Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Deer in the "hood" (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/deer-hood-52646/)

1982flh80 11-28-2011 04:06 PM

Deer in the "hood"

1 Attachment(s)
I swear there are more in my back yard than the mountains. My question is, how did it all get started? As a kid, walking to school we used to hear ringnecks cackling in the woods. Used to have fun stalking them and watching 'em flush. Great pracice for small game season. Never even thought of seeing deer in the city. Now, there are deer in the streets and no more game birds in the nearby woods. Don't even hear the pheasants anymore. It's been decades and I haven't seen one in the natural. Game commission commented on this subject last week. Says the deer know a good thing when they see it. No predators, no hunting, food, cover, water etc... These buggers thrive and we can't even hunt them. Crap. I could bag my limit in my back yard. Could also shoot the livin' hell oughta crows too. Got bunches of them as well.

trip286 11-28-2011 04:50 PM

I read an article in north american hunter on this very thing.

Check and see if you can bow hunt within city limits.

lonewolf101 11-28-2011 05:27 PM

You should see the size of the deer here in Grant park and bender park the racks are big and you cant hunt them either our DNR are BACKWARDS!.

trip286 11-28-2011 06:49 PM

I want to say the article I read was about city deer in Wisconsin. Milwaukee is Wisconsin right? If so, then you can apply for a permit to hunt deer within city limits. You would have to jump through several hoops, and I didn't pay attention to all the requirements because it doesn't apply in my stomping grounds, but you should look into it if your interested.

OP, I have no clue on Pennsylvania though.

orangello 11-28-2011 07:15 PM

Maybe you should invest in a pre-uglified pickup truck with a LARGE brushguard & an extra set of foglights. ;)

fmj 11-28-2011 07:32 PM

Here in IN we have what are known as "Urban deer zones" They let you hunt city deer with archery tackle and take double bag limits.

For instance in this area Allen county bag limit is 1 buck and 8 doe. So if i could bag some land (theres the rub, getting permission to hunt) i could theoretically bag 2 bucks and 16 doe a year here in the urban zone.....and the zone is a pretty extensive chunk of dirt.

Marlinman 11-28-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj
Here in IN we have what are known as "Urban deer zones" They let you hunt city deer with archery tackle and take double bag limits.

For instance in this area Allen county bag limit is 1 buck and 8 doe. So if i could bag some land (theres the rub, getting permission to hunt) i could theoretically bag 2 bucks and 16 doe a year here in the urban zone.....and the zone is a pretty extensive chunk of dirt.

We have that here in MO. I just dont know the limits.

lonewolf101 11-28-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 638200)
I want to say the article I read was about city deer in Wisconsin. Milwaukee is Wisconsin right? If so, then you can apply for a permit to hunt deer within city limits. You would have to jump through several hoops, and I didn't pay attention to all the requirements because it doesn't apply in my stomping grounds, but you should look into it if your interested.

OP, I have no clue on Pennsylvania though.

I'l have to look into that one