Wear blaze orange and shoot for the lights!

skullcrusher 08-24-2010 05:30 AM

Any large caliber in mil-surp will feel close to a 12 ga slug. Think metal or wood butt plates. If you can, use one with a sling. 12-14 lbs in a rifle is not something I personally enjoy while hunting.

Clothing; make sure you are wearing over the legal amount of blaze orange and dress for the weather. Layers, as you can strip them away if needed. Find out if you will be sitting alot or walking alot. It makes a huge difference in the layering.

Shot placement is about the size of a pie plate just behind the shoulder area. Depending on how the deer is standing, i.e.: broadside, quarter away, quarter to, straight on, straight away...

You should have no problem googling "vitals" for any animal you might hunt. You will see the location of the heart, lungs, liver, etc.

Ask your woman's father for advice on scent control and other deer hunting advice. Sounds like a great opportunity to bond or never to be heard from again. Either way, it won't be boring. :)

Shihan 08-24-2010 05:53 AM

Make sure not to refer to her as "your Woman" around the Father, especially while walking in the woods with loaded weapons.:D

falseharmonix 08-24-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 337378)
Make sure not to refer to her as "your Woman" around the Father, especially while walking in the woods with loaded weapons.:D

Within the initial 5 minutes of meeting the man, he started showing me his collection of mil-surp rifles and his pistols (no, not in the "if you hurt her I'm going to hurt you" sense :rolleyes:). He's quite an awesome dude :-)

amoroque 08-24-2010 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shot Placement:

Deadman1 08-25-2010 03:15 AM

Well, when you shoot at a deer you probably wont notice any recoil. As for shot placement, when you have a deer standing broadside, look for the point of the elbow on the front leg, then go just above it 2" to 3" inches on the rib cage and squeeze one off. ;) Most times that will take the wind out of them pretty quick.

Clothing; buy the best and warmest boots you can find. You'll be able to stay in the woods a lot longer if your feet aren't cold.

Good luck on your hunt.

spittinfire 08-25-2010 11:56 AM

Will you be able to get some trigger time before taking a shot on game? What kind of ranges could you be shooting at?

nwrednk 09-02-2010 01:16 PM

first deer?

Well, use the weapon you have the most experience with! I harvested my
first deer in 1980 with a Winchester 94 in 30-30 cal with a .170gr bullet in
the neck as it peered at me from behind a tree! The shot was uphill @ about
a 45 degree angle @ 100 yards & sent that 6 point muley into a backflip!
Call it beginners luck, but that kill from that large muley yielded enough meat
for the 4 of us for the season! (We feasted on deer liver & onions the next
day)! "That is the easy part...but as an initiation into taking the life of a game
animal...you must be prepared to field-dress one! (If you have a weak
stomach... then this activity is "not for you")! Btw, Killing a big game animal
should never be "fun"...but it has always been a nessessary task to put
food on the table for winter & you are serving your part in helping your state
manage big game! We waste no part of the game we kill as some of the bones
& the toughest meat & trimmings go to feed our dogs!:)

lonyaeger 09-02-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwrednk (Post 343174)
Btw, Killing a big game animal
should never be "fun"...but it has always been a nessessary task to put
food on the table for winter & you are serving your part in helping your state
manage big game! We waste no part of the game we kill as some of the bones
& the toughest meat & trimmings go to feed our dogs!:)

Well said and bravo!